PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades- I'm Done With Them!!

MTAYLORFFP
06-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Well I read about all the hype about these gator blades, and decided to try them myself. My mower was only 1 season old, so I decided to chunk the blade and put the gator blade on, only after searching high and low for one to fit my application.. Well after mowing several times this season with it, I'm finished!!! When trying to mulch, the grass clippings aren't nearly as mulched as they were with my regular factory blade. The gator blade is leaving the clippings approx 2 inches long, sometimes longer, like the blade is not creating enough lift. Also when bagging, with every pass of the mower, a small strip of grass clippings is left along the sides of the mower, still 2 inches in length or so... I cut today for the last time with it and I'm chunking this piece of poo in the garbage!! :hammerhead:

DOLMARatOS
06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
It also depends upon what you are using for a mower. WHat brand and mocel are you mowing with. If your mower deck isn't deep and smooth on the underside then you will not get a great mulch job.

OREGON makes a 3 N 1 gator blade also for baggin work. Higher lift blade.

TORO, Honda and Snapper have arguably the best mulch performance available in the consumer market. I have seen Gator blades on all of these mowers with great results when your height is correct and the grass doesn't contain too much moisture.

mdlwn1
06-27-2007, 09:18 PM
You are right about the lift, very little.

MTAYLORFFP
06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Im using a lawn boy insight, 21 in cut. The factory blades did a hell of a job all year last year, I just decided to try something new. As soon as this mower bites the dust, I'm buying a honda. My grass this morning contained alot of moisture, which may be the problem, but still my factory blades did a great job in wet grass.

Capemay Eagle
06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
I like em. They are working good for me. One thing I am wondering if you have enough blade tip speed.

I just received my catcher king today, I figured I would bag the lawn every third cutting, just to clean up any debris, leaves or any clipping left over. Other than that I am satisfied with the blades and just plan on mulching with the gators.

South Florida Lawns
06-28-2007, 12:04 AM
never tried them, I just use factory high lift mulch blades and low lift mulch blades depending on the time of year.

ccondie
06-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I use gator blades on my toro 36 wb and they work like a charm. infact i run them year around now. They do so much better then the factory blades. got to get a set for my toro 52ztr.

Bill S
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
We used to use the gator blades but found the same issues you speak of. Unfortunately for us, we stay on a 7 day cut schedule. For the gators to work at optimum ability you need to cut more frequently! Who has time for that?

Try the gators with twice a week cutting, I think you will like the results.

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Well I read about all the hype about these gator blades, and decided to try them myself. My mower was only 1 season old, so I decided to chunk the blade and put the gator blade on, only after searching high and low for one to fit my application.. Well after mowing several times this season with it, I'm finished!!! When trying to mulch, the grass clippings aren't nearly as mulched as they were with my regular factory blade. The gator blade is leaving the clippings approx 2 inches long, sometimes longer, like the blade is not creating enough lift. Also when bagging, with every pass of the mower, a small strip of grass clippings is left along the sides of the mower, still 2 inches in length or so... I cut today for the last time with it and I'm chunking this piece of poo in the garbage!! :hammerhead:

Mulching blades perform best when doing just that... at least for us... it doesnt sound like you have a mulch kit on your mower. Mulching blades are NOT designed to bag either... not enough lift... If you wanna mulchand bag then double blades are the way to go but i doubt your lawnboy has the ower to swing doubles... I know our 7hp snapper pro trim mower wont do it.