PDA

View Full Version : ideas on how to make business grow

ebomb39
06-28-2007, 02:38 PM
im just starting out and im struggling for business, i've gone up and talk to people and hit up Realtors. i do lawn maintenance and landscaping. i took a risk and start my own company. i usually charge $25 a yard. its not like im charging out the butt. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

BQLC
06-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Advertise. this subject has been covered many times do a seach and i hope that those are small yards you are doing for that price

newbomb
06-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Use the search feature on this topic. But quickly this is a good time to advertise. Mid season a lot of new guys drop out for one reason or other. If you are having a drought like here in MD you may pick up a lot of work from guys who quit. Put an ad in the local paper for a week or 2 and see.

PS Dont work cheap or you'll be out of business too. Be patient and grow your business.

bohiaa
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Man talk to everyone you see.............

think about it.... everyone has grass, if they dont then they know someone who's looking for someone....
Ash the casheer at the supermarkett, ask the guy at the gas station, walk into any business, in a few short months you will be turning down work...

echeandia
06-28-2007, 08:10 PM
You just need to keep advertising and marketing yourself. Flyers, door hangers, craigslist, and a local newspaper are probably your best bets. There is a lot of competition because it is such an easy business to get into. Additionally, you are competing with peoples desire to spend their money on other things. So you need to demonstrate that there money is best spent on you to take care of their lawn.

ebomb39
07-05-2007, 04:01 AM
thanks guys for all your help! im 17 years old, i took a risk on starting this and im very serious and plan on doing it again next year. i got started late this year which i believe was a huge factor in why i dont have very much business. i tried to find some rates of people in town and the common price was $25. these yard are fairly small and take about 40 min. for the whole deal. i've made flyers and have gone door to door. i dont know if its my age, but many people looked at me and saw was i was asking and shut their door in my face. thanks again for all your help! you guys are awesome

Bigray
07-05-2007, 08:14 AM
age may or may not have something to do with it, on mon. i was mowing one of my reg. bi-weekly's and across the street a kid appox. 14ish had a crapsman mowing this crn. lot that had not been mowed but maybe twice this year, i stopped and talked with him and he said he was chg. 40 to mow only. youth,price,limited service...

mrbobian
07-05-2007, 08:56 AM
i think age has a major factor in it. i talked to a few people that were interested in having my service but they turned me down because they said if i go off to school in three years, it is too much of a hassel for them. But on the other side, there are many older people that LOVE to have kids working for them, at least in my area.

ebomb39
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
i live i an area of mostly elderly people. i got started about a 1.5 - 2 months late. which is a huge reason as to why i dont have any business. next year i was going to start getting things ready around late feb. all winter i am going to get my name out. then late March or early April im going to out and start passing out flyers and business cards.