PDA

View Full Version : lightweight track pads

LarryF
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure if "lightweight track pads" is the correct name, but I was watching a tree guy drive a crane over a lawn to get to some trees in the back of a lot in order for the chain-saw guys to do some high-branch trimming, and his crew first laid down these panels to prevent the turf from being damaged by the wheels of the crane. It had rained the night before, so the ground was soft, but these pads did what they were supposed to. I didn't have a tape on me, but I'd estimate each was about 3' x 8' and about 3/4 inches thick. They might have been hard rubber, but they seemed light so maybe they were only plastic. Nonetheless, they appeared to be pretty tough. Can anyone identify what I saw and give me a name and perhaps a source for these.

Bigred350
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
I have seen them before. But cant remember who makes them. I do remember that they were very very exspensive. Not worth it just use them a few times. We just lay out ply wood.

LarryF
06-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I have seen them before. But cant remember who makes them. I do remember that they were very very exspensive. Not worth it just use them a few times. We just lay out ply wood.

Thanks Bigred! I guess that tells me enough. I was favorably impressed with what I saw today and thought that a few of them (about 4) would be nice to have if ever needed. But if they are pricey as you suggest, I doubt if I'll bother. I'm sure that money wasn't much of an objection for the owner of the crane I was watching today.

Henry
06-29-2007, 10:19 PM
http://www.alturnamats.com/ go for around $80 each. Worth it if you need them often.

LarryF
06-30-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.alturnamats.com/ go for around $80 each. Worth it if you need them often.

Thanks Henry. That's the item. I won't be buying any right now, but I'll certainly save the website's URL. The one's I saw looked like what is shown in this photo, but apparently they come in a variety of sizes.

Focal Point Landscapes
07-01-2007, 01:24 AM
I saw a similar product advertised in Turf magazine , but don't remember the brand name.

Bigred350
07-01-2007, 02:40 AM
Well it looks like I was wrong. I thought they were like $200 for one mat or so. My bad.