PDA

View Full Version : What size trailer do I need?

green-pa
06-30-2007, 12:15 AM
What size trailer would fit 2-36 wb's and 2-21's? A 5x8 wouldn't hold all that would it? I'm thinking at least 5x10 or 6x10 for this am I right? I'm planning on next year and trying to stay away from something I may need to sell right away.

THEGOLDPRO
06-30-2007, 12:19 AM
well if you decide to upgrade your equipment, then you mine as well get a bigger trailer then you need. maybe a 14 footer.

green-pa
06-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Well right now I only have the 21inch but plan on getting a 36wb in the next week or two, that will be it for this season I expect. Which I 5x8 would work for that. But next year I plan on having like either 2-36wb's and 2-21's or a 36 and 48wb and 2-21's. 14 ft would be a bit much just to finish out my first year and start me on my 2nd wouldn't it? I'm looking for something around $500 anyway so I'm sure I couldn't find a 14ft at that range.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-30-2007, 12:29 AM
If I were you and it is in budget I would go with a 6X12. Easy to sell If and again I say if it dont work out for you.

green-pa
06-30-2007, 12:42 AM
What if I did just get a 5x8, that would hold 2-36wb's right? But would it be much trouble to get the 21 in out of the truck bed? How long would it take and would I have to disconnect the trailer to access a small mower from the truck? Or would that take several minutes and not be worth it? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject cause I've never owned a trailer. It seems that 6x12's are twice the price of 5x8's!

Vikings
06-30-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure about the length, if a 10 foot trailer would hold two 36"s, one behind the other. If you have ramp gates they might not go up.. but anyway I can add this.

I have a 5x10 trailer (my first trailer) and I also have a 36" toro and a couple 21 mowers. It's an awkward size. The trailer should be 6 ft wide then I could slide the 21" mowers up along side the 36.

If it was 6 ft wide you could put two 36's one behind the other and two 21's along side, one behind the other.. I'm just not sure about the length I'm almost sure that it's too short though, for two 36's. IF YOU HAVE RAMP GATES.

I would say if you want two 36's and two 21's get a 6x12 trailer.

Vikings
06-30-2007, 01:07 AM
What if I did just get a 5x8, that would hold 2-36wb's right?
No not Toro's anyway unless you were turning them sideways and I don't think you will want to do that.

Maybe two quick 36's would fit.

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject cause I've never owned a trailer.
You're smart. If I had the forethought to ask questions, I would probably have been steered to buy a trailer that is 6 ft wide. On my 5 foot trailer I can't fit a 36 and 21 side by side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0171.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0173.jpg

rubiconlawn
06-30-2007, 02:25 AM
Hey Green Pa,

Good luck buddy, as sincere as you are I bet every yard you leave is just about perfect! Your customers are lucky to have you.

I recently started out and got a 6 x 12, it would easily hold 2-36's & 2-21's.

Spend just a little more, get a WHOLE LOT MORE! Room for a trash can, gas cans, racks for trimmers/edger on one side, rake/shovel/broom/blower on the other without running the whole length of the trailer (you can get in and out over the side), room to move around all that stuff...

What if in the future you want to run a 48"z, 36"wb, 21"wb and various misc equip? I'll be able to, will you with a 4 x 8 or 5 x 10?

Got mine brand new $995, square tube railing and split ramp (new tires also). I realize thats more than what you are budgeting but maybe this will open your thoughts to a different set of possibilities.

Plus, when you pull up to an account, I think prospective clients notice small things, no sleeveless t-shirts, clean equipment, no rinky-dink equipment. This isn't a slam on anyone, so peace*trucewhiteflag* , this is just my opinion, I'm just trying to help Green Pa best I can.

best wishes
Rubiconlawn

green-pa
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
No not Toro's anyway unless you were turning them sideways and I don't think you will want to do that.

You're smart. If I had the forethought to ask questions, I would probably have been steered to buy a trailer that is 6 ft wide. On my 5 foot trailer I can't fit a 36 and 21 side by side.

That's a nice one u got there! Unigue color too!

green-pa
06-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey Green Pa,

Good luck buddy, as sincere as you are I bet every yard you leave is just about perfect! Your customers are lucky to have you.

I recently started out and got a 6 x 12, it would easily hold 2-36's & 2-21's.

Spend just a little more, get a WHOLE LOT MORE! Room for a trash can, gas cans, racks for trimmers/edger on one side, rake/shovel/broom/blower on the other without running the whole length of the trailer (you can get in and out over the side), room to move around all that stuff...

What if in the future you want to run a 48"z, 36"wb, 21"wb and various misc equip? I'll be able to, will you with a 4 x 8 or 5 x 10?

Got mine brand new $995, square tube railing and split ramp (new tires also). I realize thats more than what you are budgeting but maybe this will open your thoughts to a different set of possibilities.

Plus, when you pull up to an account, I think prospective clients notice small things, no sleeveless t-shirts, clean equipment, no rinky-dink equipment. This isn't a slam on anyone, so peace*trucewhiteflag* , this is just my opinion, I'm just trying to help Green Pa best I can.

best wishes
Rubiconlawn

Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a 6x12 but I may just have to settle for less. It sounds like that would be the best though or at least 6x10.
I actually use sleevless ( or muscle shirts) and have gotten compliments on them. THis heat is too much to be wearing T's in and then having em with big ol sweat stains under the arms-yuck. I've had a few customers tell me it would be ok if I take my shirt off, but then maybe that's cause I'm a practicing fitness trainer also...lol

bohiaa
07-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Size doesn't matter as much as Weight. load 2 36" WB on a single axle 5 X 10
a 21" or two, some bags of grass, this, that and the other, and it = Trouble.

Of corse you said you didn't need it for this season, you have an entire year to look

Grits
07-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I would like to get a 6x12 but I may just have to settle for less. It sounds like that would be the best though or at least 6x10.
I actually use sleevless ( or muscle shirts) and have gotten compliments on them. THis heat is too much to be wearing T's in and then having em with big ol sweat stains under the arms-yuck. I've had a few customers tell me it would be ok if I take my shirt off, but then maybe that's cause I'm a practicing fitness trainer also...lol

:weightlifter:
Yeah, well, my customers ask me,"Do you plan on taking your shirt off ?"
But I'm fairly sure they are asking so they can be sure and NOT be home!
J/K:laugh: (not really:( )

Grits
07-01-2007, 05:34 PM

That's a good looking little trailer. I like the solid sides, and it looks well built. Is it completely galvanized?

cpel2004
07-01-2007, 06:27 PM
It depends on your budget and your long terms goals. I think buying a trailer is like buying a shoe for a child, Get something that you can grow into

Vikings
07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
That's a good looking little trailer. I like the solid sides, and it looks well built. Is it completely galvanized?

Yeah, all galvanized. I wasn't intending to buy a trailer but when I bought my 36 toro it was way too scary trying to go up and down a ramp into the back of my trucks. Plus I had no extra space.

I started with a home depot trailer, because it was cheap but 5 minutes after I left the store, bolts started falling off it and one of the hinges for the back gate fell completely off. That piece weighs about 2 lbs, of steel. Could have killed someone. A reflector also fell off.

So I ended up buying a much more expensive one from a place called Saturn industries. I feel much safer with my mower and for the sake of the public pulling this one around. I love my trailer now.

Grits
07-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, all galvanized. I wasn't intending to buy a trailer but when I bought my 36 toro it was way too scary trying to go up and down a ramp into the back of my trucks. Plus I had no extra space.

I started with a home depot trailer, because it was cheap but 5 minutes after I left the store, bolts started falling off it and one of the hinges for the back gate fell completely off. That piece weighs about 2 lbs, of steel. Could have killed someone. A reflector also fell off.

So I ended up buying a much more expensive one from a place called Saturn industries. I feel much safer with my mower and for the sake of the public pulling this one around. I love my trailer now.

It should last you a good while then! It looks to be a perfect size for a smallish mow set-up. I really like it.

Grits
07-01-2007, 11:49 PM
I went to Saturn Industries website. Says they are in Manitoba. Is this by you? Were you able to go their actual shop? Did you spec out the trailer and then they built it? They don't list prices on their site,, can you give me a ballpark figure? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of curious about them now.

Vikings
07-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I went to Saturn Industries website. Says they are in Manitoba. Is this by you? Were you able to go their actual shop? Did you spec out the trailer and then they built it? They don't list prices on their site,, can you give me a ballpark figure? Sorry for all the questions, just kind of curious about them now.
I picked it up at their factory, they make trailers of all sizes, huge trailers.

I ordered over the phone and got them to rush it so I could pick it up the next day, yeah I live there. They were still working on it when I got there, they looked at my hitch and got the right match and then they adjusted the thing so it would grab.

I paid $2380 plus taxes. I was told they actually went up to $2500. I tried to get away with this home depot trailer for $788 but it fell apart and in retrospect I'm glad I was forced to buy a more expensive one.

I went from this (which lasted only 5 minutes of vibrating and fell apart)
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/1b6888fc-255d-4aed-b370-4074e4108e70_4.jpg

To this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0172.jpg

also, I thought they would paint it or me but I guess they didn't have the time. Then again someone in the trailer section here said that paint doesn't stick to well to galvanized steel.http://www.saturnind.com/media/images/tutility.jpg

Here's a picture of their factory (family owned) with a dump trailer.. I'm always amazed at how Americans get things so cheap and we pay through the nose. I had to pay $3800 for a Toro 36 gear:(

http://www.saturnind.com/media/images/4med.jpg

Grits
07-02-2007, 02:36 AM
I picked it up at their factory, they make trailers of all sizes, huge trailers.

I ordered over the phone and got them to rush it so I could pick it up the next day, yeah I live there. They were still working on it when I got there, they looked at my hitch and got the right match and then they adjusted the thing so it would grab.

I paid $2380 plus taxes. I was told they actually went up to $2500. I tried to get away with this home depot trailer for $788 but it fell apart and in retrospect I'm glad I was forced to buy a more expensive one.

I went from this (which lasted only 5 minutes of vibrating and fell apart)
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/1b6888fc-255d-4aed-b370-4074e4108e70_4.jpg

To this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0172.jpg

also, I thought they would paint it or me but I guess they didn't have the time. Then again someone in the trailer section here said that paint doesn't stick to well to galvanized steel.http://www.saturnind.com/media/images/tutility.jpg

Here's a picture of their factory (family owned) with a dump trailer.. I'm always amazed at how Americans get things so cheap and we pay through the nose. I had to pay $3800 for a Toro 36 gear:(

http://www.saturnind.com/media/images/4med.jpg

Dang! That's pricey. But it is a quality trailer that will last for a very long time. I like it without the paint. Those Lowes and Home Depot trailers are overpriced crap. A friend of mine bought one from Lowes. He can barely fit his riding mower on it and he paid what I paid for my 6x12. Thanks for the info.

Bill S
07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Save your money until you are ready to buy the proper equipment for the job. When you are ready to add more mowers know that you will also be buying a trailer with it. Don't buy the equipment until the work will pay for it.

americanlawn
07-02-2007, 07:23 PM
6x12 foot trailers are the most popular according to the two trailer companies that we deal with here. (rear folding gate/bulldog hitch) Both guys say they can't keep enough of them in stock. All other sizes = they sit around for awhile on their lots. 6x12's have the highest resale too. Hope this helps.

green-pa
07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Ok, I just got my first trailer. IT's a 5x8 for $525. It seems pretty descent. I have a few q's about it though which I'll post seperately.