PDA

View Full Version : Ky Bluegrass Sodded lawn - Help??

kybackpacker
08-28-2001, 01:52 PM
I have been living in my new house for 3 months now and the yard was sodded with Ky bluegrass. I was wondering what type of seed would be a good replacement for the bluegrass. The bluegrass just doesn't do well in the heat (90's pretty much all summer) and was thinking of powerseeding this fall. I was thinking of seeding with a tall fescue but was told it would not look good with the bluegrass still in place. Is there a seed that would eventually overrun the bluegrass and would be more heat resistant and strong? I currently fertilize using scott's annual program. If powerseeding is a bad idea...does anyone have any hints on how to improve what I have?? I am new to this and would love any help I can get.

Thanks
Corey Johnson
Louisville, KY

:eek:

Eric ELM
08-28-2001, 08:36 PM
Ky is the bluegrass state, so I thought you could grow it there. I've read that 3/4 of the bluegrass seed comes from South Dakota. It also gets very hot here in the summer, but if you give it water, it will grow fine. We just went through the worst dry spell that I can remember and when we got rain, the blue grass came back strong and is growing like crazy here right now.

fivestarlawnken
08-30-2001, 12:27 AM
Since you paid good money for sod, stay with the bluegrass seed. No reason to bring different seed to compete with the bluegrass.Give it time and very importantly give it water.If you can afford it,overseed this fall, or rent a slit seeder for better effect.What is the SCOTTS plan right now? To sum up practice proper mowing standards,water, and fert at the right time>:cool:

greenngrow
09-05-2001, 10:59 PM
Dear KYbackpacker,

Take it from a guy who lives in KY.

KY bluegrass is not the way to go. A overseeding with any turf type fescue will do just fine. You can go to the college of Agriculture. University of Kentucky web site. Look for turf grass trials. I don't have it in front of me or I would attach the site.
If you have no luck there you can contact the County Extension agent for Horticulture in Jefferson County.

As for the looks, the bluegrass will fade out in a matter of years.

The turf type fescue will look fine.

Stonehenge
09-06-2001, 05:35 PM
This is just a side note from me - it strikes me (as it appears it strikes others) as odd that Ky Bluegrasses don't do well in Ky. They are a staple in cooler areas like Michigan and Wisconsin (my main sod supplier's main crop is a blend of 5 Ky Blues).

greenngrow
09-12-2001, 10:30 PM
Stonehenge,

You ask a very good question. The hotter summers in Ky make very hard on the newer Bluegrasses.

KY 31 fescue has been the staple in the state. There has been a swing toward the Turf type tall fescues.

In central KY (where the horse farms are located ) They must have that KY bluegrass. But most is Fescue.