PDA

View Full Version : New business here

Clean Lawn
06-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Greetings everyone. I am sure this is a question that is asked a lot by newcomers to the lawn care/ landscaping business but I was wondering if someone might be able to direct me to more information regarding -
1. pricing for lawn care and landscaping
2. best advertising methods people have used with success
3. how to get information on getting commercial contracts for lawn care and landscaping? meaning how to find out who is accepting bids and how to price commercial vs. residential
4. what in your opinions is the better commercial lawn equipment on the market that you use
I have seen one or two different "how to" books but I don't want to blow money on something that isn't going to help me answer the questions I have.

:confused:

bohiaa
06-26-2007, 09:15 PM
1. pricing for lawn care and landscaping It will vary. you have to figure YOUR cost

2. best advertising methods people have used with success It will vary, what works in my area may not work in yours.

3. how to get information on getting commercial contracts for lawn care and landscaping? meaning how to find out who is accepting bids and how to price commercial vs. residential

you have to go ask. walk right in and ask. again you have to figure your cost.

4. what in your opinions is the better commercial lawn equipment on the market that you use
I have seen one or two different "how to" books but I don't want to blow money on something that isn't going to help me answer the questions I have.

All top end lawn equiptment is GREAT. that's the ole ford chevy thing.

the questions you are asking are hard to answer, advertisement is a field of study in it self, If you look around in your area there are tons of advertisement againcys <-- spelling.... some have GREAT responce with just newspaper ads, others have better luck with direct mail, and still others only do flyers.

I wish there was a one time answer to all your Q's but there's Just NOT.
if you notice some business will ask you, How did you hear about us?
dont answer them.... that 's called research. there trying to see waht works.
that's what you have to do. it's expensive. and you will make mistakes.

Good luck

Clean Lawn
06-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks Dave :)

wooley99
06-27-2007, 12:07 AM
I agree with what 'Dave' said. In addition:

1. Figuring out pricing is hard. Figuring your cost and expected fee per hour is easy. Finding out what others in your area or region are charging for the same type of work to determine if you're competitive isn't always so easy. Regardless, someone is always cheaper but you can't chase the cheapos.

4. If you PM me your address I'll mail you the "How to start and Run a Landscaping Business" by Joel LaRusik book I bought a couple months ago. The book is good if you're starting from ground zero and the CD doesn't get along with my MacBook anyway.

WJW Lawn
06-27-2007, 10:12 AM
Another good investment for you would be http://www.lawncaresuccess.com/lawncare/ by Sean Adams --He has sample letters...contracts...and so on that would help you out tremendously. He's not gonna tell you how to price a yard, but only you can know that.

Here seems to be the general consensus on the AVERAGE prices here on lawnsite. Just use it as a base.

1/4- 30-35
1/3- 40
1/2-45
2/3-50
3/4- 55
1 acre- 60
1.5 - 85

Again...I just did a litttle search for you...and these seem to be prices guys list around here...so it may give you an idea. But again--it depends on your costs. However---I like the base price of 30-35--and in most guys eyes here, that won't make you a lowballer.

Check out the Sean Adams system! You'll find it useful...after all...he is the creator of this site.

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Whos dave ?

wooley99
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I think Clean Lawn mistook your signature quote as your signature and I liked it...http://www.lawnsite.com/images/PAYUP.GIF

WJW Lawn
06-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Thank you Ronald McDonald!

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I agree with what 'Dave' said. In addition:

1. Figuring out pricing is hard. Figuring your cost and expected fee per hour is easy. Finding out what others in your area or region are charging for the same type of work to determine if you're competitive isn't always so easy. Regardless, someone is always cheaper but you can't chase the cheapos.

4. If you PM me your address I'll mail you the "How to start and Run a Landscaping Business" by Joel LaRusik book I bought a couple months ago. The book is good if you're starting from ground zero and the CD doesn't get along with my MacBook anyway.

I like this answer,

I'm kind of expensive, so I only cater to certain types of customers, they all know I'm insured, bonded, and honest...this goes a long way. especially in the word of mouth advertisement,

the part about the cheaper, is GREAT advice. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Clean Lawn
06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Actually I did mistake it for you name. I just save the Dave and assumed and well know what happens when you assume something, you make a a_ s out of oneself.
Sorry about that but I do appreciate everyone helping me out. If it wasn't for all of the great suggestions and helping hands I received since this post and finding this great site. I believe I would still feel confused and have no idea of all the information available. It is really nice to be able to talk to professionals about this business. This is a rare as most business do not have this luxury.
Thanks again for everything it is greatly appreciated.
Sorry again Dave. :dizzy:

Your Lawn First
06-29-2007, 11:30 AM
1. Pricing for landscaping is hard without knowing the yard, bed, travel time equipment used, hours ect.

2. Best advertising is word of mouth, then flyers, door hangers, cards, postcards local paper ect. but best is word of mouth.

3. Just go right up there and ask when they are taking bids, call the grounds manager, as for bidding this once again depends on the same info I gave you in #1.

4. I use all Exmark mowers and all Echo trimmers and blowers, don't go and buy any books just go to the library and you can get as much info as you need. Read this website and you will also get a lot of info you need, also try www.getgopher.com they have a lot of paper work you might need.

Best word of advise I can give you is just go out and do it on your own, I wouldn't start on Commercial lawns first go with the resd. and get you feet wet for about a year then go for the big ones, that way by then yo will know all your prices and what stuff cost. good luck

zz4guy
06-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Regarding pricing, I would try to get a baseline from what some of your competition charges.

When I started I got an estimate for my house and for my Dad's commercial lot from a half dozen different companies.

It really gives you confidence when your pricing right about where everybody else is at.