PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with this?

GravelyGuy
06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Here are some pics of an extremely steep hill. The people want me to take out and kill everything and then make some sort of no maintenance landscape.

The homeowner actually lost a toe from sliding under the mower while trying to mow this:hammerhead:

The people don't want to invest in a retaining wall or anything and naturally they want the job to be as cheap, but effective as possible. I don;t think mulch or rock would not work out here, so they just want me to use ground cover and some plantings that take up a lot of space.

Remember, I need to keep the costs down, or I just won't get this job in this neighborhood.

Here are some pictures, thanks for the help.

1200-1400 square feet here.

PerfectEarth
06-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Knock it all down, tear it out, spray it. Prep it and come back in with some euyonomous or vinca? Maybe liriope (but you gotta cut that back once a year). Or cotoneaster?? Seed it in wildflowers?? hehehe

DiyDave
06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
What is the direction of the hill? Exposure will make a big difference in what will survive here.

GravelyGuy
06-28-2007, 09:49 PM
The hill faces the East. I am going to need something that grows rapidly so that they will not have to look at the ugly dead grass since I can't mulch the hill. It needs to fill in quickly so weeds don't take over again.

Thanks...

DiyDave
06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Vinca is probably your cheapest option, or perhaps English ivy, for ground covers. Maybe some form of creeping juniper, if the budget allows, but it establishes slower.:waving: :waving:

boxsky
06-28-2007, 10:35 PM
That hill not that bad. I mow a hill that is over 1 acre and half of that sit at 25+ degree angle.

timturf
06-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Plant some fine fescue and don't mow it.......only 1lb of n /m/season

Focal Point Landscapes
06-29-2007, 12:44 AM
I like Timturf's idea - no ground cover will establish before the weeds grow in and maintenance will always be required , even after the groundcover is fully established.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Around here we would cut it as low as possible, spray it with round up, then make a huge flower bed out of it by throwing in some schrubs or flowers depending on what the customer wanted and then using pinestraw as a ground cover. I know alot of guys might not like pinestraw but at least it would hold on that steep of a slope and its cheap.

APV's Mowing
06-29-2007, 01:42 AM
i would love this type of job, go and get 4 bushes and plant 2 on each side of the fence, not too big, and then fill in the rest with w/e they said but the bushes i think would make them happy,,,...

AJ Lawnscapes
06-29-2007, 02:19 AM
I like having fun with my design program

Stone the hill, put some sort of retaining wall (railroad ties)

Couple Boxwoods, Eulalia (guess it's a grass perennial) and Japenese maples.

Just an idea. You can always be inventive.

--Abe

topsites
06-29-2007, 02:42 AM
Yeah but they're not going to want to pay 3-4,000 are they?
I don't like it, more so because of the cheapness than anything else, I'm watching a project develop right now that the homeowner refused my 2-3,000 quote many years ago... Whoever's doing it has been working on it for several weeks or better, looks to be about halfway through but why the slowness, right? Yup...

Because a fully grown Japanese maple is a few hundred IF you can find one at an outlet like Home Depot or Lowe's...
Maybe 1-200 but maybe closer to 3, not sure but it's likely in that range.
From a nursery, they run 600 - 1,000 each... Again maybe I'm wrong, but they're not cheap.

For low maintenance I DO agree with the maples but also with the pebbles, but you need to find an edgy type of stone, if you use a rounded pebble it will wash off every time it rains. If the pebble is edgy enough, it probably won't need but railroad ties for edging, more for looking complete than to hold it in, because if it suffers from run off then no border will hold it.

Unfortunately cheap stone is driveway gravel, I don't think it would look right. I'd be more inclined to use a blueish or a white stone, keep in mind this will have to be weed-treated every 2-4 weeks, but it's a lot easier than mowing. Actually, a red stone would look good, forget the name but that crap's way high ($100 / ton), I still think a Green Terrapin might do, or white, pure white, hopefully not more than $50 a ton...
The cheapest I see on my end is slate chips ($45 / ton) but that stuff is a PITA to spread, still that might be a great bet to prevent run-off.

Still looking at least at a grand either way you cut it, not even sure if that's enough, 2-3g maybe?
I can hear it already :laugh:

topsites
06-29-2007, 03:10 AM
Here's a pic of the pure white I'm thinking of, this stuff is one rough stone and it has little to no run off tendencies, the edging border here is inexpensive (not sure on the rock thou) but anyhow:

Stillwater
06-29-2007, 04:30 AM
Here are some pics of an extremely steep hill. The people want me to take out and kill everything and then make some sort of no maintenance landscape.

The homeowner actually lost a toe from sliding under the mower while trying to mow this:hammerhead:

The people don't want to invest in a retaining wall or anything and naturally they want the job to be as cheap, but effective as possible. I don;t think mulch or rock would not work out here, so they just want me to use ground cover and some plantings that take up a lot of space.

Remember, I need to keep the costs down, or I just won't get this job in this neighborhood.

Here are some pictures, thanks for the help.

1200-1400 square feet here.

Just go hear http://classygroundcovers.com/ and type in your zone and describe your conditions and the data bace will choose the best ground cover for your conditions.

AJ Lawnscapes
06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
It was a quick 10 minute rendering. If I had a better picture and wanted to spend time on it, it of course would look a heck of a lot better.

You want to give your customers a visual. If they can see your idea, they are more apt to spend the money.

==Abe