PDA

View Full Version : Where do you want to go as a company?

mrusk
07-01-2007, 10:56 PM
It seems like ever since i started by company 3 years ago i have been slowly changing the direction of my company. Actually it seems like i have changed direction rather quickly.

Where do you guys want to go with your companies? Do you want to add more crews? Diversify into other landscape services? Stay exactly the same size you are?

What do you really want to do with your business?

Mike33
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Stay the same size, not work so hard, and make 3 times more money.:usflag:
Mike

NewHorizon's Land
07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Run 2 crews of hardscape, 1 landscape installation, 1 landscape and lawn maintenance(combined), and 2 mowing crews. I would be bidding jobs along with 2 other people and have a total of about 20-25 people on payroll including secretarys. That is the goal of the company for the next 7- 10 years.

Justin

NNJLandman
07-02-2007, 12:14 PM
become the largest Lawn & Landscape provider in North Jersey of course

mrusk
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
become the largest Lawn & Landscape provider in North Jersey of course

That can not be your goal!!!!! Its my goal! Not really..

paponte
07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Sometimes I wonder. The more work that comes in seems the more aspirin your taking as well. Maintenance we have down to a science. Hardscaping seems like rocket science to most guys around here, and it's hard to find qualified help. Either that or you hire the guy that "knows everything" but knowsd the wrong way about everything. Sometimes it's nice just cathing the small fish and working with just a helper. The big fish do make the pockets feel nice after all is said and done though. :)

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
What a question to ask. My goal for 2007 is making $10k this summer with lawn care/landscaping and $3k with snow removal this winter. In 2008 I plan to expand LOTS. My goal is $25k in summer ’08 with 1 full-time helper. 2009 is where my business will really take off. I hope to top $50k while having a 2 person lawn care crew and 2 landscapers (myself and another). I want to be doing at least $1500 per week with landscaping and around $1k with lawn maintenance.
These are very high goals to set for myself but I think they are very attainable.

mrusk
07-03-2007, 09:37 PM
What a question to ask. My goal for 2007 is making $10k this summer with lawn care/landscaping and $3k with snow removal this winter. In 2008 I plan to expand LOTS. My goal is $25k in summer ’08 with 1 full-time helper. 2009 is where my business will really take off. I hope to top $50k while having a 2 person lawn care crew and 2 landscapers (myself and another). I want to be doing at least $1500 per week with landscaping and around $1k with lawn maintenance.
These are very high goals to set for myself but I think they are very attainable.

How old are you?? Those goals are completly obtainable. I am 21 and in my third year of business. I am doing projects that i thought would take me 10 years in business to get.

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2007, 09:46 PM
How old are you?? Those goals are completly obtainable. I am 21 and in my third year of business. I am doing projects that i thought would take me 10 years in business to get.

I'm 16 and with Canadian driving liscense regulations, I can't even own a car until this November (because of my birthdate). Once I get a car I'm going to take off and be able to serve a MUCH larger market.

forestfireguy
07-03-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd like to be running 2 maintenance crews, 1 commercial and one residential, 2 hardscaping crews and 1 detail crew and 1 excavating/sitework for subbing to others, we have all the equipment for most excavating and earth moving work, I hate to see all that equipment sit not making money. Right now we have 1 maint, 1 hardscape, and the detail crew is the second hardscape crew when work makes it neccesary.

I hate maint, it is headaches but we have developed a pretty overhead loaded financial footprint and as such need maint to maintain cash flow. My goals in regard to commercial maintenance is to look for big turf, the kind of stuff where a crew with 2 big mowers and a guy trimming only has to move max once a day, thereby not wasting as much seat time.....This may not be realistic but I'll try.

mrusk
07-03-2007, 10:19 PM
It seems like every 3 months my thoughts change where i want to go. I never thought i'd be doing what i am doing now. I do not think being the biggest company will make the most money. I am 100% about quality over production. I just want to do very highend work.

PlatinumLandCon
07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
It seems like every 3 months my thoughts change where i want to go. I never thought i'd be doing what i am doing now. I do not think being the biggest company will make the most money. I am 100% about quality over production. I just want to do very highend work.

AGREED! Quality work and quality rep will make more money in the long run.

tthomass
07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
hmmmm

Keep growing, save the $ and invest. Purchase about 100 acres, build a garage with a house (big garage).

Run 3 crews, thats it. No mowing, it sucks. Landscape/Hardscape construction. Continue getting people feeding ME work to limit what I must go out and get. Maybe hire a tree guy and have a 4th crew.

So I need two more Internationals, a T300+, excavator, trailers etc.......like to have about a 20 acre lot. Rent part of it out to other contractors to cover my mortage and use the other 10-15 acres for my equipment, office, storage, bulk material, stone and plant material (ordered from the grower).

Hopefully take a big step towards that in 2 more seasons after this one as I hope to relocate the business back closer home (family) and get the h*ll out of northern VA. Problem is its mighty green here, I'll be established and man is that going to be hard to let go of.

On the plus side, I'm young and single allowing me a lot of time and opportunity to devote to my business, as I do now.

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2007, 12:24 AM
tthomass, how much you thiking of investing into your property? I've been looking at places near my house (parent's house) and it looks to me $25k+/acre within a 10 min drive of the built-up city. Over 30 mins away from city is under $10k/acre, but if you're storing things there, is it worth it to have your crews have the extra drive time to get to your property?

chesie
07-04-2007, 01:48 AM
$25k/ acre .....$10k/acre :dizzy: I wish!!!!!! That is a steal. I just spent $200k/acre here and that is quite reasonable in this area.

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2007, 01:14 PM
$25k/ acre .....$10k/acre :dizzy: I wish!!!!!! That is a steal. I just spent $200k/acre here and that is quite reasonable in this area.

I already live near the edge of the suburbs already. $25k/acre is 10 mins outside the suburbs. Thats a reasonable price for blank land, not a building lot w/ sewer & water etc.

D Felix
07-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Guess I've got it good then... :D

My wife and I bought 10.8 acres with a house, two barns, garage and a 3/4 acre pond 5 years ago for less than $160k...

I don't know where the business is going for sure.... I just show up each day!!

mrusk
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
AGREED! Quality work and quality rep will make more money in the long run.

Big difference in doing high end work and quality work. You can build a quality wall, a quality patio etc etc. However, a wall, patio, etc can never be high end by itself. A highend job is a total package: Hardscapes, masonry, softscapes, irrigation, lighting, water features, etc. If i can not do majority of those things on a job i have no interest in the job.

I just want to have 15-20 and just do 5-10 projects a year. My average job cost is increasing very fast. The way i am going i see myself doing very few jobs under six figures in a couple of years.

PlatinumLandCon
07-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Big difference in doing high end work and quality work. You can build a quality wall, a quality patio etc etc. However, a wall, patio, etc can never be high end by itself. A highend job is a total package: Hardscapes, masonry, softscapes, irrigation, lighting, water features, etc. If i can not do majority of those things on a job i have no interest in the job.

I just want to have 15-20 and just do 5-10 projects a year. My average job cost is increasing very fast. The way i am going i see myself doing very few jobs under six figures in a couple of years.

WOW! How do you find jobs like these?

Dirty Water
07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
An Acre of land out here will fetch about 1.5 mil.

tthomass
07-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I do not know what I will invest into the land and setup as I do not plan to remain in this area. Northern VA is not for me and I intend on relocating the company to either Roanoke, VA or Raleigh, NC at the moment. This is however a solid two more seasons away. When I do the move I want overhead minimal (toys paid) and have enough money in the bank to go full swing and basically make the competition wonder where the heck I came from.

mrusk
07-04-2007, 11:39 PM
WOW! How do you find jobs like these?

First you build a profile of the type of person who would spend those figures on landscaping. Then you figure out the best way to reach those people.

kreft
07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I would like...
1 mowing
1 hardscape
1 site work
-I would go into buisness fulltime.
-buy another skid steer with bucket, forks, snow blade, soil conditional, and rock hound.
-buy a straw blower instead of renting all of the time.
-open another shop back in my woods

kreft
07-05-2007, 01:02 PM
I would like...
1 mowing
1 hardscape
1 site work
-I would go into buisness fulltime.
-buy another skid steer with bucket, forks, snow blade, soil conditional, and rock hound.
-buy a straw blower instead of renting all of the time.
-open another shop back in my woods

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Right now we have 1 Mow, 1 Maint, and 1 Construction crew. In the next 2 years I want 2 Mow, 1 Maint/labor, 1 Mow/Maint, 1 Construction and 1 site work crew. We have 9 employees right now and I would like to get to about 15 or so in the next couple years with a better shop setup along with some lower overhead. We hold a great reputation in our area and want to keep it that way by not just providing lawn care like everyone else, we are a real landscape company, along with being educated(landscape management and business) allows us to have an upper hand in a lot of our projects.
Good luck guys
James

GreenMonster
07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I just want to find some employees that care about quality like I do.

PlatinumLandCon
07-09-2007, 06:25 PM

I've run into this problem many times when hiring people. When you're only making hourly wage its hard to put in extra effort i guess.

GreenMonster
07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I've run into this problem many times when hiring people. When you're only making hourly wage its hard to put in extra effort i guess.

Yeah, well, I used to work for the man, by the hour, and always cared about what I did and took pride in my work. Generally speaking, that seems to be mostly a thing of the past.

Jamesgateslandscaping
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with Mark. I just dont understand how even older people (yes, I know Im young) that are hired to do a job still dont even give a $hit. I have one salery guy and want to get a few more that way because I think quality will get better and we'll have less headaches. Only time will tell.
James

GroundScapesIncorporated
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
I do not know what I will invest into the land and setup as I do not plan to remain in this area. Northern VA is not for me and I intend on relocating the company to either Roanoke, VA or Raleigh, NC at the moment. This is however a solid two more seasons away. When I do the move I want overhead minimal (toys paid) and have enough money in the bank to go full swing and basically make the competition wonder where the heck I came from.

There is no work in Roanoke its all in Raliegh, Just kidding Thomas, I could use a little competetion here.

If you wanted to make us wonder where you came from, I think you just let the secret out.

D Felix
07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Somehow I can believe that, seeing as how you've tried to get me to pick up and re-locate. :rolleyes: :waving:

GreenMonster
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Somehow I can believe that, seeing as how you've tried to get me to pick up and re-locate. :rolleyes: :waving:

yeah, and the offer just went up! A quality guy could just about name his price right now.

mrusk
07-10-2007, 07:56 PM
My foreman is top notch. His work quality is better then mine. As far as i know, i think he is the highest paid foreman in northern NJ!