PDA

View Full Version : Start up - Equipment Approx Costs & Questions

JasonBr
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
I own a Landscaping Design & Installation company, and we are looking into expanding into matenience. Ive been lurking for the last few days and have had several of my questions answered, along with several good pieces of advice. I do have a few questions regarding start up costs equipment wise.

First I wanna make sure Im not forgetting and major equipment, then I was wondering what a ball park figure for good commerical equipment would be per crew.

I already have in mind the trucks we will use so thats taken care of.

Trailers ( I estimate $3500.) (Anything recommended regarding features? Of course Tools Boxes, Ramps)

42-48" Mower (Been looking at Skag / Kubota, $4-$5000)
(Benifits / Drawbacks to sizes, unforseen problems)

Blades - How often to replace (costs)

Weed Eaters, Blowers, Trimmers ( No idea need help, whats good and whats approx cost)

Hand tools, ( Pruners, Rakes,Shovels, Hand Trimmers) Most this stuff we have in the landscaping division not too concerned.

Any items many deem "optional" but would be very helpful if money wasnt the drawback.

JasonBr
06-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Hello...anyone?

charmill26
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
what size lawns are you trying to target?

txgrassguy
06-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Dude, you are asking for a bunch of info which has already been covered in previous posts.
The turf sites you are targeting is actually a much more important question - residential, commercial, both - will significantly impact the equipment choice.
Personally, I would recommend stand on units as they cost less than a comparable sit down ztr, occupy much less space on a trailer, are easier to work on due to accessibility and finally your crews will pick up garbage easier because they won't be getting up off their butts.

HFS
06-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Look into a good 36" and a 48" to 54" mower. Get the 36" and one of the others. I'm a fan of the stand-on models as well. Spend the money and get a good utility trailer with locking racks. As for the other stuff. I use all Echo for ease of service. Choose something that you can get parts for quick in the field if you need to. Around here all the Ace Hardware stores are going from Stihl to Echo. So I can get parts and service in almost any city. About blades, well that depends on how much you'll be mowing and what kind of turf. You may need to change them everyday, or every week??? However, like the other post said. Everything you need to know is already here for you. Just keep doing searches. LATER...

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 02:44 PM

these are consumiables, as you know it depends on who much you use them.

I can get about 3 weeks out of a set of baldes. Gators were out faster for me. HAd the best luck with OEM's, BUT it depends on what your cutting,

I have a customer that it's a dust bowl. so for her I use a low lift balde,
some have thick st august, grass so I use gators,

Weed Eaters, Blowers, Trimmers ( No idea need help, whats good and whats approx cost)

I like echo, there around 300.00,
blowers too, around 300.00

If your looking at homeowners you will run in to bagging, some will want it. so there are bags ,
you need to carrie roundup, and then there's fret,
and all the safety equiptment you will need,

DuraCutter
06-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I own a Landscaping Design & Installation company, and we are looking into expanding into matenience. Ive been lurking for the last few days and have had several of my questions answered, along with several good pieces of advice. I do have a few questions regarding start up costs equipment wise.

First I wanna make sure Im not forgetting and major equipment, then I was wondering what a ball park figure for good commerical equipment would be per crew.

I already have in mind the trucks we will use so thats taken care of.

Trailers ( I estimate $3500.) (Anything recommended regarding features? Of course Tools Boxes, Ramps)

Hand tools, ( Pruners, Rakes,Shovels, Hand Trimmers) Most this stuff we have in the landscaping division not too concerned.

Any items many deem "optional" but would be very helpful if money wasnt the drawback.

Why maintenance. Lawncare returns low profits. Installs are way more profitable. If you do lawncutting, do it for larger projects like condos that will need tree removal, retainer wall replacements and sod replacement etc...

Most residential work is not even worth it...:hammerhead:

:)

LawnBoy89
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Depending on what you are mowing and how many crews you need to supply with mowers I would get 3 mowers to start. An eXmark Lazer 60'' (I also hear alot of good things about the Hustler 60'', but now that I think of it I hear alot of bad things as well, I assume if you are buying all this eqiupment you will be demoing it first), and eXmark Turf Tracer 60'', and another TT with either a 48'' or 36'' IF you need accesibility into a gated area otherwise I would change that out with either another Lazer or TT 60''

Shindaiwa and Redmax are the best for 2 stroke equiptment, don't let anyone tell you different. I would also probably supply the crew with atleast 3 trimmers around 26cc The T261X would be a good choice and about 2 backpack blowers your going to spend around 2k in the 2 stroke department just for trimmers and blowers if you buy them brand new.

You will also want to invest a little money in trimmer and possibly blower racks, don't spend all this money on eqiuptment and then let it roll around in the back of your pickup I made that mistake last year you'll be going threw trimmers like water I spent about $200 on a 3 slot trimmer rack and my buddy made a box on the tongue of my trailer for both my blowers and gas cans.

Don't even consider a single axle trailer, a double axle rides so much nicer and if you get 3 mowers you are going to need the size anyways.

The prices are very approx. I would say around $2k for your 2 stroke stuff and if you buy brand new around $20k for the mowers a new Lazer with the big motor is around $10K and the w/b will probably be somewhere around $6k which will include floating deck and hydro pump system although you can save alot by getting any of this stuff used its just hard to find sometimes. I actually got a great deal on a 60'' TT off ebay spent about $100 after I bought it on a couple small parts and it looks brand new it just depends on how much free time you have to do stuff like this.

An average full size mowing trailer is going to cost BALLPARK $30G it just depends if you want to spend the money now or you want to make the money and then spend it. It sounds like you already have a profitable and big business going already so don't make the mistake of underestimating and having to replace everything you buy with bigger stuff.

TimTim2008
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
unenclosed $800-$1200 single axel

mower $1200 used

blower $250 used / $400 new

Trimmer $200 used, $300 new

+ Tag
+gas
+ flyers/biz cards, marketing..

Truck+

hsieh
05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
i got yardstick brand weed eater and blower at menards both over 100 bucks and easy to start.

RickR1818
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I also have to question why are you getting into maintenance? It seems as though you are going in reverse. Most companies start in maintenance and realize there is much more money in installs. Plus, this is the wrong year to try your hand in maintenance.

81Bronk36
05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Some people forgot the most important thing about equipment... you can't buy what they dont sell in your area.... One reason I dont run walkers or dixie choppers.... they only sell Exmark, Gravely, Ferris, Grasshopper, Toro, Great Dane and Hustler. The dealer that treats me best is the Exmark and Gravely, so I will be buying an Exmark when I have a whole lot more then 9 lawns. I run all Stihl handhelds because Echo dealer is a PITA and Shindawa is like 30 miles away.

driver5
05-19-2009, 11:52 PM
I own a Landscaping Design & Installation company, and we are looking into expanding into maintenance. Ive been lurking for the last few days and have had several of my questions answered, along with several good pieces of advice. I do have a few questions regarding start up costs equipment wise.

First I wanna make sure I'm not forgetting and major equipment, then I was wondering what a ball park figure for good commerical equipment would be per crew.

I already have in mind the trucks we will use so that's taken care of.

We live kinda in the same region. so here is What my ten years of advice is to you.

What ever mower you buy, get a walk behind with the biggest engine you can get on it. You will be glad in the long run that you did that. Always start a lawn mowing business with a walk behind. You can add the rider later as your business grows. But depending on how big it is, you may need it too. But get a walk behind first.

your trailer is of what works best for you. open or enclosed is totally up too. you. Open trailers offer the most versitility. make sure that your trailer is a tandem axle and has tandem brakes.
do yourself a favor and buy a Extreme trimmer rack. end of story.

Your trimmer needs to be a shindiawa or a Stihl. End of story.
Same for back pack blower.

On your lawn mower, make sure that you install a EZ chute. or chute blocker from EZchute.com. trust me. this is a life saver, and I cant believe that I went so many years with not having one. Huge time saver keeping the clippings out of the beds n such.

Blades....... On a 60 inch mower, those blades will run you around 30-40 bucks. Honestly, if you maintain them properly, they can last you a season easily.. then at the next season, turn them into the first cut of the season blades for all the little sticks that you will run over. then slap on a new set. Im getting two to three years out of a set of blades.. but keep in mind... I've got like five or six sets for one mower. they last.

PM me if you have any other specific questions.. I will be glad to help.

scott