PDA

View Full Version : how Dumb can ya be ?

bohiaa
06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Ok Guys, as you know it's been raining here in TEXAS for a week. were all swamped. it finley quit.

so running around CrAzY, this lady calls me. and says, when can you cut my grass... I say. um uh, um what is your name... Bla bla. I say well your not one of my customers. she says. No I was wanting to know how much you would charge. so I go through all my stuff, and come to find out. Her lawn service cant get to her for another week. because there behind because of all the rain, " DUH- LIKE I'M NOT " so she wants me to come cut untill they can catch up............:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kumi
06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
If you can do it,then go for it. Who knows,maybe she'll end up liking your work better and hire you.

ed2hess
06-30-2007, 06:13 PM
If you can do it,then go for it. Who knows,maybe she'll end up liking your work better and hire you.
That will get you a lot of lawn company friends:hammerhead:

Woody82986
06-30-2007, 06:44 PM

That's exactly what i was thinking...

Tom c.
06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Probably someone elses PITA. They all think as soon as it stops raining we're gonna pop up instantly on their lawns.Some times they make U Krazy:dizzy:

nobagger
06-30-2007, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they would appreciate that! Its much better to make friends than enemies in this industry. People like that just plain SUCK! And if one of my customers called another service because we were in a situation like that I'd say screw you keep 'em!:angry:

Kumi
06-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Wow...didn't expect to see the lecture coming. I skimmed the topic quickly and responded before i had put a lot of thought into it. It would be better to just tell her no. :dizzy:

Stillwater
06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Wow...didn't expect to see the lecture coming. I skimmed the topic quickly and responded before i had put a lot of thought into it. It would be better to just tell her no. :dizzy:

agreed.............

bohiaa
06-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Nope, I didn't tell her NO...

I told her were swamped. and it would be a week before I could get to it...

DuraCutter
06-30-2007, 11:49 PM

Really? Most residential don't "like". They look at the price... That's a what they really like...$$$$$$$ Don't matter if you can walk on water and preach to the blades of grass... $$$$ how much are you... :) :) :)

topsites
07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I don't recommend customers ask me to play dirty, no matter how it is phrased, a customer willing to play off two businesses against each other means bad news to me. I'll do it today but it ain't gonna be cheap, matter of fact it's going to cost enough to make most anyone think at least twice, that's half the goal, the other half is cutting in front of my regulars don't come cheap either.

It's not something I like to do, I do use prices as a way to control the bs, maybe I shouldn't, but it works.

Really? Most residential don't "like". They look at the price... That's a what they really like...$$$$$$$ Don't matter if you can walk on water and preach to the blades of grass... $$$$ how much are you... :) :) :)

Yeah but most folks would benefit from the long-haul mentality instead of per cut, thinking down the road instead of this one all-important price. These folks hire the cheapest guy, their lawn gets cut too often or too low and is ruined and yet they fail to see how this isn't cheaper than a higher priced but experienced service.

The cheap service cuts weekly year-round or something like that, they get every last cut in they can, 20-25 cuts/ season BUT it's only $29.79 a cut! If that's not the problem then it's dull blades, or any number of other things, you just never know what's coming to town on your lawn this way.
The long hauler has the finances and doesn't need it, he cuts it when he thinks it needs cutting, 16-20 cuts/ season, $35 a pop.
16 x 35 = $560
20 x 30 = $600 ...
That's not taking into account the ruined lawn, then again some folks want the Lco to burn it to a crisp or at the very least they don't appear to care, but that is because once it is burnt they tell the Lco that right now it doesn't need it... Still, it got cut more often than it should've already...

Those who do figure it out this far still seem to fail to comprehend that you pay one way or the other.
90% of businesses don't last 5-8 years, hire anybody and every 1-2 years you have to find another, guaranteed, you might get lucky and find one who lasts, you might get unlucky and find one who takes you for a ride.
So, the $5 per cut saved only pays for the time invested every year or two in having to go through the entire Lco-shopping rigmarole again. I suppose it still boils down to luck, but one would think word of mouth has its way?
Or does it?

Regardless, no matter how you cut it, either way you pay.
It's all the same in the end.

Thou I do agree, most never see that.

Garden Thyme
07-01-2007, 07:29 AM
At least you are still ok. Will be able to catch up with your're workload. What about these poor landscapers living in South Yorkshire, England.

Follow the link, I think there are 51 pics.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery/picture_gallery/0,,70141-1272704-1,00.html

bohiaa
07-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I don't recommend customers ask me to play dirty, no matter how it is phrased, a customer willing to play off two businesses against each other means bad news to me. I'll do it today but it ain't gonna be cheap, matter of fact it's going to cost enough to make most anyone think at least twice, that's half the goal, the other half is cutting in front of my regulars don't come cheap either.

It's not something I like to do, I do use prices as a way to control the bs, maybe I shouldn't, but it works.

Yeah but most folks would benefit from the long-haul mentality instead of per cut, thinking down the road instead of this one all-important price. These folks hire the cheapest guy, their lawn gets cut too often or too low and is ruined and yet they fail to see how this isn't cheaper than a higher priced but experienced service.

The cheap service cuts weekly year-round or something like that, they get every last cut in they can, 20-25 cuts/ season BUT it's only $29.79 a cut! If that's not the problem then it's dull blades, or any number of other things, you just never know what's coming to town on your lawn this way.
The long hauler has the finances and doesn't need it, he cuts it when he thinks it needs cutting, 16-20 cuts/ season, $35 a pop.
16 x 35 = $560
20 x 30 = $600 ...
That's not taking into account the ruined lawn, then again some folks want the Lco to burn it to a crisp or at the very least they don't appear to care, but that is because once it is burnt they tell the Lco that right now it doesn't need it... Still, it got cut more often than it should've already...

Those who do figure it out this far still seem to fail to comprehend that you pay one way or the other.
90% of businesses don't last 5-8 years, hire anybody and every 1-2 years you have to find another, guaranteed, you might get lucky and find one who lasts, you might get unlucky and find one who takes you for a ride.
So, the $5 per cut saved only pays for the time invested every year or two in having to go through the entire Lco-shopping rigmarole again. I suppose it still boils down to luck, but one would think word of mouth has its way?
Or does it?

Regardless, no matter how you cut it, either way you pay.
It's all the same in the end.

Thou I do agree, most never see that.

I dont agree with the part about the cheapest price,,, I'm very expensive,

CUstomers are expecting perfect work and that 's waht I give them, I have dropped customers because they wanted the edging done biweekly and not every visit,

every job I do is a direct reflection on me..

Kumi
07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
True but not always.

Babbages01
07-03-2007, 03:16 AM
It's nice to have rain for once but a little bit of a break would be nice. I've got customers calling and asking me when I'll be there. Most are pretty wise to the fact that I don't want to mow in the rain or right after a big rain but some tell me to just cut it eventhough it won't look as good.

I don't like leaving a yard in anything other than perfect shape, but they understand.

Not to mention my schedule is screwed up.

Allens LawnCare
07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Sounds like an extra charge to me....

DuraCutter
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
True but not always.

You're right, there is the exception to the rule. I'd hazard a guess of about 10to 15% of residential are really good folk who'll pay for good work.

It's getting through to that small percentage that proves to be the hardest about residential.

:)

Mr Priceless
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
connections are more valuable than one-time services/lousy customers.

ppfield
07-06-2007, 06:27 PM

I agree...

Nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity.
H. Jackson Brown Jr.

rudeboy
07-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Nope, I didn't tell her NO...

I told her were swamped. and it would be a week before I could get to it...

yeah thats what i would of have said

yeah its been raing all the time her in texas it sucks

agr682
07-08-2007, 09:52 AM

I disagree, I am generally $10-15 dollars higher than my competitors on smaller yards, But i take time to devleop the relationship with the customers and they don't miond paying extra!