PDA

View Full Version : People say no pavers.. what else to use for pool deck?

mrusk
06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I have a customer who is almost ready to go for kool decking for around her pool. I would hate to see that happen since a potentially large job would turn into a small small job for me.

Customer does not want pavers. Hates all the seams. I tried to talk her into marble, but she does not like the look. I'd like to use bluestone but they are afraid of how hot they will get.

What else is there that will not get hot?

I never taught i'd loose a job to concrete, but i feel this one slipping away. It looks like kool deck or any type of stamped concrete is going to be around half of what i will do ANYTHING for.

Matt

crab
06-26-2007, 11:33 PM
try sandstone flagging,i don't what cool decking is but if it looks good who cares?maybe you should offer it ,seems like you do a lot of pools,anyway good luck.

DVS Hardscaper
06-26-2007, 11:35 PM
First you said "pavers are too many seams"

then you mentioned that you may loose the job to stamped c-crete.

WELL STAMPED CONCRETE HAS SIMULATED JOINTS TOO!!!!!

So what is it?

Money issues?

Or Appearance Issues???

mrusk
06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
First you said "pavers are too many seams"

then you mentioned that you may loose the job to stamped c-crete.

WELL STAMPED CONCRETE HAS SIMULATED JOINTS TOO!!!!!

So what is it?

Money issues?

Or Appearance Issues???

There are alot of different textures of stamped crete that does not have alot of seams.

Honestly, i think the people would like a natural stone but i think it comes back to the $$$ issue.

crab
06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
stamp crete = cheap i would just say byby,sure you have lots more work coming up.

poolboy
06-27-2007, 05:44 PM
How about flagstone, or crappy pie gravel?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
We have a new paver manufacturer at our supplier. They make concrete slabs (18"X24" and 24"x24" I think that's the size) that looks like travertine. This stuff looks GREAT! I can't say how it weathers though. The company is called Navastone.

skidster32
06-27-2007, 06:46 PM
i agree with crab, stamped concrete

PaperCutter
06-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Matt- what if you did a hybrid, kooldecking and either pavers or natural stone worked into a portion of the decking? I designed something similar for a client that wanted bluestone but was (very understandably) concerned about how hot it would be underfoot. It helped on cost, too.

Dave

PatriotLandscape
06-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Travertine stays cool.

forestfireguy
06-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Matt,

Check out Solana stone, it is not cheap, especially for custom coping but it might have the look you are trying to achieve.

ChampionLS
06-29-2007, 01:02 AM
I think she needs a slap in the face! :cry:

I had a customer drive me completely crazy back in April, because they didn't like "all the lines". I tried to steer them towards a non chamfered tumbled paver that would be less noticeable and she could not understand why somebody would want damaged pavers. I saw several other brand pavers and styles on their cracked concrete patio that was sunk in the middle, and figured other contractors had been here already.

The best bet for your customer is plant grass or just get out of there. Those people are sharks.

tthomass
06-30-2007, 02:19 AM
stamped concrete = chit

mrusk
06-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Honestly i think it comes down to the $$.

I told the people that no matter what type of material i use (stone, pavers, marble, etc,) i can not do there pool deck for less then 30k. They were not thrilled with that #. I refuse to do anything for under 20 bucks a sq and stamped crete is around 10.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-30-2007, 07:03 PM
stamped crete is around 10.

That must be some junk stamping. A good stamp job around here is $20 and up. You can get cheaper, but its shows the cheap price.

ChampionLS
07-01-2007, 02:09 AM
$20 bucks a Sq. Ft. for pavers?? thats really high. We're around $12 (basic 6x6-6x9's non tumbled, no demo- all virgin ground) and we still lose jobs to guys that lay at $10psf.

Cantona
07-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I know at our company if it is something out of the scope of our work we get all the quotes from the stamped concrete company and let them know we will be using them as a sub. We then put a small to hefty mark up on the quote and quote it to the customer. I would say last year alone we subbed out over 150,000 dollars worth of work at anywhere from 20-33% mark up. Our customers having trust and a relationship with us allows us to do this. We also never feel like we miss out on a sale

mrusk
07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
I know at our company if it is something out of the scope of our work we get all the quotes from the stamped concrete company and let them know we will be using them as a sub. We then put a small to hefty mark up on the quote and quote it to the customer. I would say last year alone we subbed out over 150,000 dollars worth of work at anywhere from 20-33% mark up. Our customers having trust and a relationship with us allows us to do this. We also never feel like we miss out on a sale

Using subs is not new to me. Using a shi#ty product is.

forestfireguy
07-03-2007, 10:32 PM
There are just some folks who don't have any idea how much things cost. I don't undersatnd some customers who are like this. I actually had a guy tell me I could install pavers for 2 dollars a square foot over cost of the pavers. My response to him was I couldn't do them that cheap in my own yard, much less anyone elses.

AceFinish
08-20-2007, 12:58 PM
hey I am from bloomington and know of some side skid work if your are intrested

kemmer
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Matt- what if you did a hybrid, kooldecking and either pavers or natural stone worked into a portion of the decking? I designed something similar for a client that wanted bluestone but was (very understandably) concerned about how hot it would be underfoot. It helped on cost, too.

Dave

Hey papercutter, what did you use to create that plan, it looks great. was it just cad?

bullethead
08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Sounds like they don't fit your target market. So either walk or change your target. We all make tradeoffs, sounds like your customer has to. If your foot is already in the door - explain why you don't like product x,y or z - so you have an educated customer - if they still want to go for it, sub it out, mark it up and move on down the road. Nothing says you have show future clients that project.