PDA

View Full Version : Worst Part of a Lawn Maintenance Job?

Landscape89
06-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Wanted to see who thinks what is the worst when it comes to doing a regular mowing/maintenance job.

02DURAMAX
06-28-2007, 02:03 AM
mine goes for the @$$hole customers!!

carcrz
06-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Mine also goes for the less than kind customers. I have weeded all but a few of those out this year w/ a large price increase.

BQLC
06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
pita customers but there is nothing like dog piles to make a nasty mess and the way it smells sometimes it makes you wonder what these people feed them:laugh:

topsites
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
That's it, in a nutshell, pita customers.

Between the good customers and what is left, the actual ratio never ceases to amaze me, thou amazement hardly describes the actual feeling :laugh:

I swear it's bad out there, every last call, every last one, I suppose it's at its worst during hard times...
Then one or the other (new) regular suddenly pulls a stunt that, it's like, you know, just how FAR do you want me to go pre-screening these folks?

Woody82986
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
To me... a$$hole clients create the situation that leads to you having to deal with doggy surprises.

FinerCutslawnCare
06-29-2007, 02:26 AM
I hate the customers that ALWAYS, NO MATTER WHAT, COMPLAIN! I have threatend to drop them before and since then most have calmed down!

rodfather
06-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Toys in the yard

americanlawn
06-29-2007, 06:59 PM
There's no excuse for lingering dog manure on any property. It makes me wonder how well the homeowner's pets are being taked care of. (problem customers can usually be handled in a pleasant way -- if not, we cancel them for being unreasonable). I just don't like the stench of dog sh$t that I track into my vehicle and into our office. Then there's spraying off the mower/spreader tires -- better duck or you will get sh$t all over you! Sad but true.

lawnmaniac883
06-29-2007, 09:06 PM
******* customers that cant pick up their sht and move things out of your way when they know you come every tuesday or whatnot. Also I dont understand why they lock their ******* gates.

S.A.L.
07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Customers, for sure.
They rattle my partner and ****-up the whole route.

johnnywill08
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
******* customers that cant pick up their sht and move things out of your way when they know you come every tuesday or whatnot. Also I dont understand why they lock their ******* gates.

gate locks drive me batsh!t

Midwest Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 03:42 AM
POOR LANDSCAPING:hammerhead: :dizzy: :cry:

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
07-04-2007, 12:33 PM
I hate when people across the street take their children over to look at you, "hey susie, that's a lawn mower man!", completely oblivious to the fact that they can get blinded with flying debris.

In general, anyone who just casually walks by you when you are working.

RICHIE K
07-04-2007, 04:40 PM
toys and hoses

bluerider
07-04-2007, 08:21 PM
For me it has to be tree on the lawn that have low hanging branches. Apple tree are the worst. I dont understand why people think they need to plant trees on there lawn. :confused:

POPO4995
07-04-2007, 10:18 PM
The poop pisses me off!:dizzy:

J&R Landscaping
07-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Toys, garden hoses, garden furniture, customers who have parties over the weekend and expect you to clean up the yard for free before you mow it. Dog crap also is a pain in the a$$, just like customers who dont unlock the back gate.

Pro-Scapes
07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I would take dog crap over all the other stuff. We charge for excessive trash or toys. I have a client who has 2 kids playing little leauge and there is always a ton of baseballs and whiffle balls all over the yard.

avjohnson
07-05-2007, 03:51 PM
People who look at you funny--like you are an alien life force or something...

B. L. Landscaping
07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
toys, pita customers, and most of all locked gates. I have a customer that has more money than they need and they can't buy a dang $20 gate latch so we can mow the back yard and if it is locked we leave it and they get ticked at me.

MOWALLTHETIME
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Nothing gets me going more than when I get the guys in a ryhtmn and we are smoking accounts then we get to a house and there is stuff all over the yard like hoses, garden tools, chairs, balls, and other items just strown all over the lawn and we have to stop and pick it up and move it out of the way. It takes all of the previous hardwork and time gained goes down the drain due to having to clean up some one elses mess. I also used to get upset about dog piles but I started charging a clean up fee for equipment and the piles seemed to go away for the most part.
My crew gets all riled up about gates that are narrower than 36". They get aggrivated because they know they will have to push mow and it makes a long day that much longer. Although all jobs have ups and downs I will take the lows of lawn maintaince over a desk job any day.

americanlawn
07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Also the dog chain down in the grass that you can't see -- gets wrapped around the blades. How 'bout when they turn you away cuz they're having a Friday garage sale? Or when you arrive on the property to mow - only to find out they just mowed it themselves. Or when you show up in the afternoon only to see their sprinkler system running! Or when they park their boat or R/V that blocks access to the backyard gate. My favorite complaint (but we charge extra) is the guy with a HUGE backyard, but he only has a tiny gate.........mowing 12,000 sq.ft. with a 21" push mower is down right not logical -- now that's just bad planning on the customer's part! duh! This is a GREAT post, and I'm sure we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg. Oh yes...how 'bout when you arrive with the 60" rider, and they tell you they only want walk-behinds from now on.

S man
07-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Anything can get me mad. pita customers, dog crap, toys, stuff in the grass, and LOCKED gates. The gate thing is not as bad because it rarely happens. But I have one lawn that has a dog chain plastic kind and when it's in the grass you can't see it until you run over it. A true pain to unwrap. Also, have you ever cut a lawn down here with a fema trailer on it???? There's wires everywhere and pipes and hoses. The ultimate pain.

avjohnson
07-07-2007, 12:34 AM
I hate it when I inadvertently run over kleenex and it explodes into a cloud of baby kleenexes.

S.A.L.
07-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Also, have you ever cut a lawn down here with a fema trailer on it???? There's wires everywhere and pipes and hoses. The ultimate pain.

FEMA trailers. I forgot about those lovely pieces of yard art. :clapping:

Matts lawn care
07-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Toys in the yard

Thats it for me. How do you deal with this?

lazyike
07-13-2007, 02:07 AM
Thats it for me. How do you deal with this?

I mow government sub housing, if I pick it up it goes in the trash... it usually takes a couple of weeks but by July there are no more toys in the yards....

I don't pick my kids crap up so I will not pick somebody Else's crap up.