PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Sprinkler Pressure Relief Pipe?

skytower31
06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi folks, just ran across this forum and hopefully someone can help me out. I have a 4 zone auto sprinkler system at my house. I recently replumbed one of the valves to a new line for some new landscaping. This valve was for an area we no longer have landscaping in. All the valves have 3/4" piping going in and out of them. Downstream of the valve in the new line I plumbed I used a reducing 90* elbow to go from 3/4" to 1/2". This new landscaped area already had a 1/2" line plumbed under the concrete walk, etc so I didn't want to redo everything with 3/4" pipe. When I tested the new line, water started coming from the ground around the input/output lines from the valves. After some digging I found an open ended pipe buried under the valve piping. Best I could figure is that it is a pressure relief pipe if there is too much pressure in the system. Anyone ever heard of this? The other 3 valves work fine and were all plumbed before we bought the house.

Here are my quetsions:
Is that a pressure relief pipe?
How can I reduce from 3/4" to 1/2"?
Do I have to completely re-run the line?

Thanks for any help!!!

Kiril
07-01-2007, 02:34 PM
My guess would be you cut a feed line to another part of your property, either to a remote set of values or a hose bibb.

Dirty Water
07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
There is no such thing as a pressure relief pipe.

Please dig the whole thing out good, and take a picture.

BTW, somethings are better left done by professionals.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-01-2007, 03:39 PM
i wish I could add to your post Jon but you covered everything so beautifully in three sentences.

sheshovel
07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Please re-state your problem using a less roundabout explanation. You attached a 1/2" new line to the old 3/4 from the valve to going under the walk with a reducing 90. It goes out to the un-landscaped area. Now you tested the new line and water is coming out of an unknown pipe under the valve line is this correct?

Mjtrole
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
It's possible you somehow reconnected the old line somewhere and it is simply feeding back to the valve where it used to connect.

FIMCO-MEISTER
07-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Please re-state your problem using a less roundabout explanation. You attached a 1/2" new line to the old 3/4 from the valve to going under the walk with a reducing 90. It goes out to the un-landscaped area. Now you tested the new line and water is coming out of an unknown pipe under the valve line is this correct?

How about we let him post pics. Having a confused person restate his problem doesn't seem very productive to me.:dizzy:

sheshovel
07-01-2007, 07:57 PM
Cuz he probably does not know how to post up pics, ever thought of that?

1MajorTom
07-01-2007, 08:07 PM
How about we let him post pics. Having a confused person restate his problem doesn't seem very productive to me.:dizzy:

He's never been back yet to see any of the responses. He was last here on
6-28, 5:42pm.

PurpHaze
07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
There is no such thing as a pressure relief pipe.

... except on $1500/zone systems... and I'll bet they're copper or brass. :laugh:

skytower31
07-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Haha, odd, I just got an e-mail notification of the responses right now.

After some more investigation I believe the mystery pipe is actually the feed line for the newly landscaped area. The 1/2" line I originally connected to is actually a riser for a sprinkler. So when I would pressurize the line, most of the water was coming out what is actually the pre-run feed line. :) So I think I have it all figured out. I'll do some more work on it next weekend. Thanks!

Mike Leary
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
... except on $1500/zone systems... and I'll bet they're copper or brass. :laugh:

Titanium...smart-a.s:rolleyes:

Mike Leary
07-02-2007, 11:23 AM

Titanium, smart a.s..do you think we'd stoop so low?:)