PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas What This Could Be?

GLLawns
06-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a 2003 Dodge Durango with 49,000 miles on it. Just recently the engine light has come on, and I noticed that it was running a little rough the past few weeks at start up and at idle. The other day my wife started it when I was by the tailpipe and I noticed black colored smoke followed by a very light purple colored smoke. The exhaust also smelled a lot different then what normal exhaust would smell, it had a strong burnt smell but not like oil burning. I've checked the oil levels repeatedly the last few days and there is no change in the level and the smoke has not happened again at start up. One of my neighbors said it may be the o2 sensors and that he took his out and cleaned them and reinstalled with no further problems. His truck is a Ram 1500 with the same engine as my Durango so maybe this is my problem? Any help would be appreciated, this is my truck for pulling my trailer for now so I can't afford to blow it up. I was also thinking of just taking it to the shop and having them put it on the diagnostic machine to see if there are any fault codes.:confused:

John Gamba
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a 2003 Dodge Durango with 49,000 miles on it. Just recently the engine light has come on, and I noticed that it was running a little rough the past few weeks at start up and at idle. The other day my wife started it when I was by the tailpipe and I noticed black colored smoke followed by a very light purple colored smoke. The exhaust also smelled a lot different then what normal exhaust would smell, it had a strong burnt smell but not like oil burning. I've checked the oil levels repeatedly the last few days and there is no change in the level and the smoke has not happened again at start up. One of my neighbors said it may be the o2 sensors and that he took his out and cleaned them and reinstalled with no further problems. His truck is a Ram 1500 with the same engine as my Durango so maybe this is my problem? Any help would be appreciated, this is my truck for pulling my trailer for now so I can't afford to blow it up. I was also thinking of just taking it to the shop and having them put it on the diagnostic machine to see if there are any fault codes.:confused:

Could be the o2 or a temp censer. get the code sucked out and see what the problem might be before changing any parts.

Happy 4th:waving:

mike lane lawn care
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
i would guess either o2 sensor, or a recent problem with my friends GMC canyon, is a wire from the throttle body unit came un hooked and caused it to run very rough.

GLLawns
07-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Got my Durango back this week, cost me over $330 to get fixed. Ther was 3 or 4 vacumn hoses that had dry rot and cracks in them. It also needed a full tune up which made a big difference in how it runs now. Hopefully everything else holds out till the end of the season when I get a new fullsize truck.