PDA

View Full Version : Replacing mulch with rock

Green Acres
06-27-2007, 07:48 PM
I need to give a lady a bid on taking out the old mulch and haul it off. Then bring in the rock which is about 3" in diameter and spread it out. All of this will be by hand with wheelbarrows. I was thinking around $100.00 per ton which there will be about 10 tons. This if for labor only, I already know the price of the rock. If you have any suggestions or figures I would appreciate it. Thanks

carcrz
06-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Depends on the cost of the rock. You know how much you can put down in an hour & go from there; part of owning your own business.

LindblomRJ
06-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Thats about what I am charging for labor. That seems fair. What is the distance?

I am guessing you are charging a separate figure for the removal of the old mulch?

clcare2
06-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Have you ever spead 1's before. You are going to learn what by hand means. Almost every rock will have to placed by hand. Also, they are a real pain to load into a wheel barrow, because of the weight of the individual stones.

Normally I hate using weed barrier but you may want to lay down a layer to separate and hide the left over mulch layer. There will be alot of gaps between stones.

mverick
06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Usually I charge between $40 and $60 a ton to spread rock. Always use weed barrier on rock too...

SpartanBill
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Keep in mind how far you have to move it. Backyard up hill from the street delivery (I wouldn't cross a sidewalk with 10 ton in a truck)or front yard a few tons at a time off a truck in the driveway can make a HUGH difference.