PDA

View Full Version : help me out with some plantings

barcode148
06-30-2007, 12:10 AM
im doing a job for a fairly new customer and he has two mailbox wingwalls at the end of his driveway but because of the space problem im at a loss of what to plant. attached are the front and back of the wingwalls. please any opinions. thanks

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey it looks like the only problem you have is the front of the wall. Why not cut out a small loop on the end and bed behind wall. This would be facing the
house I would use a deco gravel in the front of wall and what ever plants you want to put in the back. My two cents.

AGLA
06-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Do you have a shot of the walls from the street so that we can see the "big picture"? You should be thinking about what the planting does beyond decorating the wall.

Anything that goes in front of that wall can not be something that piled up snow or a snow plow is going to break. It needs to be narrow enough to keep the mail man from going postal because he has to lean out of the jeep. On the other hand, height on those walls would go a long way in making it look better. Tall daylilies with some lower annuals might be a good treatment for the front.

Plant Buyer 83
06-30-2007, 09:58 AM
AGLA is right, snow will be a big problem for shrubs, I would suggest grasses such as Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' - Purple Fountain Grass. Also maybe the clients favorite type of perennial. They both don't need much room and the snow from the plows won't destroy them either. Whatever you decided to plant make sure you dig all the base and gravel that is probably there from the road and put in some nice soil.

Let us know what you decide and post some final pics.

barcode148
06-30-2007, 11:17 AM
thanks alot guys. i have one question though. i am 17 and not quite "literate" lol with names of plants but my father and i were thinking of drawf ornamental grasses. is that what you mean?

TheKingNJ
06-30-2007, 05:35 PM
thanks alot guys. i have one question though. i am 17 and not quite "literate" lol with names of plants but my father and i were thinking of drawf ornamental grasses. is that what you mean?

yeah the dwarf grasses would be ok, but I do like the idea of day lillys in the front. If it were my job i'd run a hedge of maybe 5 or 7 box woods on each side lineing the first 10 feet of driveway.

barcode148
06-30-2007, 06:13 PM
box woods are out of the question along the driveway for two reasons:

1: i dont like them because i hate trimming shrubs

2: the driveway is not long enough. thus leaving literally no room to enter into the grass if boxwoods were planted

i appreciate the opinions. but what about something on standard for behind the wingwalls?

gratis landscape
07-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Whatever goes in front of the wall should be drought/heat tolerant. The asphalt and brick combination with any sort of west/south exposure could add up to a significant amount of heat. I agree with AGLA in that height is going to be the key. Miscanthus Sinensis 'Gracillimus' (Maidengrass) ould "soften" the brick edges.

Venturewest
07-01-2007, 04:04 PM
They paid me 40 bucks and I finished up this morning.:laugh:

Just messing around.

Turf Professionals Inc.
07-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Looks fantastic!!! Could not have done better myself (and trust me, I would have tried) :-D

Lawnworks
07-01-2007, 06:08 PM
I think some fig ivey would look good crawling up the brick... possibly some type of large hollies(foster, savannah, nelly r stevens) or crape myrtles behind the entrance.