PDA

View Full Version : gatorade or

unit28
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
water?

I usually drink alot of water before going out.
But the humidity is killer, so I've been starting with gatorade.

What's up?

WJW Lawn
06-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I do water..and Gatorade...because drinking all water doesnt put any electrolytes back in your body. In the morning I drink a Rock Star though lol

carcrz
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I do both. Actually I buy a mix of another brand, can't remember which one though. Tastes the same.

marckxman
06-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Walmart sells this stuff called Replenish. It has electrolytes, no calories, an it is cheap. $2 for 10 packs and each one makes a 22oz bottle. You have to mix it yourself but for 1/5 the price of a Gatorade, I can manage.

Oh,and it tastes just like the real thing.

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Gatorade is really NOT that good for you

stuffdeer
06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Gatorade is really NOT that good for you

Why. Explain.

The Captain
06-27-2007, 11:29 AM
stuffdeer....I would imagine it's because of the high sodium and high sugar content. I drink it like water, even use the lemon-lime in my iced tea, although my heart doctor isn't too happy about all that. Helps prevent leg cramps for me.

MarcSmith
06-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Why. Explain.

if you drink gatorade in the Fierce flavor, your poo changes color....:)

Water is the best by far, you need to rely on your foods to replace your missing minerals and such. But gatorade does in a pinch and I when I'm cutting my own lawn I drink gatorade, but when i was working the field. i always kept water. made it easier to clean out the coolers as well...

BQLC
06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Both but mostly water

Prestige-Lawncare
06-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Water ... and lots of it on really hot or humid days. A Gatorade now and then. What I do is when I pack my cooler in the morning ... in go the bottles of water (I refill them with water from a gallon jug ... lots cheaper) ... then sometimes I put ice tea in a couple of bottles (for with my light lunch) ... and for the most part I pack baggies of fresh veggies for lunch (carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc) ... and maybe some fruit if I have some.

Eat light ... eat healthy ... and drink plenty of fluids. We all know how we like the rain on our lawns ... well ... we need the water for our bodies too.

:weightlifter:

Turf Terror
06-27-2007, 01:21 PM
....I would imagine it's because of the high sodium and high sugar content.

Yup...
I have Type2 diabetes. My doc said to avoid Gatorade because of the sugar and sodium.
He also suggested staying away from my favorite--Diet Coke, because of the sodium.
I used to drink a half dozen 20oz bottles of the Coke during a hot day's work.
Bad Bad...
Instead, I fill my jug with ice and water....then squeeze a bunch of lemons or limes into it.
I was getting a lot of leg cramps during sleep. Sometimes so bad that I had to get out of bed and walk them off. The doc had me start taking potassium supplements and I haven't had any leg cramps since.

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Why. Explain.

well didn't want to open up a can of worms. But here goes

If you drink a whole bottle of Gatorade you are consuming about 56 grams of sugar -- this is not required in a normal sedentary lifestyle -- and in this situation it could be considered "bad" for you.

Gatorade Ingredients
water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5

It's MOSTLY sugar!! Get their other product PROPEL 2carbs/sugar!! and you still get the important stuff ---- potassium,etc... which is what replaces your electro-lites

It's a re-hydrator, done with salts and sugars.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah , Propel is much better - but we still do mostly water.

unit28
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
why is gatorade considered better for rehydration?
my Dr says gatorade is good when I had the flu. He used to say
drink 7up.

As far as the other stuff like sugar do we just sweat it out or is it unprocessed?
If it's unprocessed I'd just get some cinnamon pills.

G.M.Landscaping
06-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Gatorade never seemed to quench my thirst like water does. Somethimes it would give me heartburn. I only drink iced down water now.

Ducke
06-27-2007, 08:28 PM
I drink water about a Gal a day when its hot.
At lunch break I try to get a (green Tea) Ice tea.
just to get some flavor.
as for muscle cramps I take B Complex vitamins one in the breakfast one at supper.
I also try to eat well and keep fit :weightlifter: :walking: and a little :drinkup: now and then.

MMMMMMMMM Beer The cure of all that ales you.:cool2:

Ducke:)

jkingrph
06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
stuffdeer....I would imagine it's because of the high sodium and high sugar content. I drink it like water, even use the lemon-lime in my iced tea, although my heart doctor isn't too happy about all that. Helps prevent leg cramps for me.

Each person's needs are different. The sodium you are adding is probably helping with the leg cramps.

KTO Enterprises
06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Gatorade is high in sugar and will cause bad diarreah. A lot of atheletes have gone to drinking pedialyte, or some other infants juice because of the lack of sugar. I would only drink one gatorade to 3 times as much as water. I just drink all water and carry salt tablets. Take one or two on really hot days

APV's Mowing
06-29-2007, 05:01 AM
i drink both, i mix a 2 gal. jug with the gatorade mix once a week, and drink that however long it lasts me, then the rest of the week i drink all water, and what can help with leg cramps and such is to take a mulitvitimin, i take one for the "active" person or w/e and they help me stay more awake during the day and get better sleep

mdlwn1
06-29-2007, 08:18 AM
We used to drink 70/30 water/gatorade most of the day. Our cooler had OJ, iced tea, and coke for when you needed a little extra sugar. The gatorade/ water mix seemed to fine at this ratio. Any more gatorade and you could feel it was too much after drinking 2 gallons in a day.

unit28
06-29-2007, 09:09 AM
How about energy drinks?

One thing I have had trouble with on some energy drinks is crashing.
I had shakes and fatigue from them, so I just carried a can of raisens to control that.
raisens have a ton of carbs.

So I then just watched the ingredients for the caffine content and shyed away from most grocery store junk.

some drinks are post exercise and some are pre exercise drinks.

But what I really have found is the need for sustained endurance.
We work long hours and most so called energy drinks last what a typical workout does....20 mins---LOL

I'm like a few here, I take a quality multivitamine, along with antioxidants.
and gatorade in moderate amounts.

Just check with your Dr. before hand.

--------------------------------------

Sports Drinks vs. H2O

Choose sports drinks for intense workouts, studies say

Serious athletes and amateurs alike know the importance of maintaining hydration during exercise. But you may be surprised to learn that you’re actually better off leaving the water bottle behind… and bringing along a sports drink instead.

Recent studies in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise and the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism suggest just that: Sports drinks offer the benefits of improved performance and longer-lasting hydration – and water just can’t compete.

Authors of both studies actually set out to explore potential advantages of protein-enriched sports drinks: One study involved protein and performance; the other involved protein and hydration. While the studies maintained different focuses, both found that sports drinks (protein-enriched or not) almost always outdo water.

The first study, conducted by the Exercise Metabolism Research Group at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, investigated protein’s impact on performance when added to a sports drink. Study participants either consumed a typical carbohydrate sports drink, a protein-enriched carbohydrate sports drink or a placebo (flavored water) before engaging in a time-trial cycling test – a simulated athletic competition.

It concluded that while protein may help with muscle recovery, adding the nutrient to the sports drink provided no additional performance benefit. However, participants who had consumed any sports drink at all did perform significantly better than those who were given the placebo: Nine out of 10 subjects posted faster times when they had consumed a sports drink rather than water.

The second study, conducted by the Department of Physical Education and Sport Science at Saint Cloud State University in Saint Cloud, Minn., aimed to discover whether adding protein to a carbohydrate-based sports drink would affect fluid retention. Like the first study, participants either consumed a carbohydrate sports drink, a protein-enriched carbohydrate sports drink or water.

In this case, protein added to the sports drink was found to be beneficial: Cyclists who had consumed protein-enriched sports drinks retained 15 percent more fluid than those who consumed a regular sports drink and 40 percent more fluid than those who had drank water. Notably, sports-drink consuming cyclists retained considerably more fluid than the water-drinking cyclists.

Regarding protein, many studies confirm its muscle-repairing benefits, but additional research remains to be conducted as to whether it affects performance. But when it comes to choosing a sports drink or filling up that water bottle… go with the sports drink, experts say.

meathead1134
06-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I drink a ton of gatorade in the summer, We cannot keept it stocked in my house.

FearThisDeere
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I drink about 90% water and sometimes a Gatorade. Something about gatorade doesn't work with my system. I feel like crap after I drink one, so I stick to water. I usually go through atleast eight 17 oz. bottles a day. On those last few hot days I was pushing about thirteen.

snowjeep
06-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I use propel, water made by gatorade only 20 cal. a bottle. Also if you like gatorade try poweraid it has electolites and fewer calories and sodium.

thesargent
06-30-2007, 12:44 AM
only water here, i get my minerals from food, lots of fruit and vegetabels here.

ECS
06-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Only Gatorade here, 10 qts between yesterday & today. Usually only 1 -2 a day.
Will not touch Powerade, runs right through my system as soon as I drink it.