PDA

View Full Version : Jump starting Kohler engine

Medic Man
07-01-2007, 12:20 PM
OK...I made a prior post about battery problems and charging and voltage regulators....I was having problems with melting fuses.

I ran the mower for a few times with the fuse out of the charging wire because I was waiting on the shop to get me a new voltage regulator...predictably the battery eventually got low, barely had enough juice to crank, so I put a fuse in, mowed my yard, and the battery was dead when I got done.

My question is...do you think I messed something up by jump starting it before? I haven't since I got some advice on here, and when I charge the battery it starts quickly and seems to be running well. If I had burned up the ECM I should have some symptoms I would think. I was kind of thinking that maybe I just didn't run it long enough to charge that battery back up. ( About 20 min).

Engine: Kohler cv7455

Bill Kapaun
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know what equipment the engine is mounted on, but...
Typical charging systems for that engine would be 15, 20 or 25 Amp.
Assuming you were running the engine at full speed, you would have that capacity MINUS any electrical loads such as electric clutch, headlights, fuel solenoid etc.
20 minutes may simply have not been enough???
If you have a voltmeter, have you measured the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running full speed?
One caution- IF the battery Voltage is low, you may risk damaging the electric clutch IF the charging system isn't doing its' job.

thecrankshaft
07-02-2007, 10:58 AM
EFI engine should have the 25 amp charging system. Troubleshoot it per the service manual. Most charging issues are a result of a poor ground between the body of the rectifier-regulator and ground (engine block).