PDA

View Full Version : We did the grunt work - now what to charge?

meets1
06-28-2007, 10:42 PM
I started with the base course, elevation and got the boys rollen. 2 people, 2 days. Versa lock block, 82 pounders laid 200 blocks for a square window well. Caps on top. We had to dig 1/2 of the area out which took the longest and the first course, from there (2nd day) it went pretty fast. Do I charge these guys our hourly rate, per sq ft of wall?? Ususally I have the block, sell the block and then lay it but this time the owners took the middle man out of the equation!

carcrz
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
hourly rate. It stinks because you lose out on the mark-up.

meets1
06-29-2007, 10:34 PM
That is what I am thinking. For me to break down all the costs of materails, our %, ect is hard. That is all in the computer on a spreadsheet and it is pretty easy for us to give a bid or price but to undo my method of madness from last summer is more challenging than billing hourly!

zedosix
06-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Figure what you would of charged had you of purchased the blocks. Subtract the cost (the owner paid) and you will have the correct #. You still need to warranty your work. Your the ones breathing that dust, and breaking your backs. Thats why I don't bother with that, I don't have the time to start explaining my price.

tthomass
06-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Did you have a contract? Sounds like you did work without discussing $ and now you can get screwed if they don't "approve" of your charge. The ball is now in their court.