PDA

View Full Version : Mowing through Winter

John_99_2007
06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
For any guys around Houston or similar climates-

Can you give me an idea of how your mowing slows down in the winter (for example March-Oct, weekly..... Nov-Feb, twice a month)

Also do some customers try to change this schedule or do they trust your advice about this.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Southern grasses go dormant during the winter - unless someone overseeds with ryegrass , there is no mowing after first frost. Most people do fall cleanups then wait for spring.

John_99_2007
06-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Understand-

Can anyone closer to Houston give me more specific dates?

ed2hess
06-29-2007, 11:38 PM
We normally do a couple mows in Nov, one in Dec, one in Jan, then Feb is 2 and from there on you dependent on weather but usually it picks up in March to full mow.WE have all customers on contract so it is up to them to decide how many mows in winter months, but usually they want things nice for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years so there is three mowing. When you plant rye you can get up to 43 mows a year on property....most of our commericial properties opt for rye.

John_99_2007
06-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Thanks Ed-

I assume Houston would be real close to that, if not a little more growth.

On those mows for Christmas/New Year's are you really cutting much grass, or is most of the benefit in cleaning up the edges, blowing, ect.?

Thank again for the specific answer.

ed2hess
06-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Thanks Ed-

I assume Houston would be real close to that, if not a little more growth.

On those mows for Christmas/New Year's are you really cutting much grass, or is most of the benefit in cleaning up the edges, blowing, ect.?

Thank again for the specific answer.

Most yards will have some leaves and stuff so we actually mow the entire yard on all the visits.....we mulch year round so it doesn't take long ...we obviously edge everything and knock down any weeds in beds.

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm in SC, but my Ggrandparents are in Houston. Far as I can tell, the weather's the same: hot as hell in the summer, and cold and crappy in the winter. Most of our clients actually REQUESTED that we go to biweekly, or to keep an eye on it for them and mow when it needed it. Don't forget about all those damn leaves, either! We just mow over them to mulch them up and keep the lawns looking nice.

tomgolfs44
07-01-2007, 12:05 PM
John,
We mow weekly Mar-Nov, then go to bi-weekly Nov-Feb for most. About 15% of our clients opt for no service Nov-Feb, but usually call once a month for service because of leaves/holiday etc. I have a lot of estate homes in a nice suburb of Houston that still want weekly service throughout the winter...no matter what- just find something to do. So basically I have all the work I want during the winter.