PDA

View Full Version : Honda HR214

hr214_boy
07-02-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a self propelled Honda HR214 mower. When I engage the self propel, it hesitates for a few seconds. What could this be? I replaced the belt. If it is a problem with the tranny, could I fix it?

Restrorob
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Pull the rear wheels and check the ratchet assemblies, They could be sticking from grass/dirt build-up.

hr214_boy
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Ratchet assemblies? Sorry, i'm a newbie. I do have mechanical experience, but I don't know what ratchet assemblies are. THANKS!

Bill Kapaun
07-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Is this an HR-214 or an HRA-214?

Restrorob
07-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Bill, On my parts break-down the drive/wheel components are the same on HR-194/HR-214 and HRA-214 ......

#1 is called a Ratchet, A hub with two dogs and a spring ring.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Honda214WheelAssy.jpg

hr214_boy
07-05-2007, 10:56 PM
OK, well I actually don't have it, I'm looking to buy it. I didn't experience the tranny problem until today. When the self propel is engaged, the mower lightly "jerks" and you hear a "click, click, click...". When you start to push the mower, the self propel finally takes over and works mostly fine. ALSO: When the mower is first started up, it smokes blue smoke, and surges for 10 seconds. After about 10 seconds, the surging stops and it smokes lightly. When I engage the blade, it stops smoking! What's the problem? Rings? Valve seals? Carb adjustment? Is this mower worth buying? He's asking $45, but with these problems, $35 seems better... Thanks!

Restrorob
07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Could be all the above mentioned, Move on and find something else.

Bill Kapaun
07-06-2007, 01:42 AM
A few seconds of start up smoke is very common on these mowers.
Mine has been doing it since it was 3-4 years old, or about 15 years. Keeping the oil about 1/16" below the full mark seems to alleviate most of that.
IF the oil is noticeably over the full mark, I could see the engine smoking longer than just a few seconds.
Surging- IF the choke is on when you start it, it may do what you call "surging" if you either leave it on too long or take it off too soon.
Most likely, if you cleaned out the Drive Ratchets like Rob suggested, they would be fine.

The fact that-
First you have it and replace the belt and now you don't have it, but are looking to buy.
You didn't experience the tranny problem until today, but you mention them 3 days ago-
Makes me wonder what else you are telling us that we shouldn't believe!

You should'nt expect help if you can't keep your story straight!

hr214_boy
07-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah, sorry. I'm not one for lying online, again, I'm sorry! That aside, according to the current owner, the belt was recently replaced. When I said that I didn't experience the tranny problem until today, I meant that 3 days ago, I was just told about it. Then, I actually went out to "test" the mower Thursday, and in first person experienced it. I really like Hondas, and I am just trying to figure out if it will last at least a year, if I can fix the tranny problem and if it is worth buying. What do you think a reasonable price is?