PDA

View Full Version : Changing headlight bulb

mcwlandscaping
07-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I am going to be changing out my headlight bulbs most likely tomorrow to some better ones. However, when i put the silverstars in that i have now, i had to take out the batteries (i have two, one behind each headlight) in order to access the headlight. Is there an easier way to change out the bulb than taking the batteries out?

Jason Rose
07-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Don't have to touch the battery on mine, but mine it a 2000 1/2 ton. Not sure there is that much difference under the hood though. Your headight assemblies should just pop out with the flip of a couple levers like mine do. If I recall, my '93 was the same design.

MHM
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
some rigs have pins to hold the headlight assenbly in place. Pull the pins and the assenbly may come out the front.
MHM

mcwlandscaping
07-01-2007, 11:42 PM
What do those pins look like? and how easy are those to pull......thinking about it, it wouldn't exactly be the safest thing if you had to pull the batteries to get to the headlights since if you were on the side of the road at night and you had to change them, that wouldn't be the easiest thing to do!

Jason Rose
07-01-2007, 11:53 PM
If you can't see them, then your truck must not have them... They are black and 2 to 3 inches long each. Pretty noticiable. They are L-shaped and hook into "catches" on the back of the headlamp. You just swing them around and then pull them out. Really ingenious design, because you can pull the whole headlame out and replace it, and once you put the pins back in the lamp is still adjusted the way it was.

mcwlandscaping
07-02-2007, 12:07 AM
I should add, i have composite beam headlights......if that changes anything, the ones that you just unplug and unscrew the bulb on, not the whole lamp.

South Florida Lawns
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
On my 03 i got pins that slide out. My moms 01 suburban has pins as well. I put those silverstars in my truck and they never fit back into place and I could bearly tell a diff, just a tad bit more white light. I took them back waste of 50 bucks I thought. I spent 20 at walmart on the sylvania cool blue bulbs and they actually fit like the stock bulbs and gave a white/blue off that really looks good, although I think they are not as bright as my stock bulbs

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
On my 03 i got pins that slide out. My moms 01 suburban has pins as well. I put those silverstars in my truck and they never fit back into place and I could bearly tell a diff, just a tad bit more white light. I took them back waste of 50 bucks I thought. I spent 20 at walmart on the sylvania cool blue bulbs and they actually fit like the stock bulbs and gave a white/blue off that really looks good, although I think they are not as bright as my stock bulbs

gotta do what i did, i added aftermarket 55 watt driving lights, and a bull bar with 4 55W lights, driving on those winding mountan roads at night is now fun.

mcwlandscaping
07-04-2007, 04:40 PM
gotta do what i did, i added aftermarket 55 watt driving lights, and a bull bar with 4 55W lights, driving on those winding mountan roads at night is now fun.
got pics??

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
got pics??

i'll be sure to take some tomorrow morning