PDA

View Full Version : Do You Work 13-14 Hour Days?

Mark in MD
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I believe this is my first thread started.

I read in another thread that a lot of people plan on working July 4th. I don't get that. I've never worked July 4th in my life. In fact, I typically work four days a week in starting in late June and into September -- sometimes even three days a week. How? I start at 7 am, and I work until dark. That way I get all my work done.

How many of you work 13-14 hours a day when you have the chance? I do.

How many work 8-10 hours only, and then decide to quit and go home for the day, regardless of whether you're done, or caught up?

T.E.
07-02-2007, 05:59 PM
We try to complete the days work, no matter the hours....So yes we do sometimes. Later, Tony

carcrz
07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
I get as much done in a day as possible. I'd much rather work fewer days & more hours than more days w/ fewer hours per day.

rodfather
07-02-2007, 06:15 PM
it's all in what you consider "work" Mark

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
My guys would not go for 13-14 hours a day. Most of the time were done buy 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

coonman
07-02-2007, 06:24 PM

I read in another thread that a lot of people plan on working July 4th. I don't get that. I've never worked July 4th in my life. In fact, I typically work four days a week in starting in late June and into September -- sometimes even three days a week. How? I start at 7 am, and I work until dark. That way I get all my work done.

How many work 8-10 hours only, and then decide to quit and go home for the day, regardless of whether you're done, or caught up?

I understand your logic in wanting to work less days, but don't you have a full schedule on Friday, Thur, Etc. We would always make sure we finished our schedule for the day, but would not start on the next days schedule the night before.

americanlawn
07-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I hear ya Mark. That way you can have fun on weekends. I remember working 90 hour weeks when I started my own business, but after two decades, I'm getting burned out. I still put in 2 hours more per day compared to my employees, but now I seldom work more than 55 hours a week, although there are exceptions. I know one thing....the more hours you work, the more money you make. Too bad Uncle Sam penalizes those who work hard for a living, cuz we're paying for lazy Americans. Sad but true.

mdlwn1
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I would always work 10+. Seems like I wouldn't profit until after 1 or so...then it would pile up.

Sym
07-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I/We average 10 hour days from loading up to unloading at home. Where i was today, we got lots of couds, rained to my west, south and east but not where I was so it was nice and cool. I just kept going so I put in almost 12 hours today.

ed2hess
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
People with crews need to work 5 days a week......or the guys will go get another job on the days off.....and quality suffers as you get beyond a certain point....

greenscapes,inc.
07-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Summer is only 7 ro 8 months out of the year. You have to get it why it lasts and take the winter off (other than snow removal) I work 10-14 hours a day 6 days a week and my employees usually work 5 to 6 days a week. Overtime sucks but good help is hard to find.

Toy2
07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
What do you do when you get old?

Nobody works the 4th, maybe the people at the quik pack selling gas.:usflag:

DBL
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
pull out of the shop around 7:30....everyone wants to end at 5 oh and lunch at noon

mattfromNY
07-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I havent taken a day off since May 5th. Memorial day, fathers day, 4th, just another day...
I've been working long days, but I'm starting to get ahead on my bills, want to get my equipment paid for, then I will rest a little this winter. As long as the calls keep coming in, I'll keep working.

Bigray
07-02-2007, 10:59 PM
i usually will not work past 4 i start at 8
in the past i used to work on sat am's but lately i have been getting it all done on fri.

Grits
07-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I will finish the route for the day and if we have landscaping and there is enough time to get started on it, I will do that. Really though the day doesn't end for me until I go to bed. I am always doing something business related.....either paperwork, estimating, equipment maintenance, phone calls, Lawnsite (research) :) I love it all though.

fiveoboy01
07-03-2007, 03:00 AM
There are some days I work 14+ hours.

5-6 hours cutting during the morning/day, then 8 hours at my fulltime job, get home at 12:30 am. Sucks...

Sandgropher
07-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Gee some of you blokes need to stop and smell the roses and have a couple of beers, it does not matter which order you do it .:)

RICHIE K
07-03-2007, 07:06 AM
My guys work 8 hour days 6 days a week, 3 days out of the week I myself go back out a do some service calls.

Mark in MD
07-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Okay. Thanks for all your input.

I guess I'm a light-weight. I only work like 35 hours a week in the summer. And I would much rather do three 12-hour days than five 7-hour days.

This week for example, I didn't work yesterday.

Today, I got up at 5, got on the road at 6:30, started cutting at 7. Finished at 5. It was a light day. Then I welded a mower. Done at 6. Drank a couple beers.

Tomorrow I'm not working. It's a national holiday.

Thursday, weather permitting, I'm working a good solid 13 hour day, from 7 AM until 8 PM. I'll probably cut around 28 lawns by myself. No breaks, no lunch, just work straight through.

Friday, I'll do around 18 lawns, from 7 AM until 5 PM. Then I'm done for the week.

Saturday off. Sunday off.

Next week, I probably won't even work Monday. Why should I? I'm self employed. I can do whatever I want. I'll wait until Tuesday.

KrayzKajun
07-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Sun up to Sun down!!

Vikings
07-04-2007, 12:06 AM
The only time I work that many hours is when it absolutely has to get done, like after a snow storm (I'm in snow removal). Don't think I could handle in the sun on a very hot day though.

Chilehead
07-04-2007, 12:14 AM
I am mostly a solo operation, so I work 12 hours a day but only 9-10 hours in the field.

Vikings
07-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I am mostly a solo operation, so I work 12 hours a day but only 9-10 hours in the field.

Oh good point, I never even considered all the stuff I do at home as part of my work day. I guess after 8-9 years I still think like an employee.

Bloody phone calls, designing flyers, printing bills.. trying to remember stuff, lol.

Jason Rose
07-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I think working later into the evenings pushes the "annoying" button with a lot of homeowners. Just like the many threads that discuss what time is too early to start, there is also "how late is too late to be running a loud machine around in a neghiborhood."

Personally, my customers hired me because I'm sull time and a professional. I show up during the daytime when everyone else is at work. If they really didn't care they could have hired one of the MANY guys that mow after work till dark. I find myself apologizing to people too often when I'm running behind and working late. It's not only wrecking the peace and quiet for the people you are working for but most of the neghiborhood.

Tonight, on my way home from finishing my Tuesday scheduled lawns at 6:30 I received a call from one of my Wednesday (afternoon) customers because they were having a get-together/pool party tomorrow after 12:00. I do this house and the neghibors, both large props. takes me around 2 hours for the 2. I decided that, rather than jumble up tomorrows schedule (and YES, I'm working, just like every other lawn care co. in town!) I stopped by home for a few minutes and then took back out and knocked those 2 out tonight. That makes for 14 hours today for me. Frankly, that's ENOUGH. And I sure don't enjoy doing it multiple days in a row... Because the "day off" that would come at the end of the week would simply be filled with more work and another long day.

Jason Rose
07-04-2007, 12:26 AM

I hear ya there! That's where I try to fool myself as well. I think I worked from 7:30 till like 6:00, when I was finished cutting... But then I still spent most of the evening doing stuff for the business, servicing equipment, dumping grass, and on and on and on. Then what do I do? Come in and look at the computer, and 90% of the time it's some sort of green industry forum! I bet there's not too many other tradesmen that spend all day working, then all night talking about it online...

Mark in MD
07-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Thing is though, it cools down in the evening, and it's actually the best time to work. No morning dew, no afternoon heat. Evening is the best time. And I always get a second wind as soon as the temperature drops a few degrees.

I also have a thing for 3 or 4-day weekends...

fiveoboy01
07-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Oh good point, I never even considered all the stuff I do at home as part of my work day. I guess after 8-9 years I still think like an employee.

Bloody phone calls, designing flyers, printing bills.. trying to remember stuff, lol.

You ain't kidding. Administrative work sucks up a LOT of my "free time".

kandklandscape
07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
get up at 430am get home at 930-1130 daily except sunday. put in 110hours - 125 a week. 13-14 is nothing. alot of our guys get 65-80 hours a week. 80 being our busiest time of the year. 65 hours is normal for them, working 13-15 hours a day

barnard
07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Okay. Thanks for all your input.

I guess I'm a light-weight. I only work like 35 hours a week in the summer. And I would much rather do three 12-hour days than five 7-hour days.

This week for example, I didn't work yesterday.

Today, I got up at 5, got on the road at 6:30, started cutting at 7. Finished at 5. It was a light day. Then I welded a mower. Done at 6. Drank a couple beers.

Tomorrow I'm not working. It's a national holiday.

Thursday, weather permitting, I'm working a good solid 13 hour day, from 7 AM until 8 PM. I'll probably cut around 28 lawns by myself. No breaks, no lunch, just work straight through.

Friday, I'll do around 18 lawns, from 7 AM until 5 PM. Then I'm done for the week.

Saturday off. Sunday off.

Next week, I probably won't even work Monday. Why should I? I'm self employed. I can do whatever I want. I'll wait until Tuesday.

I like your style. Mine is very similar.And I never work holidays. I'm solo and it works for me.

coonman
07-04-2007, 09:27 PM
get up at 430am get home at 930-1130 daily except sunday. put in 110hours - 125 a week. 13-14 is nothing. alot of our guys get 65-80 hours a week. 80 being our busiest time of the year. 65 hours is normal for them, working 13-15 hours a day

I am sure you are making pretty good money, but who woud'nt working the equivalent to 3 full time jobs. Life is too short for that.

hess
07-04-2007, 09:39 PM
No holiday's here make hay while the sun shines!! 12 hours a day tuesday through friday. If you want to work let's work if you want to play go some where else.

Jpocket
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Gee some of you blokes need to stop and smell the roses and have a couple of beers, it does not matter which order you do it .:)

I couldn't agree more. I used to work ALTEAST 50-60 hours a week. Now we just barely break 40 once the summer sets in, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Life is too short not to stop and smell the roses

mow & snow
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM

I work 9 hours a day Monday - Saturday including Memorial Day, Labor Day and the fourth of July. I have enough days off from December - March!

Mark in MD
07-06-2007, 09:56 AM
I work 9 hours a day Monday - Saturday including Memorial Day, Labor Day and the fourth of July. I have enough days off from December - March!That's fine. But after you do that a few years, you realize the beach sucks December - March. So does camping. So do a lot of things. That's why I prefer to get it done in the minimum amount of days possible. :)

KTO Enterprises
07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
For all you married people on here saying you spend 10-14 hours a day working, please dont learn the same lesson my dad did.

My dad had 2 business. An auto repair facility, and a campground. He worked 7 to 5 at the shop, and once he got home he ate dinner and then went to the campground to work there until after dark. Weekends were spent at the campground too. He always told my mom "we need to save for now" and "one day" We always took a week vacation around christmas, but that was about it. Work the rest of the year.

Well mom died when I was 10 and he learned a really hard lesson. One that I learned from seeing his pain.

I will work a 70 to 80 hour week every now and then, but I dont make a habit of it. I work no more than 1 whole weekend per month and no more than 2 saturdays a month.

txgrassguy
07-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Discounting the impact that occurred in my area of operations from the unseasonably large amount of rain, I average about 52 hours per week throughout the year.
Unless it is absolutely mandated by circumstances I will not work in the field on Saturday or Sunday, however, I occasionally use Sunday late afternoon to early evening to catch up on paperwork in my office.
I have several crews and provided the work they are performing on Saturday is needed, usually I won't work them on the weekends.
Bear in mind our summer lasts easily 7 months of well above 100*F temperatures and full service grounds maintenance takes place all year long.
Not to mention the innumerable installs, irrigation systems, special projects that crop up all of the time.

ALarsh
07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
I put in a 13 hour day every Thursday w/ help (about 25 lawns). An 8 hour day Tuesday and 4-5 hour day wednesday. That is all I do for the week and it works well. I usually don't work Monday and Friday.:weightlifter:

ALBsun1
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Mark, if you are in maryland, how do you even have any work to do right now? I wish i could be working a 12 hour day now. Everything is brown and dead.

mow & snow
07-06-2007, 09:31 PM
That's fine. But after you do that a few years, you realize the beach sucks December - March. So does camping. So do a lot of things. That's why I prefer to get it done in the minimum amount of days possible. :)

Mark- my beach up here sucks year round. That's why I take vacations and go to Las Vegas and Miami in the winter! I promise that if I last 32 years in this business like you, I won't be working as much as I do now. :)

M.C.L.C.
07-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Man i would like to only work 8 hrs then call it quits, but cant see that happening. I have 5-6 residential mowing crews plus a commercial crew. They work from 7:00am till whenever they get done....never before 5, usually 6:30 to 7. here lately trying to catch up from rain they have been working from 6:45 till dark (9:30)!!! And i need to be at the office till they get done incase of an emergency. Are clients are set up to get mowed a curtain day every week, and don't always accept the excuse of "well it was hot and they got tired". So luckily for us our guys love hours, the more the better, guess they love the time and a half!

Mark in MD
07-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Mark, if you are in maryland, how do you even have any work to do right now? I wish i could be working a 12 hour day now. Everything is brown and dead.Shh. Not so loud. Somebody might hear you.

Seriously, we got some rain July 4th, remember? And a little July 5th too. I figure if it rained within the past nine days, I'm good to go. But this 98 degree heat is not helping matters. I hope it rains soon. If you look at the radar, there's a little rain in the mountains headed this way right now. Hope it hits us. Also, the chance of rain is 40% the next three days. :)

Mark- my beach up here sucks year round. That's why I take vacations and go to Las Vegas and Miami in the winter! I promise that if I last 32 years in this business like you, I won't be working as much as I do now. :)

Yeah, well, I used to go down to the keys in the winter, but then I got married.

I was fifteen in 1972. And I'm not retired yet, and the bills keep coming in. My house isn't paid for. And I'd really like to keep my new truck. And the kids are headed to college. So I guess I have to keep mowing.