PDA

View Full Version : How many lawns per day?

AAR Lawn Services
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything so sorry if this is a repost.

How many lawns per day do you cut? How many in your crew? What is the average lawn size?

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
WE average 14-18 per day and will always have one commercial site to do too. Average size yards are 1/4 acre to 1 acre most have lots of trimming involed and are fenced yards. Each commercial site is from 1-4 acres with hills and lots of sidewalks. We work form 8-4 most of the time. Sometimes a little later but most of the time were done by 3. Its me and 3 other guys.

rodfather
07-02-2007, 06:17 PM
We take care of around 21M square feet a week.

AAR Lawn Services
07-02-2007, 06:26 PM
We take care of around 21M square feet a week.

Holy crap. Are they all big commercial accounts? That'd be like 380 1/4 acre yards a day. How many in your crew?

rodfather
07-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Holy crap. Are they all big commercial accounts? That'd be like 380 1/4 acre yards a day. How many in your crew?

3 man crews (2) with another one to help out when necessary. Some commercial, mostly residential ranging from 3 to 12 acre properties. Also in the mix is a 22 acre Christmas tree farm, 2 polo fields at 11 acres each mowed 2 times a week and a 52 acre school district.

But like I said, mostly residential (large estates).

T.E.
07-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Thurs. and Fri. around 25 to 30 averaged residential lawns. The other days are a mixed lot. Later, Tony

traman
07-02-2007, 07:13 PM
average 60 plus a week solo 7am to 3pm in this sauna of a state , today was a three shirt day :cry: :cry: :cry:

AAR Lawn Services
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
average 60 plus a week solo 7am to 3pm in this sauna of a state , today was a three shirt day :cry: :cry: :cry:

I like to sweat a little. :)

60 solo doesn't sound bad. I'm going to be working with one other. We're hoping to be able to do 100-150 a week. Does this sound reasonable?

traman
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
sure it can be done providing you and the helper have some exp.doing this ,it really depends on if you can work around our afternoon thunderstorms. thats the only thing that screws up my day being solo

AAR Lawn Services
07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
sure it can be done providing you and the helper have some exp.doing this ,it really depends on if you can work around our afternoon thunderstorms. thats the only thing that screws up my day being solo

Our experience is limited to having occasionally helped two other LCO's we know, but we're here to learn and obviously don't expect to gain that many clients right away. We also wouldnt mind working 5 1/2 or 6 day work weeks if necessary.

nobagger
07-02-2007, 08:31 PM
6 today!!!!!! lol we havent had rain in 2 months. I guess its not really funny.

cpel2004
07-02-2007, 08:59 PM
You guys that are banging out 15-20 yards per day does that include hedge trimming, bed spraying etc or is that just mowing?

D & J Lawn Care
07-02-2007, 09:04 PM
solo 12-14 a day 8am to 7.30 pm I got the weather doppler on my phone to see if i can wait out storms sundays a couple of banks and a plaza and thats full service hedge and all

mdlwn1
07-02-2007, 09:07 PM
We used to watch doppler also...nice to hear someone else is gung ho!

Sym
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
17-34 a day depending on the day...Monday by myself, I have help tuesday thru Friday. Mostly a mix bag of postage stamps to large properties, the largest if a five acre monster...the day we do 34 (tuesday) is all 1/4-1/3 acre cookie cutter houses. Right now is 110 yards total. about half of the yards are full service, meaning the beds, hedges etc. The rest are M,T,E,B and go.

2 people can do 100-150 a week if you are motivated and know what you are doing on each yard. We are at a point now where we barely even have to talk about each yard...we just go about our business.

I love the doppler!!!..got my mom (retired) and wife (home with 2 kids) on speed dial when I see the storm clouds!!!

Scagguy
07-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Right now we are working from 7:00 am until dark just trying to stay somewhat caught up because of all the rain we've had. We would have been in around 9:00 this evening if we hadn't got rained out an hour ago.

Grits
07-02-2007, 11:12 PM
The most I have done in a day is 15. Me and a helper. We knocked off about 5pm. I try to keep the routes to about 8-10 per day, just in case I lose the helper, I know I can still keep up. I service lots about 1/4 acre.
With a helper, doing 8-10 per day allows me to schedule landscape jobs.

privatelawn
07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
In 8 hours we do about 30 per day with me and 1 other guy, ive been in the biz only about 8 months, I figure the longer im in the biz the closer the homes we service will be to each other so hoping at some point 40 per day. 90% 1/8 acre 10% about 1/4 acre

EJD Lawnpride
07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
30/day for 4 days. Mondays are for projects.

nobagger
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Boy, it must just be my crappy part of the Country! Its taken me a good 2-3 years to build up the clients we service. I see some of you guys have only been in business under 1 year and you say your averaging 30 per day? Now I've turned down some lawns but not to the point it would be 30 a day. Thats great though if it is true.

LawnBrother
07-03-2007, 11:00 AM
I easily do 10-15 residential props a day solo depending on the route.

DSTC
07-04-2007, 12:06 AM
I can do about 4-5 Acres per day by myself with my 48" Walker. All mulch, no bag. Thats working from 8-4.

In my area that means about 6-10 yards depending on size. We have VERY few 1/4 acre properties around here. Avg yard size is 1/2 to 3/4 acres and I have plenty of 1-2 acre residential places.

KrayzKajun
07-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Same here(damn thunderstorms) On a day when it doesnt rain i can do about 14-15 yards(solo) start cutting at 8am finish about 5-6pm

cpel2004
07-08-2007, 06:10 AM
No Bagger, trust me some of these guys are streching the truth. It can be done but before I believe everything that is said i would have to validate it. I know how some people are. lol

Wyboo
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM
We ( 3 guys and myself) do about 200 patio homes a week which are 1/4 to a 1/2 acre a piece. We also cut 12 villas and an office. Run from 8 until 5 with an hour for lunch each day. Just bout a sickle bar mower which will eliminate the need for weed eating around the lake and save a few hours a week

DixieFerris
07-08-2007, 05:54 PM
In terms of our residentials (mostly around 1 acre lawns) we bang out with a 3 man crew (I have 2 3 person crews) about 30 a day. Last week the 2 crews (I head up one) knocked out 140 lawns in 3 days, 15 of which were commercial. We cut 170 properties per week with good weather, and we are always squeezing in landscapes on weekends, rainy days, etc

kmann
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM

60 solo doesn't sound bad. I'm going to be working with one other. We're hoping to be able to do 100-150 a week. Does this sound reasonable?

It depends on how far apart they are. If you get a bunch in a row and only drop the Gate once it saves alot of time. It also depends on how many Shrubs and how much trimming you need to do.

Zaro T Man
07-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I do about 6 to 8 per day and that is stretching it. About the smallest lawn I have is 1.5 acres. Out here in the sticks there is no such thing as a postage stamp lawn. The only small amounts of grass is the apartment buildings, but you have to count all of the grass together in those. Wish I could get into 20 or so a day.

drmiller100
07-09-2007, 02:35 AM
50 a day, one person. planned community, 8,000 square foot lots, leaves about 4,000 square feet of lawn, and we do them all.

coonman
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM

100 maybe....150 would be stretching it, unless you have an extremely tight route. My partner and I used to average 18 or so a day. But out of those 18, 3 -4 would need some hedge trimming. 1 would need some tree trimming and another would want a gutter cleanout. 3 or 4 others would involve talking to the customer which always slows you down. Factor in drive time and trimmer string and fueling the trimmers etc, lunch, water breaks. Maybe we did it different, but something always slowed us from banging them out non stop all day.

saw man
07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Have done 127 in a day with one other fellow.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-09-2007, 11:28 PM

How tight was the route and how many hours ?

coonman
07-10-2007, 12:50 AM

So you did around 13 lawns every hour for 10 hours straight. Yep, that sounds reasonable. I am currently trying to get each of my lawns down to 34 seconds per lawn. Stop truck, unload mower, start mower, turn mower off, load mower back in truck, walk to front door with bill, walk back to truck and drive off. currently this is taking 45 seconds but I'm working on it.

CrimsonLCS
07-10-2007, 12:57 AM
you should be able to average 30 yards a day. so if you are going for 150 a week you should have no problem. Good Luck to ya

saw man
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
So you did around 13 lawns every hour for 10 hours straight. Yep, that sounds reasonable. I am currently trying to get each of my lawns down to 34 seconds per lawn. Stop truck, unload mower, start mower, turn mower off, load mower back in truck, walk to front door with bill, walk back to truck and drive off. currently this is taking 45 seconds but I'm working on it.

I only drove to the community once, after that we never got back in the truck until we went home or out to lunch. Some lawns I could fit 2 lawn chairs on and thats it. My biggest mower was a 32" for that community and it wasnt used very often.

I have said it before, EVERY area is different!! Not one answer will fit everyone.

rodfather
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I only drove to the community once, after that we never got back in the truck until we went home or out to lunch. Some lawns I could fit 2 lawn chairs on and thats it. My biggest mower was a 32" for that community and it wasnt used very often.

I have said it before, EVERY area is different!! Not one answer will fit everyone.

I got throw rugs that are bigger :laugh:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I got throw rugs that are bigger :laugh:

How much to mow a throw rug Rod :laugh:

coonman
07-10-2007, 06:12 PM

Exactly. Every area is different, this thread was discussing how many lawns people do everyday. Safe to say most people were talking about 1/8 acre or larger. The area you mowed that day sounds about as different as different can be. Why didn't you say you mowed 127 yards and most of them were no larger than a walk-in closet.:dizzy:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
07-10-2007, 06:18 PM
I didnt know a thorw rug was considered a yard at all

rodfather
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
How much to mow a throw rug Rod :laugh:

chaeper to throw out and replace T :laugh:

saw man
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Exactly. Every area is different, this thread was discussing how many lawns people do everyday. Safe to say most people were talking about 1/8 acre or larger. The area you mowed that day sounds about as different as different can be. Why didn't you say you mowed 127 yards and most of them were no larger than a walk-in closet.:dizzy:

Because I have said it here many times before. The houses sit on 1/4 acre lots with mostly rockscaping. I didnt know I had to explain every time I posted? If someone who didnt know wanted to know then they could ask. Someone asked a question and I answered it, didnt know it was such a big deal to you.

I also got $75k a year to mow and trim that community. Anything else you would like to know.

coonman
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Because I have said it here many times before. The houses sit on 1/4 acre lots with mostly rockscaping. I didnt know I had to explain every time I posted? If someone who didnt know wanted to know then they could ask. Someone asked a question and I answered it, didnt know it was such a big deal to you.

I also got $75k a year to mow and trim that community. Anything else you would like to know.

What do you think? Everyone is posting 15-20 lawns solo to 30-60 with 2 to 3 man crews. Then you post the two of you did 127????? Yes, I think that may of needed a little explanation behind it. I don't believe I am the only one, someone else asked you about how tight your route was because I am sure they were just a little curious about how 2 people do 127 lawns in one day.

No, there is nothing else I would like to know.

avjohnson
07-10-2007, 08:01 PM
coonman you're really funny, I'm dying here...

saw man
07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
What do you think? Everyone is posting 15-20 lawns solo to 30-60 with 2 to 3 man crews. Then you post the two of you did 127????? Yes, I think that may of needed a little explanation behind it. I don't believe I am the only one, someone else asked you about how tight your route was because I am sure they were just a little curious about how 2 people do 127 lawns in one day.

No, there is nothing else I would like to know.

One guy asked how tight my route was he dint act like an a$$.
Like I said, I have posted it many times before and someone with half a brain would have figured it was a community and that I wasnt driving 10 min. to another house.

Next time I post in a thread I will make sure to post cliff notes at the bottom to explain everything like I am talking to a 2 year old.

Cliff Notes: Coonboy needs to slooowwww down and think before he posts, maybe even ask your mom to translate for you.:hammerhead: :drinkup:

coonman
07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
One guy asked how tight my route was he dint act like an a$$.
Like I said, I have posted it many times before and someone with half a brain would have figured it was a community and that I wasnt driving 10 min. to another house.

Next time I post in a thread I will make sure to post cliff notes at the bottom to explain everything like I am talking to a 2 year old.

Cliff Notes: Coonboy needs to slooowwww down and think before he posts, maybe even ask your mom to translate for you.:hammerhead: :drinkup:

Let me give you an example. People talking about a marathon 26 miles. Joe says he ran it in 4hours, John says 3.30, Rick says 4.20. And then I post, I RAN IT 45 min. And don't post another word. Do you not think an explanation would be in order? I don't care what you posted in the past, I did not read those posts about your lawns . You have it backwards, anyone with half a brain that posts something like that should realize that some specifics may be warranted. Next time I am in a thread, where people are talking about what type of equipment they use, I think I will pop in with, "I use lawn equipment" no reason to get specific.

GraZZmaZter
07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
28/wk.

Solo on mon and wed. help on thurs and fri.

1 52" lazer - helper trims/edges...

Just getting back into the swing of things this year after shutting everything down in 2004 --- worked a shop job and mowed a few res. We had Madison in April that year, so i thought GM was a more secure future. Turns out alot of folks in the shop are blew away on drugs and that wasnt the enviroment i was willing to be in for the next 30 years. I Decided Madison needed a happy Daddy more than one annoyed all the time with his job and last year decided to make the final go at it and things are really taking off for us.

Note : We are also in Flint, MI where everyone is heading out of state because of no work and a poor economy.

But folks have been good to us and like the work we do, so its really looking up this year.

I more than doubled mowing from last year, but am concentrating more on hardscaping this year and i am getting somewhat picky on what we mow.

Next year will be two crews right off the bat....

Crew 1 - (2) on lawn maintenance. Cleanups, dethatching, aerating, etc...

Crew 2 - (2) on landscaping,hardscaping,pruning,etc...

I have another truck and mower (in repair) so im already gearing up for next spring.

Will be pushing a little snow this winter also.

Just taking er' a little slower this time out and it seems to be paying off better this time around.....

Shep