PDA

View Full Version : It's official...I'm ******ed

wooley99
06-28-2007, 01:09 AM
The whole thing was like a train wreck and I just couldn't stop myself. I got an out of the blue (or green) call Friday for an estimate, referred by a property manager I get some business from. "How much do you charge to cut...? It's a rental, I don't have a mower, etc." I say it depends, "I'll take a look Monday and give you a quote" (Monday because I'm driving out of town when he calls).

It's a very nice sub-division, all 1/2 acre lots. His house is right between two I already cut. .5 miles apart, 5 miles from my house. The garage is full of boxes, there's little evidence of habitation in the lawn. No privacy fence. Yeah! I ASSUME he's a new renter and the yard died while it was vacant. The centipede is not competing well with the 2-3 foot tall weeds out back. Lots of evidence of why lawns need irrigation early in a drought rather than pouring on the water after the grass is dying and the weeds aren't.

Then I become an idiot. I get his voicemail and quote him my normal price for his yard, $45.

No call back, I call him again Tuesday because I'm cutting the other two lots today and he's right between them and I want this lawn. (See I'm ******ed). We talk "I'm working in your area tomorrow and can start taking care or your lawn" I already gave him a price. He's lived there since December and the lease expires in Aug. Weekly doesn't fly so I offer bi-weekly through then and he wants "A La Carte". Huh? He says "He'll call when he wants it cut". He asks how he pays and I say "well if no one is home do you have a door mat?" Nope no door mat. He'll think of something and call me back. No call back, I can see disaster all over this. I read about this same stupid thing on this site last night but I can't help it.

I drive by today after doing my lots along this street. Truck in the drive, so I ring the bell, nothing. My card is still stuck in the jam from when I did the quote on Monday. I'm almost stupid enough to mow with no dough but not quite so off I go. When I get home tonight there's a message from this dude. He couldn't remember if I was going to cut today or tomorrow.

You'd think I'd learn but I guess not. What do you think? Call him back just to continue the fun?

HOOLIE
06-28-2007, 01:45 AM
If it were a regular weekly customer that would be something I might pursue a bit, but A La Carte??? A La Carte is something you find in a cafeteria. For lawn mowing....a nuisance. He will always call you the week when you're backed up with rain and can't barely finish what you've got. So just pass on this guy.

topsites
06-28-2007, 01:59 AM
No man, I think you need to run before either that guy or the situation takes you for a ride.

See this part: I get his voicemail and quote him my normal price for his yard, $45.

That's it, you've done your job, the ball is in his court.
That's the end of it, nothing except a "YES DO it!" from here on out, and coming from him.
No call backs, no driving past, no wondering about ifs, ands, or buts...
He has to call you, he has to say it, once you leave the quote it's his turn, he has to make the next move.
If he doesn't call back it means No, sorry but any answer except "YES DO it!" means NO.

It's just as stupid, believe me.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-28-2007, 04:11 AM
I had one that agreed on weekly. Two times, first when i talked to her and second time right after my first mow of the weed field. Then she calls me after I leave the first time saying that we need to work something out, where she will just call me when she wants it mowed. I explained if that was gonna be the case I will have to charge her double if its 2 weeks and triple if its 3 weeks and so on. She says ok and guess what, I never heard back :P People don't understand that others see our trailer outside and our best advertisement is our work itself. If that lawn looks like crap for a week or 2 there gonna blame us, not moron clients.

avjohnson
06-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Yep, these kinds of accts are a PITA. They wait way too long and then call when you have no time to do it. Run!

4curbappeal
06-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Sounds like my year!!! Run- run fast and far!:weightlifter:

Focal Point Landscapes
06-29-2007, 10:15 PM
He probably won't pay you , either.

lawnkings
06-30-2007, 01:53 AM
He probably won't pay you , either.

That was my first thought, sounds like a deadbeat trying to get something for free. I refuse to do work for someone I havn't met in person. Even then that is no guarantee

Stillwater
06-30-2007, 05:14 AM
run away right now

Kumi
06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I had a very similar problem recently. If you have plenty of other customers i wouldn't worry about this one guy but if he calls you and you have space to fit his lawn into your schedule that week then go for it. It might be once a month or so but it's still $45 more than you would make that month if you didn't do his lawn.

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Ummm, no. We'd run. This person sounds like a complete flake. And why was your business card STILL in the door. Something smells fishy about the whole thing.

nobagger
06-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I would stay away! I love the fact that next year we will be able to say No! or HELL NO to bi-weekly PITA customer's.

baddarryl
07-01-2007, 10:24 AM
I would put him on a schedule. 2, 3, 4 weeks whatever, just so it is scheduled. Charge more if it is the longer of the choices and make him leave cash somewhere or forget it. Nice to have 3 properties like that if you can get them.

simonkodousek
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
I would never have a customer like this. I mean, what the hell is "a la carte" for a lawn company?! Letting the grass grow 8 ft. tall, then having your mower crap out from it? :(