PDA

View Full Version : Starting time?

SlowMow
06-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm looking to get into the business for myself.....Is it better to wait until the begininning of the "lawn year"? Does it seem ridiculous to start at the end of June? Should I just focus on getting advertisements, contracts, equipment, bids, etc. ready for next year? Any input is appreciated.

SlowMow
06-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Also I was curious if anybody knew if lawn equipment dealers offer great deals on stuff in the middle of winter?

BLKSS
06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
i would pass some flyers out just to get your name out there, and maybe get an account or two so youll have your foot in the door for next year

bluflame1914
06-29-2007, 04:34 PM
offseason is the best time to get stuff since business is slow and also they are trying to make room for newer equipment.

americanlawn
06-29-2007, 06:09 PM
SlowMow -- get in the yellow pages (it's our best source for leads). We renew our ad in late spring, but you might still have time to get your ad in for the next issue. It does not need to be a big one. Just be in there, cuz it lends credibility.

HOOLIE
06-29-2007, 06:28 PM
i would pass some flyers out just to get your name out there, and maybe get an account or two so youll have your foot in the door for next year

That's what I would do...get your feet wet a little bit this summer bidding jobs and be prepared to go full force at it next spring.

kevinlane
06-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm looking to get into the business for myself.....Is it better to wait until the begininning of the "lawn year"? Does it seem ridiculous to start at the end of June? Should I just focus on getting advertisements, contracts, equipment, bids, etc. ready for next year? Any input is appreciated.

I practically just started. I threw some flyers and put on ad on craig's list and I already have like 10 accounts, plus I've done 5 or 6 cleanouts. Starting out is a challenge, but if grass is growing, there will be business. Just jump in, the water's still warm brutha.
:gunsfirin