PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for this bed? Planted something questionable.

johnny5
06-30-2007, 01:56 AM
This is the first that I designed, built, and planted. I really enjoy how it turned out except I do not like the weeping cherry on the right side. It seems to big and not proportional and it is in a elevated showcase position. My original idea was to put a Jap Maple, but the house faces south. It is located in Buffalo NY. Here are pics:

Any ideas what to replace with:

SDNCLAWNCARE
06-30-2007, 03:09 AM
I like everything but the tree on the corner. Anything that blocks the front windows on a house is bad news in my opinion. Curb appeal is key, but you are blocking veiws of the house. Plus it makes it look uneven. I would have used a pampas grass with some color. Keep up the good work my friend.

mdlwn1
06-30-2007, 08:39 AM
The gold threads will get huge. They never look good trimmed. Consider using them in a mass far away from the house.

mkroher
06-30-2007, 08:40 AM
That tree is way too close to the house. It should be at least an 8 ft radius from any structures. It's a stick now and looks cute. It'll be a problem in 5 years.

johnny5
06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I know the tree is too big and I am looking to replace it with something else. Just not sure what. ANy ideas, or suggestions?

mkroher
06-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Are those blue star junipers around the cherry? Or are they wormwood. I can't tell in the picture.

Remove some of the shrubs, replace with tasteful perrenials.

mdlwn1
06-30-2007, 09:53 AM
For that location...how about a shrub instead of a tree?

AGLA
06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure what the issue is with not using a Japanese Maple. Is it that they can't take the cold or they get sun scald in the spring when they face south in your area? We use them fully exposed all the time with no issues. The composition lends itself very well for a low wide plant of interest like a cutleaf weeping variety of JM.

I know you want a showcase type plant for that spot, but a low wide broadleaf like a rhododendron would work very well. The only thing that is weak from an aesthetic point of view in your composition is the spiral on the chimney. That area is screaming for something heavier looking in my opinion.

I would not be afraid of maintaining that, but I would not be taking shears to the goldthread. Careful and time consuming hand pruning works great.

johnny5
06-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the response.
With the japanese maple, it is a matter of the southwest wind coming into it, and the area does have full sun. From what I gathered it is not a good combination and have read that it will die. If I could have I would love to place one there.

TheKingNJ
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
is that wheaping cherry a snow fountian?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Take it out and just add another boxwood there. Simple and it won't block the window.

johnny5
06-30-2007, 06:40 PM
It is a weeping cherry and those are blue stars surrounding the perimeter. I was thinking more of a smaller tree or a shrub. I am just not as verse and familiar with what would look good and what is available.

Here is a more clear picture:

Plant Buyer 83
06-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Are the shrubs in the back Globe Blue Spruce - Picea pungens 'Globosa' ?? What are the two shrubs in front of the spiral, barberry perhaps?? I would put in a flowering shrub seems like a lot of year round color but no flowering shrubs and with the cherry gone your left with nothing.

GroundsGuy
07-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Okay, you've got some good ideas here, just not used to their best advantage.

First, continue using the stone forming the planter around the cherry tree to enclose the planter from the patio to the corner of the house. It looks unfinished now.

Second, move the existing circular portion of the planter to the left, to be centered between the windows.

Third, pull the new circular portion of the planter out into the yard another seven feet.

Fourth, replant cherry tree in new circular planter location. It will look great there, and fill the space beautifully.

Fifth, thin out your plant palate. Get rid of the twisted (cypress?). It's distracting.

Sixth, install a short walkway (Same material as planter wall) from patio to gas meter. The gas guy has got to have access.

Seventh, plant five or seven boxwoods along back of planter, spaced so that at mature size, they almost touch.

Eighth, plant three or five of those golden-thingys (we don't have them in Southern Cal.) on triangle spacing in front of the boxwoods.

Ninth, fill in front of the planter with those little grey/green thingys (in S. Cal. I'd use different forms of variegated liriope).

Tenth, anchor the sides of the planter with the barberry. Throw in here and there a few rocks - with the same colors of the barberry.

Eleventh, add a light colored annual as a front edging of the planter. I'd use alysum or lambs ears. It will tie into the white trim of the windows, and make the planter look really sharp.

You now have a complete and well balanced planter, complimenting the architecture of the house, using much of your existing plant material, with good color and texture mixes, drawing your view up through the planter, and providing a nice focal point with the cherry tree.

Harley-D
07-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Johnny,
Doesn't look too bad. For future reference, always know how big things will get and how much maintenance is involved. These are key.

Also, evergreens are your foundation and perennials are your flash.
To save you time and work- move the tree farther out in the bed away from the house. I'ld use the spruce in a semi-quarter circle around the spiral juniper and move the barberry to form a hedge along the house-add another three barberry of the same size and plant 3-4' on center in a line. This will form a back drop along the house behind the cherry.

I would consider using the gold mops and the (jap holly?)boxwood?-two green shurbs- somewhere else. Instead, trying adding some seasonal color with perennials. Stay away from shade stuff, looks like afternoon sun. Daylilly, blackeye susan, daisy, dianthus, coryopsis,-spring/summer. Sedum, anemone, asters,-late summer/fall.
Plant in groups of threes or fives-staggered.
My two cents. Looks good though.

johnny5
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
thanks for all the help. I switched a couple things around to try to see space things a little more evenly. I moved the weeping cherry where the spiral is and moved the spiral on the right side toward the back, and put a small maple in place of the existing cherry. I think it looks good, we will see.