PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for some friendly advice

lawnagent
06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I do 99% mowing. But I have been asked to reccomend some plants or shrubs and put them out for a fellow I know. His plant bed in front of his house is 22' long and 2 1/2' wide. It is bordered by a gravel drive in front and a concrete block porch and foundation on the other side. This side faces southeast. On the south west side he has a spot approximatly 14" long and as wide as I need. As you can see both sides get slot of sun. I need something low maintenance, especially something that will not grow very high in the front bed. Maybe 4 feet high. Anything higher will need alot of trimming. I figure the front will ALWAYS have an excess lime issue-being surrounded by concrete block and gravel.

Thanks for any advice you all can give!:)

Focal Point Landscapes
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Youpon holly would be a good choice - hardy , low growing . Dwarf Burford holly is another hardy possibility, Of course , there are almost unlimited options on plant choice , spacing , incorporation of perennials or seasonal color .......

Venturewest
06-28-2007, 11:47 PM
The dwarf yaupons are a good choice. You could also consider Crimson Barberry, 'Gold Coast' Juniper, Goldmound Spireae, some really nice ornamental grasses, Indian Hawthorn.

I would take a photo to your local nursery and hit them up for ideas also.

lawnagent
06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

jkingrph
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it! :)

Look at some of the dwarf nandinas, such as Firepower, Gulfstream(I think)
They do not grow fast, nor too high, If in bright sun they will turn a nice red in the fall-winter. I had boxwoods and dwarf( ha) youpons and was constantly having to trim. I pulled them out about 4 years ago and went with the nandinas and have had just a little bit of pruning to maintain shape I wanted. Another couple of varieties are Harbor Dwarf and Harbor Bell, both of which have a finer more fern like foliage. The Harbor Dwarf is seedless, and the Harbor Bell has red berries in the winter.