PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question....please help

PlatinumLandCon
07-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi Everyone,
Iíve run a lawn care business for 3 years and have run into some houses with sides that look horrible. The houses are so close together that nothing can grow there and it just looks bad. I was wondering who else has done work like this and what you priced the job at. Also, whatís the most effective way of selling landscaping like this. Iíll post some pics of example properties.
Thanks!

P.S. Post your before/after pics so I can get ideas.

PlatinumLandCon
07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
FINALLY i'm able to upload pics. these are examples of the spaces i'd like to fix. sorry about the quality, they came from my phone.

tthomass
07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Poor soil and no irrigation = no grow.

A grand staircase would look nice or boulder steppers. Work in a dry creek bed to control run off.

Otherwise, amend the soil, lay sod and have a reliable source of water to keep it alive.

PlatinumLandCon
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
i was thinkin that. problem with sod is it only gets like 1 hour of sun a day. do you have any pics of the stone you're talking about?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I usually go with a rock garden. Some nice gravel, character boulders, a few plants and it is NICE! I tier the hills off with natural stone that compliments the other stone or landscape if it's a bad slope. Make sure you keep all aspects of access in mind.

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Looking at the first 2 pictures, my maintenance property is the one with the A/C unit. Would it be best for me to sell something to both homeowners? I was thinking of having a main set of stairs from the top until about 8 feet from the gates and then split them off leading to the gates. Would this be what you proís would do?
Thanks guys!

Bill S
07-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Be aware that the ground is pitching to the middle...meaning water isn't running towards the foundations! When you are done disturbing the soil make sure that the water still isn't going toward the foundations. You do not need Mrs Homeowner to have a flooded basement!

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
I'll keep that in mind for all my projects.

tthomass
07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Sell you idea to your customer first. Then ask them for their opinions on doing the whole thing and getting their neighbors involved. Most likely they'll go for it, let them mention to the neighbors and then you follow in.

Benefit that you can sell on is that you can make larger steps/landings that both can benefit from vs small steps down one side.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Use everyone of these replies to your advantage. 9 out of 10 times it will be a neighbor to neighbor type project. One neighbor might want to do the steps but the other doesn't. They will still use some type of improvement. Just try to design it that it will be easy for you (for both properties) to install and it will compliment the whole area. The last job I did the one side had a flagstone walkway and the other side had the plants.

PlatinumLandCon
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
What do you guys think the job on the 1st 2 pics would cost. I'd plan on installing steps that are 4 feet wide and split the steps about 6-8 feet from the bottom leading to each gate. I'm just trying to get a VERY general figure so I know what I'm gettin into. I'll visit the customers and a few stoneyards to firm up my estimate this week.