PDA

View Full Version : Stone work going on........

tthomass
06-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Current job we're on. This is a townhouse back yard with 2' change in elevation from the back gate to the back door. Tomorrow is the base and flagstone patio/walkway and the plants on Friday.

Small spaces are often a lot of fun, just have to make the most of it.

tthomass
06-27-2007, 11:00 PM
At least I plan to post pics......I'm getting errors.

tthomass
06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
More natural landscaping.........

tthomass
06-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Here's some rock for ya'll.

Dirty Water
06-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Ah, that looks like way too much hand digging for me :)

I'm excited to see the finished pictures.

Tim Wright
06-28-2007, 08:16 AM
A dingo would come in handy there.

Tim

senatorcongressman
06-28-2007, 11:03 AM
You guys do nice work. Its always refreshing to see stone work on this site for a change.

Small spaces like that are fun, you can make a big impact for not a lot of money, even with a basic design. I often wonder why, especially in NVa, where a property like that can cost $500k, the owners don't take advantage of what little outside space they have.

PaperCutter
06-28-2007, 01:05 PM
You guys do nice work. Its always refreshing to see stone work on this site for a change.

Small spaces like that are fun, you can make a big impact for not a lot of money, even with a basic design. I often wonder why, especially in NVa, where a property like that can cost $500k, the owners don't take advantage of what little outside space they have.

Because we live in NoVA, we're never home to spend time outside- we're always at work to afford living here!

That's some nice looking work. I love a good townhouse design- the clients are amazed at how much can be done with so little.

Dave

neversatisfiedj
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Just do something with that awful looking sat. dish and cables !

tthomass
06-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Dish is trashed.......I'll post pics tonight........stone work is 80% done and will wrap up with phase one of planting tomorrow.

Sorry, got to run to an appointment. Its another townhouse and I'll take pics with me........SOLD.

Plant Buyer 83
06-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Looks good, im excited to see finished pics.

What kind of plants you putting in??

jluksic
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Ahhh. Northern Virigina. Bethesday, Montgomery County, Fairfax, Arlington, great place to look at but not to live. Everything is manicured within an inch, put away, planned, striped, you name it. Beneath all the beauty is marginal constructions, huge condo/HoA fees, no parking, you're a stranger in a strange land. Done with Wash DC/metro area.

tthomass
06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Here you be.

tthomass
06-28-2007, 09:04 PM
How to get rid of stone without paying........there was 1/2 a pallet of stone there last night, this was this morning.

tthomass
06-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Plants going in with phase one:

(2) Gingko
(1) Otto Luyken
(4) Nandina Domestica
(2) Boxwood 'Green Velvet'
(15) Purple coneflower
(2) Creeping Jenny
(1) Jap Maple

Few things to note:
-Flagstone 24"x24" set in diamond pattern
-Flagstone curves cut to 'flow' with the landscape
-One more slab step will be installed 1/2 way to the door to get rid of step into house

*Excavation was done with a mini excavator that is I think 28" wide and drove it right inside. Had to watch for utilities too. The power to the house is right under the base and the gas line is another good foot deep.

If 'Phase II' of the plants goes through I will be adding a ton of perennials and really make it a garden. Then have it photographed with hopes of an award.

sheshovel
06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks ok TT.

tthomass
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM
We really got screwed this week all due to the wrong machine from the rental company. All together we lost a day and have to go back in Monday to touch up. On the good side I was able to sell her on the additional plants so it won't be a lost day. As it is currently:

mrusk
06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks good. I always like to throw a paver boarder on when i do bluestone.

When i opened this thread i was hoping to see some masonry work!!! I was disappointed to see all dry lay! Were acctually doing some masonry on my big job right now. My mason died over the weekend and i could not wait to get someone else in there. So i rented a mixer and bought some trowels.
I'll have some pics of the finished product by next weekend.

tthomass
06-30-2007, 05:40 PM
He died?!?!?! Dang, that will put a damper on things.

This job was on a budget that did not allow wet lay.

Plant Buyer 83
06-30-2007, 05:46 PM
You worried at all that in 5-10 years that those Ginkgo's are going to be a problem dealing with that fence. Don't get me wrong Ginkgo's are probably my favorite tree, I love there fall color, but there a HUGE tree. You think about weeping cherries or something smaller??

tthomass
06-30-2007, 05:51 PM
They'll grow like pencils, very very columnar.

ChampionLS
07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
You forgot the Beauty Bush.....

tthomass
07-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Kolkwitzia amabalis?

tthomass
07-09-2007, 01:08 AM
after plants and bad lighting but you get the idea

AJ Lawnscapes
07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Inspirational! Thanks!

neversatisfiedj
07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice cuts Thomas

waltero
07-09-2007, 11:28 AM
The job came out great!!!

bigviclbi
07-09-2007, 08:37 PM
What did you cut the curves with? Table saw, handsaw, or grinding wheel?

phototropic1
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
For some reason I opened this post expecting pictures of marginal work at best. I must say I was completely wrong. Very impressive work with the stone! And I like the plant choices too. It definitely has its' own individual character rather than the usual cookie-cutter landscrape job. Kudos. Which columnar Gingko did you use? Nice work!

tthomass
07-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Gingko 'Princeton Century'

Thanks for the comments on the work. I learned a lot from "seeing" and hope that others can do the same from such posts. Its good to see others work to get new ideas etc. Those wanting to learn.....go to a book store, a big one. Look at the horticulture books they have and pretend you're a kid, get the one that is the easiest for you to understand.......in other words, one with a LOT of pictures. The plants will be categorized for sun, shade, wet, dry, clay, salt, fall color, spring bloom, summer bloom, bloom time, color bloom, color foliage, textures, evergreen, perennial, annual, size, height, width and a lot more. Get 2-3 of these books, look through them, add plenty of evergreens to your design and you're on your way. Slow at first, practice makes 'more' perfect. Then you'll end up with me and never be satisfied with a design because you'll want to change something.........always.

Too bad I have to wait until next year to really appreciate it. By then the perennials will have established themselves and really taken off. I added some Creeping Verbena (purple), Fescue, Mondo Grass, Spirea 'Gold Mound', Perennial Salvia, Misc. Gracillimus, Liriope, Oak Leaf Hydrangea and I'm prob still missing a few.

This is my stone manipulator for all cuts:

tthomass
07-10-2007, 11:45 PM
-Hey Walter

See the cable around the winch.......I have a real hard time keeping it wrapped tight against itself. You? Its a real PITA because when loaded it pops and kinks and just annoys the 'compost' out of me.

P.Services
07-10-2007, 11:46 PM
He died?!?!?! Dang, that will put a damper on things.

This job was on a budget that did not allow wet lay.

have to ask the dumb question what is wet lay? is that when you lay the blue stone in crete or mortar, if so how much under the stone? :confused:

tthomass
07-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Wet lay = stone set on a bed of mortar over a slab of concrete

Dry lay = stone dust

P.Services
07-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Wet lay = stone set on a bed of mortar over a slab of concrete

Dry lay = stone dust

so do i have to have the slab of crete under it or can i go compacted stone with a bed of morta and then stone. or is the slab to make it stronger

tthomass
07-11-2007, 12:52 AM
4" concrete........especially with freeze thaw that we both have

Bed of mortar is 1/2" ideally.

8 shovels masonry sand per 1/2 bag of Type I Portland.........if its really hot out do 10 shovels and it won't dry up as fast

I guess you have never done this? The patio on here is NOT set in mortar, it is all dry lay on 4" of stone dust.

P.Services
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
no i have never done it befor so this info is helping me out a ton. i guess what im trying to say is instead of 4'' crete could i just use compacted 21aa or other crusher run stone in order to keep cost down and speed things up? one more question lets say you pour the 4'' of crete how come you dont just put the stone right into that when its still wet then come back after its curred and cut the edges? would't this just skip having to mix the mortar and wait for the crete to dry and cut the cost of supplies ?

tthomass
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
On a good day with a good helper and good mason lays about 100 SF. Each stone is set in place, ONE by ONE. If you do not take your time, go slow and get each stone as perfect as possible your patio WILL look like 'compost' and WILL fall apart.

Stone is not the same, its a natural product produced by humans........there's plenty of room for mistakes and irregularities. A 24"x24" is really 23 1/2" x 23 1/2".........sometimes they're off by as much as 1/2" which can really screw you up.

NO you can not use a compacted base and set a bed on top. If you want to keep cost down do a dry lay.

I make my cuts after the mortar is dry.......next day. Its the right way to do it for the best result and you get one chance, measure 10 times, cut once.

wurkn with amish
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
looks good, but I'm wondering what your going to do w/ that down spout when it washes away your job.

tthomass
07-13-2007, 08:57 PM
If what comes off of the little roof of a little townhouse washes away the River Jack below the gutter there will be more important things to worry about :)

mrusk
07-13-2007, 09:01 PM
tthomas so when are you going to do some more wet layed work?? We did out first wet layed bluestone stoop today. Came out great. Without a doubt i am going to push wet layed work hard.

tthomass
07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm starting a patio on Tuesday or Wednesday that is wet. I'll post pictures as I go.

Its small, about 250 SF with a wall off the end and is under a deck. It will also have a brick soldier row.

I'll be there for 5 days too.......I can build bigger in the same time but as you'll learn if you haven't already, the size doesn't matter because the process is always the same and that process must be approached a certain way and takes a certain amount of time.