PDA

View Full Version : Masons: How To Lay Out Conrete Block Wall?

Oasis-Outdoor
06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Any skilled masons in here?

I am trying to obtain information for a project in my yard. I want to build a wall out of concrete masonry units. I then want to put a cultured stone veneer and cap the top. A couple of questions here. How do you go about laying the wall in a nice sweeping curve ( a radius). Do you use specially shaped block, cut it or what? Secondly, at what overall height do you need reinforcement in the wall. I would appreciate any input or sources of information you masons could provide. Thanks :usflag:

ChampionLS
06-29-2007, 10:47 PM
It'll be more expensive, but if you use Retaining Wall Block, you can make curves pretty easily. Just attach your veneer stone as you would with regular concrete block. You can cap the wall and veneer when your done. Probably work out great.

tthomass
06-30-2007, 01:20 AM
How big is the wall we're talking about?

Oasis-Outdoor
07-01-2007, 12:14 AM
The wall will be about 25' long and 3' high. I have seen pictures of concrete blocks laid in a curve, I just can't figure out how to lay out the radius and get consistent mortar joints. The cost was part of the factor in using concrete masonry units as opposed to retaining wall block. The cultured stone for a veneer is more forgiving for a "novice" like me rather than real stone. The cultured stone also figures out to be significantly cheaper than real stone by the ton. The Owens Corning line of cultured stone is very attractive and has corner pieces, etc. as well as complementary shades packaged together in a product line. Check out their website, they have some cool products: www.culturedstone.com. Thanks....might have to go with the retaining wall block.

ChampionLS
07-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Use a tapered wall block so there are no mortar joints... no joints period! and just face the block with your cultured stone. Simple!

Oasis-Outdoor
07-01-2007, 10:34 AM
I will probably end up going the route of retaining wall block. We'll see how it goes. thanks you'se guys for the info.......greatly appreciated!