PDA

View Full Version : 05 Ram 2500 Diesel VS 04 Chevy 2500 Crew

Pinehilllandscaping
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm looking at buying one of these two trucks and I'm not too familar with either one, so I wanted some feedback from some of the members.

The first truck is a 2004 Chevy 2500 crew cab, long bed, w/6.0 V8, 15K miles and 100,000 mile warranty for $23,000. The second truck is a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins, long bed with 43K miles for $28,000. I'm leaning towards the chevy due to the warranty but I was wondering if it would be worth it to get the Cummins for the long haul. Any thoughts/suggestions?

salopez
07-02-2007, 03:51 PM
get the diesel.

Gravel Rat
07-02-2007, 07:32 PM
You are comparing apples to oranges.

For one your buying a Chevy with a small block engine the truck will be a little underpowered for pulling a trailer. Number 2 the Chevy is a crewcab and the Dodge is not do you need a long as a bus crew cab ?

You have to decide on what type of truck you need not just because the truck has a warrenty on it.

Myself I wouldn't buy a Dodge I would take a Chevy over a Dodge.

SimonCX
07-02-2007, 08:13 PM
You should be able to find a new 2500hd in the 25-28k range bepending on the options. Cummins should have a 5 year 100k engine warranty if I remember correct. For that amount I you rather go new because you never know how someone drove the truck before, plus the apr is more on used.

Mr.Mow-It-All
07-02-2007, 10:25 PM
You should be able to find a new 2500hd in the 25-28k range bepending on the options. Cummins should have a 5 year 100k engine warranty if I remember correct. For that amount I you rather go new because you never know how someone drove the truck before, plus the apr is more on used.

I've got a 2005 dodge 4x4 2500 cummins. It does have the 100K mile warranty and 28k sounds about right. New your looking at 38-42k and the megacabs are pushing 50k. My truck msrp was 42k when I bought it. I am very pleased with my truck.

POPO4995
07-03-2007, 10:32 AM
It all depends how long you plan to keep the truck. More than say 3-4 years? Then go diesel because you will then see the benefits as far as mileage and other factors a gas engine cant offer. Cummins are bulletproof and I wouldnt hesitate, if it was me, to get the Dodge. You will be pleased either way, so in the end it comes back to you, what do you really want or like more?:)

hosejockey2002
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
What do you plan on using the truck for? I have a 6.0 powered 2500HD with a dump insert that I use for hauling materials, making dump runs, towing my 2,000 lb. enclosed trailer daily and my 5500 lb. flatbed occaisionally. It pulls strong with the bed loaded and a trailer behind. For lighter towing and short distances it's the perfect engine. If you tow heavier, run a lot of miles or do the "weekend warrior" thing with your truck such as pulling a toy hauler, the diesel is probably the way to go.

Pinehilllandscaping
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I mainly need something to haul loads of mulch and topsoil. I guess I should add that I am also looking into getting a dump trailer at the end of the year. I have a 95 F-150 now and its good for towing around the trailer and mowers but it struggles on heavier loads. Plus I would like the extra room of the crew cab or even the quad cab.

Thanks to all who posted their advice/opinions. I'm going to go back and test drive both of them again this week.

RedWingsDet
07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
I bought a brand new chevy reg cab with the 6.0 for 24,500 NEW, WITH a plow, and the DEALER paid for tax, tags and any additional fees. I would get new.

Tom in NC
07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Gravel Rat - any rational for your statement, "Myself I wouldn't buy a Dodge I would take a Chevy over a Dodge" or are you just a Chevy guy. I've got a 1999 Dodge Ram with 148,000 miles and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it cross country. It's taken a beating and keeps on running. Did you have a bad experience with Dodge?

Gravel Rat
07-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Dodge is junk the engine is the only thing good about them the rest of the truck is a crap box. Dodge uses springs in a 3/4 ton designed for a 1/4 ton the sheet metal on the truck is thin as a pop can. Dodge 4x4s have a horrible front suspension and front axle system. Very cheaply constructed trucks why do you thing you can buy a Dodge couple thousand dollars cheaper than a Ford or a Chev. Why do you think Dodge has such a poor resale value because they are a cheap truck

My brother has a 94 Dodge Cummins the engine is good the truck is cheap compared to a Ford or Chev.

Ford and Chev are proven work trucks look at how many of them are on the road. Chevy is used alot for muni trucks beat the crap out of and keep standing up.

If I couldn't buy a Ford it would be a Chev.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I drive a chevy! but in this case i would go with the Dodge diesel

Detroitdan
07-05-2007, 06:13 AM
Like everyone says, the Cummins is a great motor in a substandard truck. Weak front suspensions and weak transmissions. However, I'm not a huge fan of the 6.0 Chevy, I had a bunch of them for work trucks and they all got 13 towing and had no grunt on hills towing in the 8-10,000 lb range. I did have one in a 2wd that had better rear end gears, probably 4:10 as opposed to 3:73, and that truck worked awesome. But for mowers the 6.0 is plenty. I would go for the diesel if you're going to pull a skidsteer or loads of material much, otherwise get the Chevy.
Actually, what I usually tell people is to go and test drive everything in your price range that appeals to you, then let the truck sell itself to you. That way you are most likely to be happy with what you got. You'll never get any help with the decision from internet forums, because there are too many different opinions, many of them completely wrong (except of course mine).

POPO4995
07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Dodge is junk the engine is the only thing good about them the rest of the truck is a crap box. Dodge uses springs in a 3/4 ton designed for a 1/4 ton the sheet metal on the truck is thin as a pop can. Dodge 4x4s have a horrible front suspension and front axle system. Very cheaply constructed trucks why do you thing you can buy a Dodge couple thousand dollars cheaper than a Ford or a Chev. Why do you think Dodge has such a poor resale value because they are a cheap truck

My brother has a 94 Dodge Cummins the engine is good the truck is cheap compared to a Ford or Chev.

Ford and Chev are proven work trucks look at how many of them are on the road. Chevy is used alot for muni trucks beat the crap out of and keep standing up.

If I couldn't buy a Ford it would be a Chev.
My buddy has a 1998 Dodge 1500 Reg Cab, looks brand new with 162,000 miles and no major problems. I love Dodges personally.:)

ProMo
07-07-2007, 07:48 AM
I think cummins is actually covered for 10 years/100000 miles, my 01 warranty book clearly states that the cummins warranty goes into effect after the 3/36k has passed. http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/ram_warranty.jsp