PDA

View Full Version : Walker Mower Hydro Leaking Oil

mcambrose
06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
One of my hydros is leaking oil. It is the left hydro. I noticed a good bit of oil in the area around the hydro fan. I can't see a crack in the reservoir. I can only assume that it is coming out of the seal around the shaft. Can these seals be replaced? Any other likely place where it might be leaking fluid? The unit still seems to work good as long as the fluid leve is proper, so air doesn't enter.

fixer67
07-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, the control shaft seals can be replaced. It is fairly easy to do so. The only hard part is getting the control arm off the shaft. There is a key that goes on the shaft so try not to lose it when you take the control arm off. And remember to use only Mobil One 15W-50 oil in those pumps. You local Walker should have no problem getting you the control shaft seals. I will try to remember to get you a part number when I get to work.
As to other place it could be leaking, the input shaft behind the pulley could be leaking. Now those are a good deal harder to replace. I have seen a lot of people fill the overflow cups up and it would spill oil all over the place when it got hot. Just a reminder the cups are only there for heat overflow. They are meant to have only about 1/2" of oil in them. There is a line on the cups which can be hard to see.

mcambrose
07-01-2007, 11:00 PM
I will have to clean it off good to see if I can pinpoint where it is leaking. It is not an overfill because the hydro oil is getting low. I'm thinking it is behind the pulley since it gets all over that end. Thanks for the info.

fixer67
07-02-2007, 11:45 PM
If it behind the pulley you could be in for some "fun".
The Walker part number for the seal on the control shaft is 5025-3
The Walker part number for the seal on the input shaft is 5025-2
To replace the seal behind the pulley is not easy. Just getting the pulley off and be a fight. After you get the pulley off there is a big (2") snap ring holding the bearing in. You have to remove the snap ring. Now after the snap ring is removed you must pull the shaft out of the pump. There a a tool from Walker for this but you can make one from a 2 inch water pipe about 3 inches long. Place a washer over one end of the pipe. The washer needs to be a fender type with a hole from 1/4 to 3/8". That a 1/4-20 full thread bolt about 3 inches long and a 1/4" nut. Screw the bolt into the shaft where the cooling fan mounted. Holding the head of the bolt so it will not turn turn the nut down onto the washer. This will pull the bearing into the pipe and out of the pump. the seal is behind the bearing. Once you replace the seal you will be ready for the input shaft. Jack that side of the machine up so the wheel is clean of the floor. You will have to turn the wheel by hand a bit so the pump gear will move and line up with the gear on the input shaft. This all can take any where from 45 minutes to 3 or 4 hours. I have done a "few" and you will say a few bad words before you are done.

To tell the truth you may want to take this to a dealer to get done.

mcambrose
07-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks. Your instructions sound clear enough. I have a friend that his a good machinist. Maybe I can get him to help me with this.