PDA

View Full Version : Poison Ivy!

green-pa
07-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I thought I had an imunity against it but Saturday I cut down and removed several bags full of apparently poison Ivy or Poison oak. I felt fine that evening but then next night I started itching and the more I itched the more it broke out over my forearms and lower legs. That didn't bother me too much, but early this morning after scratching my face a little, It's swollen there and feels like my skin is scrunching near my eyes. I can see fine and amm not in any pain. But it feels uncomfortable and I'm wondering how far do u let it go before u see a doc? I'm breathing ok and it only itches mildly so is that a sign that it should go away in a few days? How do u know if it's getting too bad? And any tips on recognizing it?

Also, will regular round up totally kill it or do u need specialized "ivy killing round up"? And how long 'til it kills it to where it can be handled safely?

green-pa
07-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Another question: If u itch it, does that spread or make the infection worse?

grandview (2006)
07-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the club. Go to the doc and get some cream for it. I think it also stays in your system for awhile.:cool2:

jknowles4
07-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Poison ivy plants have an oil that contacts your skin and causes a rash. Once the oil is washed off you cannot spread it on other areas of your body. Make sure you wash the clothes you were wearing and clean out your truck and anything else you might have touched (so you don't get it again). Also, don't wait too long to go to the Dr. if you need to. I waited too long a few weeks ago and was miserable. I got a shot from the Dr. and the itching and swelling started to go away in a few hours.

green-pa
07-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Poison ivy plants have an oil that contacts your skin and causes a rash. Once the oil is washed off you cannot spread it on other areas of your body. Make sure you wash the clothes you were wearing and clean out your truck and anything else you might have touched (so you don't get it again). Also, don't wait too long to go to the Dr. if you need to. I waited too long a few weeks ago and was miserable. I got a shot from the Dr. and the itching and swelling started to go away in a few hours.

Yeah, but how much did that cost u?

Drew Gemma
07-02-2007, 11:09 PM
technu sp? or ivy block if you know you gonna get in it coat yourself in it then dress and work go home wash everything and you will be good

green-pa
07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
technu sp? or ivy block if you know you gonna get in it coat yourself in it then dress and work go home wash everything and you will be good

And where would I find this stuff? Dicks sporting goods or a hardware store?

GravyTrain
07-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I can't speak about the poison ivy, but I can tell you that in arkansas at least, applying any herbicide/pesticide (round-up included) is against regulations. You are required to have a special permit requiring many hours of studying, anywhere from $100-$200 in testing feeds and even after that, they say there is only about a 50% pass rate. In other words...I wouldn't apply the round up unless you have the permit.

MeadowsLawnCare
07-03-2007, 01:35 AM
Poison ivy wont spread due to itching. You will break out in some spots first, then up to several days later you can break out in other spots. It usually takes 2 weeks to run its course. I had it when i was a little kid all over my face and my mom took me to a private doctor (non ER) and it cost around $150 total. Make sure you wash the clothes and your truck, the oil from the ivy soaks in and that will spread it.

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 02:14 AM
This will probably sound odd but I hear using a hair dryer on the skin affected can help drive out the oil - pat sweaty area with a towel. Someone we know was told this at an ER. Apparently it worked better than the cream. It hurts a bit a first then greatly improves. Repeat if needed.
:weightlifter:

YMMV

racer56
07-03-2007, 04:22 AM
Up right now itching the dang stuff myself. Go get Burts Bees poison ivy soap. Seems to help alot. My son and I have spent close to 300.00 trying to get rid of the stuff at the doctor and anything else we can run across. I'd pay 2k not to itch another second but my dr. is an .... and could care less if I live or die. I won't get started on the dr thing right now so I can keep my bp down. Tecnu will work as well.
Normally I can spot that stuff a mile away but guess I just missed it this time. Cole shower and that Burts soap will stop the itch for abit.

Lawn_Boy
07-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Not trying to jack your thread, but I have a poisin ivy related question:

Can you experience after effects of poisin ivy, after the intial areas have cleared up? Its been atleast 3-4 weeks since mine went away, but sometimes I experience an itch and it leads to a temporary raised rash in some areas. :confused:

green-pa
07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
This will probably sound odd but I hear using a hair dryer on the skin affected can help drive out the oil - pat sweaty area with a towel. Someone we know was told this at an ER. Apparently it worked better than the cream. It hurts a bit a first then greatly improves. Repeat if needed.
:weightlifter:

YMMV

But would this work even several days AFTER exposure? I'm on my 4th day now, as contact was made Saturday ( and heavy contact I may add).

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Just one of the many I found @ http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=hair+dryer+poison+ivy&btnG=Search

Hair Dryer
When you get to that point where you have the strongest desire to itch get a hair dryer. Point the dryer on high at the desired spot and hold there. Hold the dryer on that one spot as long as you can. You will feel a sharp pain--don't exceed a minute. Repeat 3-4 times. The itching goes away and the rash dries out at the same time. Rob Hartman Granville,OH
--Rob Hartman (robbyhartman@NOSPAMyahoo.com) submitted 27/Jul/2001
Hi - The hair dryer is the hands-down best method for getting rid of the itch. I have been using it every morning when I wake up and every evening before going to sleep. It provides immense relief from the itching afterwards and it feels so good on the rash.
--"Kim" (kimarie_pike@NOSPAMhotmail.com) submitted 1/Apr/2002

I tryed the hair dryer method and I think it is the best and only method that anyone that has poison ivy should try. After just first initial blast of hot air it mad my itch stop. I would recommend this to anyone who just can't take the itch any longer.
--"Amy" (bmgilu@NOSPAMyahoo.com) submitted 1/May/2003

I am so glad I found this web site. *Thank you* for the blow dryer idea! It was a lifesaver. I used the blow dryer method, and got complete relief from the itch. Benadryl also worked, and I took it consistently which kept the inflammation and itch down a bit. I also used the air to dry out the blisters that were oozing. I noticed that alcohol also helped dry it out. It appeared on my face first, and I thought I was just getting acne. I used Clearisil on my face, and it helped dry the blisters up.
--"Diane" (dserra@NOSPAMrochester.rr.com) submitted 4/Jul/2003

[Top]

green-pa
07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
What about Ibuprofen? I used some earlier and it seemed like I felt a bit better at least 'til it wore off; lasted about 3 hours.

green-pa
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Just one of the many I found @ http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=hair+dryer+poison+ivy&btnG=Search

Hair Dryer
When you get to that point where you have the strongest desire to itch get a hair dryer. Point the dryer on high at the desired spot and hold there. Hold the dryer on that one spot as long as you can. You will feel a sharp pain--don't exceed a minute. Repeat 3-4 times. The itching goes away and the rash dries out at the same time. Rob Hartman Granville,OH
--Rob Hartman (robbyhartman@NOSPAMyahoo.com) submitted 27/Jul/2001
Hi - The hair dryer is the hands-down best method for getting rid of the itch. I have been using it every morning when I wake up and every evening before going to sleep. It provides immense relief from the itching afterwards and it feels so good on the rash.
--"Kim" (kimarie_pike@NOSPAMhotmail.com) submitted 1/Apr/2002

I tryed the hair dryer method and I think it is the best and only method that anyone that has poison ivy should try. After just first initial blast of hot air it mad my itch stop. I would recommend this to anyone who just can't take the itch any longer.
--"Amy" (bmgilu@NOSPAMyahoo.com) submitted 1/May/2003

I am so glad I found this web site. *Thank you* for the blow dryer idea! It was a lifesaver. I used the blow dryer method, and got complete relief from the itch. Benadryl also worked, and I took it consistently which kept the inflammation and itch down a bit. I also used the air to dry out the blisters that were oozing. I noticed that alcohol also helped dry it out. It appeared on my face first, and I thought I was just getting acne. I used Clearisil on my face, and it helped dry the blisters up.
--"Diane" (dserra@NOSPAMrochester.rr.com) submitted 4/Jul/2003

[Top]

So does this remove the poison from your skin by heating it up or? I've been using very hot water in a wash cloth and pressing it for several seconds on my face. It tingles at times and seems to itch but maybe it's good. At least that's what it said in this nutritional book to do.

Supper Grassy
07-03-2007, 10:31 PM
think about seeing a doctor if the other remidys dont work, you dont want to be in the ER with PI in your eyes

green-pa
07-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I just tried the blow dryer on the forearms which itched. It's like it itches them without scratching. However, I'm not sure if that really helps. I'm hoping it will speed up healing. I don't itch to bad most of the time, but when it starts itching and I scratch, it beckons me to scratch more and it's just more and more breakouts.

Cathman
07-04-2007, 01:37 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118281532052547766-search.html?KEYWORDS=poison+ivy&COLLECTION=wsjie/6month

Found this article....scheck it out.

elrojo63
07-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I can't say much about how to get rid of poison ivy being I'm not allergic:laugh: , but one thing i know my dad did since he was allergic was getting into a pool. It can't be a chlorine filled pool. That won't work. It must be something like Baquacil or some other pool chemical that is like a detergent.

As for getting rid of poison ivy. Bayer advanced brush killer, sold at lowes. Works great $13 a gallon. Spray it on and it's dead in a week. It says you shouldnt handle for a while after killing it but at least you know it's dead.

PatriotLandscape
07-04-2007, 05:47 PM
you need pregnazone (sp?) it is a steroid that will move it through your system. not very expensive because there are plenty of generics available.

green-pa
07-05-2007, 11:09 PM
you need pregnazone (sp?) it is a steroid that will move it through your system. not very expensive because there are plenty of generics available.

Is there a way to get a prescription for that without having to see a doc and spend $100+ just for him to tell u "yep, that's poison Ivy"?

Also, I've used the hair dryer method, when it starts itching. It feels euphoric after a few seconds. However, I'm wondering if this may be killing my skin at the same time or going to cause scaring. I've read in the post above that it drives out the poisonous oils from your skin. Is this true?

I'm 5 days into it and although the swelling has went down on my face, the rashes, blisters, and itching has spread to my upper arms, upper legs and ankles, stomach, and neck. I'm just wondering how much longer I'm going to have to put up with this hell. If it would be another week, then I'd rather pay $150-200 for the shot or pills. But do they work 100% of the time?

Greenery
07-05-2007, 11:20 PM
I had it pretty bad recently i went to the doctor and got some prednazon (not sure how to spell that) it helped with the swelling and possibly a little with the itching.it usually lasts 2 to 3 weeks when i get it although its been about a month and it still gets itchy wherever i had it real bad. the best thing i found was at target i forget hte name but it didnt use cortisone as the active ingredient i dont know what it was but it definitely worked better than cortisone expensive though $30 for some soap and a spray bottle of itch relief

Vikings
07-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Doesn't your health insurance even cover a simply visit to the Doctor?

wooley99
07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Green-pa,

I hope you're doing better and although you will probably survive with no lasting injury you may really want to have a Doc check you out. Click the link and call for quotes. Some of the immediate care places are a little more affordable. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=text&q=medical+immediate+care&near=Indianapolis%2C+IN&btnG=Search+Businesses

Or you can check this out.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/cures.html

Hang in there,

SPENCER HUNTER
07-05-2007, 11:57 PM
that pink stuff,,, calamine lotion it works pretty good it helps to dry up those nasty sores,, it is sold over the counter less than 10 bucks

green-pa
07-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Green-pa,

I hope you're doing better and although you will probably survive with no lasting injury you may really want to have a Doc check you out. Click the link and call for quotes. Some of the immediate care places are a little more affordable. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&view=text&q=medical+immediate+care&near=Indianapolis%2C+IN&btnG=Search+Businesses

Or you can check this out.

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/cures.html

Hang in there,

Thanks Wooley! :)

firefightergw
07-06-2007, 03:03 AM
I've got a bad case of it now too. The best thing that I have tried and it's what I am doing now is to pat gasoline or diesel on it. This loosens the oil that is what we are allergic too. Immediately take a hot shower. Be careful in the shower. If you've got it on your arms, etc, watch where gravity takes the water or you may have more problems than you want. After you do this, do it again the next day. After that just run as hot of water as you can stand on it each time you take a shower. Talking about euphoric. It will feel so good that you might want to get it again. It's going to take about 10 days to run its course but it is a lot cheaper than going to the Dr. By the way, don't scratch it. It will feel good but will make it itch worse when you stop.

green-pa
07-06-2007, 03:19 AM
I've got a bad case of it now too. The best thing that I have tried and it's what I am doing now is to pat gasoline or diesel on it. This loosens the oil that is what we are allergic too. Immediately take a hot shower. Be careful in the shower. If you've got it on your arms, etc, watch where gravity takes the water or you may have more problems than you want. After you do this, do it again the next day. After that just run as hot of water as you can stand on it each time you take a shower. Talking about euphoric. It will feel so good that you might want to get it again. It's going to take about 10 days to run its course but it is a lot cheaper than going to the Dr. By the way, don't scratch it. It will feel good but will make it itch worse when you stop.

Will Gasoline really work? Do u know of any side effects of doing this to your skin though? I've heard that if u don't do anything it will go away in about 8-10 days anyway. I'm on day 6 now. At least my face isn't so swollen. Now it's mainly on my arms, lower legs, and stomach. I think I need to wash my truck seat cause just today I feel it on my back too which is new.

Runner
07-06-2007, 04:20 AM
Do not put gasoline on your skin...especially at this time for you. The concept of the gasoline is logical, because it would work as an astringent when the oil is forst applied to the skin. Just a good washing and perhaps alcohol would do at first. In your case, at this point, get yourself some calamine lotion to take the itch away. In the future, there are over the counter products that work very well. One product, - Ivy-Dry, is one of the most common. This has liniments to bring out the oils, and ingredients to bring out the itch, as well.

Nosmo
07-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Get a bottle of Solarcaine besides the Aloe Vera it has other additives that will soothe that itching.

green-pa
07-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Do not put gasoline on your skin...especially at this time for you. The concept of the gasoline is logical, because it would work as an astringent when the oil is forst applied to the skin. Just a good washing and perhaps alcohol would do at first. In your case, at this point, get yourself some calamine lotion to take the itch away. In the future, there are over the counter products that work very well. One product, - Ivy-Dry, is one of the most common. This has liniments to bring out the oils, and ingredients to bring out the itch, as well.

Thanks Runner! I'm going to have to print this stuff out!

microcosm
07-07-2007, 09:00 PM
'Tecnu Extreme' works good. You can find it at Gemplers.com. I keep this in my truck along with other necessary medical stuff. They also carry other products for treating poison whatever. Gemplers is a great store for landscapers by the way. They have just about everything you would need and then some.

silverscapes
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
go to the dr ask for the steroids that you take over 7 days comes in a pack that looks like birth control pills the break out will be gone in 2-3 days tops i have a on going perscription works great :clapping:

mike lane lawn care
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
i have had it for a few days now, and i'll just live with it, what feels REALLY good is a real hot shower, gets rid of the pain and itching. I get it all the time, and it no longer really bothers me, i use a 2% hydrocotrosone(sp?) cream and it goes away in two weeks or so. I learned real quick after a bad case last year to not touch "down there" when you have poison ivy.