PDA

View Full Version : John Deere backfire when blades engaged

gqwill69
06-29-2007, 05:01 PM
John Deere riding mower, sputtering and backfiring only when mowing?

Recently I noticed that when I mow in 2nd gear the mower would run rough and eventually backfire and repeat. When I shifted to 1st and mowed that way it seemed to fix it, then I noticed it began doing that same rough engine and eventual backfire while mowing in 1st gear. Now, when I am mowing in 1st gear and engage the clutch and shift to 2nd, as soon as I release the clutch the mower will die. Any of the issues are only happening when the blades are running, if the blades are not running all gears work and it runs great.

I have replaced fuel filter, spark plug, and cleaned air filter without any affects.

Any ideas before I have to take it to a repair shop?

Thanks

khouse
06-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Tear the carb apart and blow it out with compressed air. Clean fuel tank and lines. Replace filter again.

gqwill69
06-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I will give that a try this weekend, thanks!

Restrorob
06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Letting out on the clutch while the PTO is on and the engine shutting off along with the back firing sounds like a safety switch making a bad contact intermittently killing the ignition spark since it runs fine with the PTO off.

Oh, You didn't post any unit or engine model numbers to give us a idea what you have.