PDA

View Full Version : Preparing yard for sod install

jaybow
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Ok guys I am going to be doing my first small sod job.
Here is my question.The guy used a sod cutter last summer to remove the grass and has since filled in with weeds.Should I use a sod cutter again?
The guy at home depot said I might want to use a rear tine rotor tiller instead.It seems to me that even using the sod cutter the weeds wouldnt hold the soil together enough to roll it up. So should I use the rear tine tiller or the sod cutter?:confused: It seems I am going to be doing alot of raking and cleaning up clumps eather way. I would really appreciate any input.

Drew Gemma
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
spray round up wait 10 days then work up soil and amend to help sod root because 95% of sod jobs suck they never root right I hate that water waster thats what they are. so soil test spray amend and till then lay sod that would be correct.

JJG84
06-27-2007, 06:23 PM
the sod cutter would work because the roots of the weeds will hold it all together (that is if the weeds are not spaced out anymore then 1 inch from eachother).

spraying roundup takes too long.

if its a small area, just rototilt it.

be sure to add 12-12-12 fertilizer in with the soil before you place sod.

also, make sure your edges are tight between the sod pieces. you dont want it to dry out.

as long as there is some soil matter with some fertilizer and some water, the sod will be grabbing in no time at all.

a great watering schedule is a must expecially at this time of the year.