PDA

View Full Version : What equipment to start with?

acer bc
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
New to the biz and intend to start as a bit of a jack of all I guess.

I have some $ to invest and was wondering what you all feel would be the best equipment to get started.

I currently have the following: Wheelbarrow and all basic hand tools(most are decent quality) 21" 6.75hp Honda powered Craftsman RWD, Stihl line-trimmer, a 4x8 trailer, 2002 f-150 crewcab and an insane willingness to plod around in the great outdoors.
I plan on having a fabricator buddy make me a more suitable larger trailer and was thinking of a larger tractor mower unit that can do more than just mow.

I'm sure you could help me with some further suggestions, so I'm all ears.

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-28-2007, 10:58 AM
As far as I am concerned you are on your way to a good start. All the necessary equipment and low to no overhead. However on this board I have found some people think you need to go 80grand into debt to get started.

BQLC
06-28-2007, 12:03 PM
I agree that you should keep your debt to a minimum. do not buy equipment for just one job you can always rent it. As far as what type of equipment to buy that will be hard pick depending on what type of properties you have. Good luck

fiveoboy01
06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Well, a walk-behind mower and a blower come to mind immediately. You'll get sick of the 21" mower and even a 36" mower will considerably shorten your time.

Also, forget the jack-of-all-trades(master of nothing) mentality. Pick a few services to offer, and concentrate on doing them well. Then later on as you grow, think about adding other related services.

LindblomRJ
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Good advise there fiveoboy