PDA

View Full Version : New trailer and have questions...

green-pa
07-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Just bought a trailer. Looks like a standard metal trailer but with wood boards on the bottom. New they are about $800 I got this one used for $525It has a lotta rust on the underside and some on the ramp/gate, but nothing that I didn't think any primer or rust remover couldn't take care of. I was wondering though, is it normal for an empty trailer to bounce up and down some; making your truck ride much more bouncy than normal? After a while of going down the streets on the way home with it I figured I'd strap my 21 inch on it to give it a little weight even though it wasn't much. It seemed to help make it much less noisy and bounce less, but the mower then bounced around. Maybe I shoulda used 2 straps and not just one on it. But is this normal for a trailer to be bouncy without a load? I'm hoping when I put my 450 lb scag wb in it, that it will stabalize it much more and not shake me up and down so much in the truck.

Also, is there such thing as a "trailer tune up"? I'd like to take it in to have it checked for safety and things as it could be several years old. The guy told me it's only 1 year old, but I don't think so.

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Once weight is placed in the trailer, that should help it from bouncing. Just check your speed and your load. Don't want to have the load too far to the front or too far to the back. Distribute it evenly.

As far as trailer tune up, I would make sure the wheel bearings are greased and I imagine if it's a small trailer, then there are no trailer brakes. Sorry I can't help you out more regarding your question!

Supper Grassy
07-02-2007, 09:10 PM
GOOD MOVE! hope your purchess works out, i wanna see some pics

Grits
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Congrats you cheap fool.:laugh: You will be a happy camper with that trailer and Scag. Now go get lots of accounts so you can make that Scag payment.

green-pa
07-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Congrats you cheap fool.:laugh: You will be a happy camper with that trailer and Scag. Now go get lots of accounts so you can make that Scag payment.

Heh, a penny saved is a penny earned! Yeah, I'm going to be out there doing flyers again for the first time in months! I'm also going to push referals with letters to all my customers. THanks Grits!

green-pa
07-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Once weight is placed in the trailer, that should help it from bouncing. Just check your speed and your load. Don't want to have the load too far to the front or too far to the back. Distribute it evenly.

As far as trailer tune up, I would make sure the wheel bearings are greased and I imagine if it's a small trailer, then there are no trailer brakes. Sorry I can't help you out more regarding your question!

Thanks Lohse. I kinda figured that. But anyone know is there a certain kind of grease to use? I sprayed some wd40 on the wheels/axel to help a bit but not sure if that was good to do or not.

Is rust on the bottom of the trailer a factor? Should I treat it with rustoleum or something or just touch up the upper parts that are visable?

mcwlandscaping
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Do whatever you can to get rid of rust and/or to at least keep it from getting worse. Once that frame rots, its dangerous to be using it. As far as the size, i'm assuming you have already filled the thing up pretty good with the 36 and the 21, even more if you are putting gas cans and handhelds on there as well! Good luck with it!!

Lohse's Lawn Service
07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks Lohse. I kinda figured that. But anyone know is there a certain kind of grease to use? I sprayed some wd40 on the wheels/axel to help a bit but not sure if that was good to do or not.

Is rust on the bottom of the trailer a factor? Should I treat it with rustoleum or something or just touch up the upper parts that are visable?

I believe wheel bearing grease is what you need to use. It's for very hot temperatures, caused by constant friction and pressure. You can find it at Wal-mart.

Mark in MD
07-03-2007, 11:02 PM
A trailer is not like a truck, it doesn't have shock absorbers. Just springs. So, yeah, it will bounce a lot. It's normal. Go over bumps slowly.

Midwest Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Have you checked your tire pressure?

mike lane lawn care
07-04-2007, 01:23 PM
check to see if the tongue is tight to the frame, on my trailer it is held on with 2 bolts, they became loose from bouncing around empty, and caused some unpleasant ride in the truck. you may also want to consider adding a helper leaf spring to the truck, or possible air bags if the bounce is severe.