PDA

View Full Version : Edger or edgit?

stevenf
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Is an edgit worth getting or should I just buy an edger or make my next trimmer the kind with attatchments?

I only have one trimmer at the time so can the edgit just easily pop right off?

Wells
06-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Is an edgit worth getting or should I just buy an edger or make my next trimmer the kind with attatchments?

An edgit works good at maintaining an already established edge. If the grass has overgrown the sidewalk by several inches your going to need an edger to actually cut it back, you would be there all day trying to do it with a string trimmer and an edgit attachment. My advice would be to purchase an actual stick edger, you won't regret it and stay away from the Echo PE-200 sold at Home Depot, not enough power.

echeandia
06-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Go with a stick edger. It leaves a much cleaner cut than a string trimmer. Besides, like Wells said, when you get to a lawn which is overgrown the string trimmer won't be able to do the job.

EJD Lawnpride
06-30-2007, 04:08 PM
We maintain our edges with a string trimmer. Looking to get an edgit. However, a stick edger is necessary for lawns that have never had good edges. To switch from trimmer to edger is time consuming, thats why we use the trimmers

EJK2352
06-30-2007, 04:18 PM
We maintain our edges with a string trimmer. Looking to get an edgit. However, a stick edger is necessary for lawns that have never had good edges. To switch from trimmer to edger is time consuming, thats why we use the trimmers

Me too!!! I will establish edges w/ an edger and maintain w/ string trimmer.

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-30-2007, 06:34 PM
We use a stick edger to edge, and a string trimmer to weedeat. We've found that's what looks the best, takes the least amount of time, and is most cst effective.

BUCKEYE MOWING
06-30-2007, 07:30 PM

The edgit stays on ..but it will mantain an edge and saves line IMHO ....I love mine . But I do have to use an edger on over grown edges...

EJD Lawnpride
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
How can it be quicker and more cost effective to use both trimmer and edger every week on a property?maybe if you have two guys weedeating,one can edge,and one can weedeat. But for the solo guy that would mean extra time.

echeandia
06-30-2007, 10:38 PM
We maintain our edges with a string trimmer....To switch from trimmer to edger is time consuming

How much time would it take? One minute? You should slow down a little an do a better job.

BlueShieldLawnCare
07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
There are 2 of us, and it is quicker for us bc we work as a team. We emphasize QUALITY over how fast we can get out of there, and that's what keeps our clients with us. We don't leave until the property looks good, and if that takes a few extra minutes, so be it.

txgrassguy
07-01-2007, 12:41 AM
How can it be quicker and more cost effective to use both trimmer and edger every week on a property?maybe if you have two guys weedeating,one can edge,and one can weedeat. But for the solo guy that would mean extra time.

I run three grounds crews and all of the hand trimmers have edgits on them - all thirteen Stihl RX110's.
How fast is it - consider on most commercial properties we maintain there is over 800 linear feet of concrete edging to maintain - at each property.
So what is faster - having a dedicated stick edger or everyone having the edgit which also helps in the normal hand trimming?
I buy in bulk - usually run through about thirty or so each year - but the time savings, not to mention no more scalping, has really paid off.

lurch
07-01-2007, 01:05 AM
i love my pe-260

EJD Lawnpride
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
We have an 95%retention rate. We have grown from 15 to 120l awns in three years. We do a great job. My guys just use weedeaters. the stick edger stays at home, unless a new house w/poor edges.

stevenf
07-02-2007, 12:51 AM
ok, I plan on getting some type of edger in the future,when its necessary.
What about the edgit? does it just easily pop on and off? Is it worth the money? does it do a very clean, straight job or should I put the money away for an edger cause its not worth it?

RAY GLICK
07-03-2007, 10:14 PM
i think it's worth the money if you do a lot of edging. i don't take mine off and on ,since its held on with the 3 screws that normaly hold on the guard. it does a nice straight cut and makes it easier for employees to learn to edge nice and straight. i don't use it a lot myself ( can edge straight without one) but its nice for the new guys. it can also be used for regular trimming, and helps minimize scalping since you can see your cutting edge. I like my trimmers as light weight as possible, and this does add a little end weight, otherwise i'd use it more.