PDA

View Full Version : Grass heights???

stevenf
06-30-2007, 01:01 AM
The two particular yards that I do are fairly picky with there lawn. They are related to each other. One guy watches me from start to finish and the other just looks around and ask questions because he isnt satisfied.
The only thing that they arent satisfied with is the height of there grass.
When I cut the first houses lawn, I cut it on 2.5 setting. She then ask if i can cut it shorter next time and I said yes.....
She reffered me to someone in her family a few days later. I started to cut his grass at 2 on accident. I noticed after about 10 feet that it was on 2 because it was leaving small rivots and/or turning the grass yellow in spots. I then set it on 2.5 and finished his yard. When I was done, He ask me to cut it shorter next time.

My question is, Do these people not realize what cutting it lower will do? Do they care more about tall grass then the yellow spotted grass?
Also, I cut these two yards bi-weekly, Wont the yellow eventually go away if its cut weekly?

MeadowsLawnCare
06-30-2007, 01:47 AM
It depends on how much business you have. If you really need the business cut it at what they want. Or you can try to print out some information on cutting grass too short. If you don't need the business i would tell them my way or the highway. The finished product represents your business. People see how your work looks and if it looks bad do you think they will hire you?

Stillwater
06-30-2007, 04:09 AM
My question is, Do these people not realize what cutting it lower will do? Do they care more about tall grass then the yellow spotted grass?
Also, I cut these two yards bi-weekly, Wont the yellow eventually go away if its cut weekly?[/QUOTE]

Ok Hear is a frank and blunt answer to your question, It doesen't matter if they know or not know what short grass will do in the hot sun. it is their lawn they want it cut short and cut every other week, it is clear they are more intrested in saveing money than green grass. Don't waist your time "worrying" about their grass, they don't care.

Wells
06-30-2007, 11:35 AM
I personally prefer a 2.5" cut and start all new clients out at that height but some ask to have it cut shorter and some ask to have it cut longer. If they have a preference I have no problem giving them what they want but most are happy with my setting. I currently have cuts that range from 2" on up to 4". Just give the client what they want or they'll find someone else who will.

stevenf
06-30-2007, 11:48 AM
I was thinking I should cut the side of there house and show them what it does to see if they really want it shorter. Should I do this or just do what they want?

Also, will the yellow go away if its cut every week? will the grass get used to it?

Stillwater
06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
you could educate them on the pros and cons about cutting hights, but chances are they already know and the motivation for short every other week mowing is money saved. yellowing should disappear in 2 days. with a deep root system grass will withstand short cutting and lack of moisture but all this depends on the type of grass. quickly mention it to them but try not to worry about a customers lawn when they don't.

ed2hess
06-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Usually it is the bi-weekly guys that want it cut low so it looks better longer. After we told a customer it would cost $1 more to set special heights they dropped us and we were glad....

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-30-2007, 06:31 PM
We mow it how the customer wants it. Usually they want it higher, only 1 thus far wants it lower. No matter how low we cut it, it's gonna look good when we get done, and it's their lawn. Remember the old saying "the customer is always right?"

bohiaa
06-30-2007, 09:24 PM
yea, I have a million dollar home that they want it cut on 2" every time.

here in Texas ya just cant do that. when It gets hot it will burn the grass.

So I said ok, BUT here sgin this....

BlueShieldLawnCare
07-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Good idea bohiaa! That'll keep you in the clear while keeping the client happy. Awesome tip!