PDA

View Full Version : Installing Natural Stone Steps

rjohnstone
06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am installing steps at a cottage with a fairly steep incline and is mostly rock. Each run of stairs is about 8-10 feet high. We have purchased and cut natural stone in 8" height, 4' wide', approx 2' deep. I am wondering if I place the first one and then pour cement in the back, possibly with rebar drilled into the stone and then lay the next stone on the bottom rock and the cement.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Ryan

LarryF
06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am installing steps at a cottage with a fairly steep incline and is mostly rock. Each run of stairs is about 8-10 feet high. We have purchased and cut natural stone in 8" height, 4' wide', approx 2' deep. I am wondering if I place the first one and then pour cement in the back, possibly with rebar drilled into the stone and then lay the next stone on the bottom rock and the cement.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Ryan

I doubt if anyone can really advise you without seeing the site or at least pictures of it. But it sounds like the weight of each cut 8" x 4' x 2' tread will be in the vicinity of 600 or more pounds, so if each is set on a firm base, I don't think it will be moving on you. I don't know how you will move each one into position, but I presume you already have a plan for that. Drilling the treads and using rebar makes no sense to me at all. If there is solid rock at the base of the lowest tread, I'd consider using concrete to level an area upon which to place that bottom tread and then build the stairs dry but backfilling the volume in back of the previously installed tread with concrete mortar so there will be enough base support for the the next higher tread.

By the way, the fact that you made the fairly common mistake of using the word "cement" instead of "mortar" or "concrete", suggests that you may be such a novice that you haven't the foggiest notion of what you are getting into with this project. Portland cement is the stuff you buy that comes in a bag, and when it's mixed with sand, stone and water and the allowed to cure (harden) becomes concrete. But I have to admit that I admire you for wanting to attempt doing this. Sounds like fun, except for having to carry the heavy treads down or up the hill. Good luck!