PDA

View Full Version : Lowballed!

kevinlane
07-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Alright time to vent. I had a busy week. I got some calls to do some estimates, had a few cleanout jobs and my weekly maintenance accounts. So I get this one guy that has 2 rental properties. He says he was thinking $20 per mow for each at bi-weekly. I tell him my min is $30 and the first one, if overgrown will be a little more. He says ok fine. I tell him I will call him back after I look at the properties. So in between bustin my As#, I run over to look at the properties yesterday...yeah friggin Sunday. 1 is knee-high, the other full of obstacles. So I call the guy back this am and leave him a message. He calls back, tells me he had another lc out this am and he won't be taking my service. I'm thinking...hmmm. He also adds they are doing the properties for $20 a mow.....I wanted to belt out laughing. I've seen this lc adverise on Craig's list, "Most lawns $20." What in the hell is that? That doesn't even pay for the trip. $20? No way am I going to do any lawn for that, except for a buddy or something. I just don't know how to handle these people, after being lowballed like that. Very frustrating, since I just started my business like 3 months ago. I need the biz, but I hate wasting my time and gas if these people are bargain-hunting. Anyone else have this happen...frequently? Especially you local guys. Hopefully it isn't a lawnsite member...ROFL...
:angry:

whiteslawnservices
07-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I hear guys fussen over 20-30.00 i wouldnt get my mower off the truck unless the houses are side by side and at least 5-50 houses dont charge 20-30 .00 maybe if you a school kid maken extra money but if your in business your spending 25.00 in gas wear and tear and oil and breath only maken 30.00 tell your customers you charge a min of 60.00 - 80.00 most of them that will actualy pay you when your done respect that they have more respect in your price for one thing and at 2.80-3.00 per gallon of gas your making 10.00 per yard? you spent 10.00 in gas in your truck getting there?:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: why

IndustrialGreen
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
You will find that in this business, or practically any other, that the lowballer and the lowball customer deserve richly deserve each other. We do our best to prequalify people before doing estimates, but we still go out on a few pointless calls. Its part of the gig. The trick is to quickly and politely extricate yourself and move on to what pays.

Acknowledge, and move on.

sheshovel
07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
You don't need that kind of biz. Don't worry about it happens all the time. It's just part of this business. You were not lowballed really unless the guy knew your price and purposely went in there and undercut you to get the work. If he is advertising most lawns 20.00, thats not lowballing you.

TMAC669
07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Man Get Over The Low-ballers And The Low Baller Customers, You Are Better Off Without Them. Find Some Good Customers With Decent Lawns And You Will Be Just Fine.

bohiaa
07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I hear guys fussen over 20-30.00 i wouldnt get my mower off the truck unless the houses are side by side and at least 5-50 houses dont charge 20-30 .00 maybe if you a school kid maken extra money but if your in business your spending 25.00 in gas wear and tear and oil and breath only maken 30.00 tell your customers you charge a min of 60.00 - 80.00 most of them that will actualy pay you when your done respect that they have more respect in your price for one thing and at 2.80-3.00 per gallon of gas your making 10.00 per yard? you spent 10.00 in gas in your truck getting there?:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: why

I'm with him.............I mean Damn man..

I wont unload for under 45.00 I mean I cant do it...

so whos the lowballer here ?

Hummmmmmmm

kevinlane
07-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm with him.............I mean Damn man..

I wont unload for under 45.00 I mean I cant do it...

so whos the lowballer here ?

Hummmmmmmm

$30 min is for very small yards when the customer has more than one propertiey. Just to clear that up. I quoted $50 for the bigger size, $30 for the small property only because they were close together and its smaller than the size of my kitchen, and another co is doing for $20.... Cust told me another co is doing for less, $20 per mow. But whatever I'm done with the issue, there will be more leads. Doin ok so far, I get calls everyday now. This dude will call back and I'll say, naaah that's ok. LOL I can't wait to do that.....

kevinlane
07-02-2007, 09:28 PM
You will find that in this business, or practically any other, that the lowballer and the lowball customer deserve richly deserve each other. We do our best to prequalify people before doing estimates, but we still go out on a few pointless calls. Its part of the gig. The trick is to quickly and politely extricate yourself and move on to what pays.

Acknowledge, and move on.

Excellent point....thanks I like that.

Patriot Services
07-03-2007, 09:05 AM
I will pass on what I learned in 12 years of business in this area. If you are doing residential do not take on rentals, tenants and landlords are always the cheapest. Stay away from scrubby properties and " on call " customers. Don't be a mow-joe. The best customers have nice yards and want full service and are willing to pay for it. Half of my customers have been with me for years and gladly pay 140-160 a month for 1/4 acre homesite lawns. Be patient and the good ones will call. All the wannabes are wilting in the heat now, great buys on a slightly used equipment.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

stevenf
07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I dont have a minimum, Havent found a use for one yet. Four of my yards are on the same street. I charge this guy $25.00 a cut because he wants it cut weekly and takes MABEY 10 minutes( 4 mower passes).

On the other hand since we are talking about cheap people. This one lady that I have, Makes me wonder about her sanity at times. I gave her an estimate of $45.00 biweekly cut on her lawn. she then went off on how Mike does it for $30.00 and we cant afford this and bla bla..... Well, she wasnt budging, So I said $35.00 bi weekly because I was desperate for the yard are the time. I cut her yard, 12 days later I get a phone call. "my yard looks horrible because you didnt cut it low enough". Being the noob that I am and thinking that customer satisfaction is ALWAYS the first priority, I agreed to cut it the day before the schedualed date. It took me an hour and a half to finish. I then told myself that this $hit is rediculous and If the yard was this tall next cut, I am raising the price to $50.00 or dropping her. After I cut, She says " your not going to mulch the piles of leaves in the back? They look bad"... I said NOPE!, if you want that done its $50.00( with a smile)..lol

kevinlane
07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
LOL, sweet. I picked another account today. Yearly service. So I'm getting there. Thanks all the input, bruthas.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-04-2007, 02:11 AM
they are doing the properties for $20 a mow.....I wanted to belt out laughing. I've seen this lc adverise on Craig's list, "Most lawns $20." What in the hell is that? That doesn't even pay for the trip. $20? No way am I going to do any lawn for that, except for a buddy or something.

I've seen that ad myself. I try to stay competitive with pricing but I never advertise any flat price whatsoever because you never know what kind of obstacles you might run into after the phone call.

This ad is even worse.....and yes, this is a REAL ad.

Lawn Service- you set the day and price!

I own a small lawn company and am just getting started. I need more lawns in the area and am willing to let you pick how often you want your lawn done and will let you tell me what you are willing to pay before i start demanding prices. I do many yards for out of state home owners or people moving in to a new home. If you are in need of a lawn service or unhappy with your current provider, give me a try- you will be happy you did.

PostingID: 365445251

kevinlane
07-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Sounds like a friggin joke or some punk kid. Geez. LOL You set the price? What is that? Yeah I saw this on craig's list, I gonna call have em do my lawn, I'm too busy. ROFL

Midwest Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 03:17 AM
I will pass on what I learned in 12 years of business in this area. If you are doing residential do not take on rentals, tenants and landlords are always the cheapest. Stay away from scrubby properties and " on call " customers. Don't be a mow-joe. The best customers have nice yards and want full service and are willing to pay for it. Half of my customers have been with me for years and gladly pay 140-160 a month for 1/4 acre homesite lawns. Be patient and the good ones will call. All the wannabes are wilting in the heat now, great buys on a slightly used equipment.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Well I couldn't have said it better! There are always going to be tire kickers, just blow them off and focus on the serious clients.

Desoto_Lawn_Care
07-06-2007, 04:37 PM
I ran a special in my own neighborhood @ 20 a week for weekly service ONLY, not biweekly or on-call and a referral program to my neighbors, just because the competition is so high around here and it costs very little in gas for me. Believe it or not, there are guys around here doing it for 15 a yard and for 20-25 biweekly. I will not do any more "on-call" cheapskates anymore. After I mowed one customers yard, he told me that he told his previous LCO to go to hell because they refused to mow "on-call" and then he said I can expect a call from him "3 or 4 times a year." So I told him it's at least biweekly for my same weekly rate or it's gonna be 100 a cut.

Yeah, this clown will be on my doorstep begging on hand and foot a month from now when the HOA sends him a warning notice. :laugh:

Patriot Services
07-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Desoto! did I not tell you so:nono: . I bet the LCO was the one that told him to go to hell! Keep pluggin buddy, it will happen. Perseverance will win in the end. On the bright side people like that do make for a good laugh.:laugh: :usflag: :laugh:

Turf Professionals Inc.
07-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I am not doing any of that "on call" crap either. I certainly do not care what others are charging for services. I am confident in my pricing and I am running a legitament business. I would rather go somewhere and make someone else money before I lower myself to 7 dollars and hour. We gotta make a dang living too!

Chilehead
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Lowballers Are A Major Inconvenience. They Bid Themselves Out Of Work And Only Get In The Way Of The Real "lawn Pros". Around Here, Every Single Lowballer Is Some Stinkin Illegal Alien. Ship 'em Back To Mexico And Shoot 'em If They Try To Re-enter The U.s. Period.

kevinlane
07-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Lowballers Are A Major Inconvenience. They Bid Themselves Out Of Work And Only Get In The Way Of The Real "lawn Pros". Around Here, Every Single Lowballer Is Some Stinkin Illegal Alien. Ship 'em Back To Mexico And Shoot 'em If They Try To Re-enter The U.s. Period.

LOL! :usflag:

hess
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Low ballers make money too!!

kevinlane
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Low ballers make money too!!

Hmmm..... naw I'm gonna leave that alone....lol. *trucewhiteflag*