PDA

View Full Version : competitor requested estimate - help

americanlawn
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
What do you guys do when a competitor's employee calls in for a free lawn care estimate? Here's what happened: A man called yesterday requesting a free lawn care estimate. As I walked up to the door to hang the estimate, the next door neighbor pulled up in his own driveway -- he said "How's it going?". I said "great!". He said, "So what are you doing for Matt?". I said "He called in for a lawn estimate". Neighbors says, "He's a very nice guy, but did you know he works for T___G____?". Well, I did not leave the estimate, so soon Matt will wonder hows come we never showed. LOL Should I have left a really high bid? Or just not leave one? Or what??? What would you do??? By the way, I immediately knew it was a T___G____ lawn cuz of the yellowish-green color and the tip burn. RSCVP Thanks!

mdlwn1
06-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Knowing who it is, I wouldnt have left it either. We used to print our program and pricing in 1000 ft increments. Everyone had all the info all the time. They still fed heavy in the spring and summer. They still had crabgrass. The best thing was that they would try to beat the price, and after a while would realize they need to be 20% more to make money.

carcrz
06-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Should have left a high price.