PDA

View Full Version : Non Commercial Gear??

LawntasticLLC
06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok got a noob question here, im just gettin started in a maintainence biz and am in need of a mower, my budget is kinda slim (3.5-4.5k$ish) and I want to know what would be a good choice for a Entry level Z turn rider 48" or so , should i go with something non commercial untill I become better established.

(please excuse my noobishness lol:hammerhead: )

Focal Point Landscapes
06-29-2007, 12:14 AM
You need to shop around for the best used commercial mower that you can afford , probably a walk behind. I wouldn't buy a homeowner mower - just won't hold up. Good luck.

IA_James
06-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Buy a used walk behind (hereafter abbreviated as WB). You can pick up a nice one if you are patient and shop around for it, and if you're lucky you can get one with a nice sulky. Don't be buying a great huge Z until you've got something to use it on. My 2 cents anyway.

DuraCutter
06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Ok got a noob question here, im just gettin started in a maintainence biz and am in need of a mower, my budget is kinda slim (3.5-4.5k$ish) and I want to know what would be a good choice for a Entry level Z turn rider 48" or so , should i go with something non commercial untill I become better established.

(please excuse my noobishness lol:hammerhead: )

If you're going to mow residential, just get the cheapest Home Depot 21" mower, I got one for $279 and try to find a small John Deere tractor...let's say maybe 15 years old, that might set you back about $500. That's all you really need as mowing residential will only bring you small money. No need to spend big money to make small money. I mean think about it, $30 to spend about 1 hour with travel time to mow one property... If you buy lots, you'll wind up broke or working for a wage for like, forever till your broker than broke.... ;)

If you plan on doing condos and commercial and plan on not pricing yourself way way too low and try to maximize each and every contract you sigh with the idea of making good money, then yes spend... :)

bluflame1914
06-29-2007, 01:46 AM
depends on how many times it will be used. think of the avg. non commercial mower is made to cut a lawn once a week for say 3 yrs. that's a 156 cuts. now say you have 30 lawns you cut once a week. you have basically used up the life of the mower in less than two months.

echeandia
06-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Definitely go with a commercial mower. A 36 or 48" WB is probably your best option for versatility. I have cut 3 acre lots, very steep hills, and trees with low hanging branches with my 48" WB. These are things that cannot be done with a rider. My preference is a dual hydro and with your budget you should be able to find a good used one.

lawnpro724
06-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Don't waste your money buying a residential mower, you will regret it sooner than you might think. Depending on what size of lawns you will be mowing and whether or not there gated will determine what size mower you will need. I would go with a good WB like Toro w/48" turbo force deck and a good handheld blower like the Echo 230 and a good string trimmer. You should be able to get all of this for around $4,500 or less, shop around. If your not sure this line of work is for you then go out and buy used commercial equipment to save you some money. www.alamia.com has a great selection of commercial equipment and backed by great service.

americanlawn
06-29-2007, 08:22 PM
LawntasicLLC -- great to have you on board! Here's what I would do.... Buy a used "commercial" mower on "ebay" for sure (maybe 2 or 3 years-old). Commericial mowers last many years more & they have a better cut (plus they are better on resale). Exmark is very good, but there are others (I have a John Deere 727-A 54" rider and am totally happy). I'd rather have a five-year-old commercial mower than a "new homeowner unit". This is also a good time to pick up commercial mowers on ebay cuz they sell cheaper now compared to February. Trust me - you won't be sorry. Good luck & welcome to Lawnsite. american

kyfireman2004
07-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I have a toro 48 commercial with less than 10hrs. I paid 6600 plus tax. It can go for 5300.00. I need walk behinds 36 and 48 hydro's........let me know if you are interested.

GreenT
07-04-2007, 02:18 AM
If you are not doing 1 acre+ properties, this is all you may need

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191751

cpel2004
07-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Go commercial, if you want new buy a GreatDane best of both worlds and you dont have to walk. Or check around for a good used rider. If your doing mostly acre properties then I would get a rider.

Tom c.
07-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Do yourself a favor and get a commercial WB, you can always get a Z later. A36in WB will get you into alot of yards, keep a 21 in around for small gates. Once you get established you can get a Z later. Your accounts will dictate your equipment purchases etc. LIke yard sizes gates etc. Carry a tape measure with you all the time!!

bohiaa
07-04-2007, 12:38 PM
LOL, Now the poor guy is really confussed...........