PDA

View Full Version : Ferris suspension -vs- Hustler add-ons

HS Football Rules
07-02-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm stuck......I'm ready to write the check, and I've got paralysis by analysis.:dizzy: ...Ferris 1500 series 25/52 ($7200)..or..Mini Z 19/52 ($6200)
By the time I add flex forks and susp. seat..price is a push....sooo..that leaves me with choosing either 6 more HP(Ferris) or the better warranty(Hustler). Am I missing any major pros or cons...or do I flip a coin.

HELP !

ojpent
07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I own the IS1500 21/48 it's a great mower and tuffer than any other one that I looked at, but the only thing is that the center of gravity is higher than most. If you have some really sloped lawns try to demo it before you write out the check!!! Other wise its a great ride and really has saved my back with the suspension.......

jsaunders
07-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Now I only have Ferris W/b's and Hustler w/b's- I will say the hustler warranty is alittle better YET I have had more problems with the hustlers in 2 years than I have with the ferris in 5 yrs.

The biggest repair on the ferris were the spindles which had 7-900 hrs on the and one low pressure hydro hose(loose belt was rubbing against the hose)

I have used the Ferris rides with suspension a while back it was a 3000zx- I made an offer on the machine but they weren't budging.
Joel

HS Football Rules
07-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the reply......I noticed the lower center of gravity on the Hustler....and I will be doing some moderate side hills..

HS Football Rules
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
thanks j.....Each has strong and weak points....and they're not real common down here yet....so feedback is scarce!! I like the ferris, but I'm leaning towards tricking out the Hustler.

Husqman
07-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I have a mini z 52 inch with suspension seat and flex forks and a buddy has a ferris 48 inch with front and rear sus. The hustler imo rides much better. Now if you put sus. seat on the ferris it might make a huge difference with the four wheel sus. In my oppinion between the 2 I would go with the hustler the controls on the ferris wore me out they are real stiff plus the hustler is more user friendly to do maintance on.

Liquidfast
07-03-2007, 01:55 AM
IMHO, you are comparing two HOME OWNER models. However high end, but home owners nevertheless.

Now, if you want a REAL suspension, please do get the IS2000. The IS1500 is really NOT an independent suspension and the springs are rinky dink.

If you absolutely go with the models you have chosen, go with the HUSTLER.

Rob.C
07-03-2007, 01:59 AM
hustler all the way no comparsion, I have a 60" e.f.I super-z with most of the upgrades and it blows my buddies 3500 away and his 5000 away like nothing, IMO ferris cuts horrible in damp weather, horriblle on hills. I will say ferris has a good ride but thats it.

fiveoboy01
07-03-2007, 02:56 AM
Eh, are those your only choices?

19hp on a 52" deck is underpowered in my opinion.

From what I see around here, Ferris' cut quality leaves something to be desired. The walk-behinds seem to cut beautifully though.

HS Football Rules
07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I agree, 19hp on the Mini Z 52 seems low...and I seem to hear a recurring theme of bad cut quality on Ferris riders. I will be mowing 6 apt complexes, the 3 smaller ones are on flat ground, the other 3 are pretty hilly, so having the correct powerplant is important, quality of cut is secondary is this situation.... the HOMEOWNER MODEL comment concerns me....should I bump up to the 60" Z w/25hp Kawi...with seat and forks I'm looking at $7700.
Don't know if I need all that mower....but it is a hoss, that's for sure.

cybervision
07-03-2007, 11:13 AM
DEMO DEMO DEMO.
There is a big difference between the 52" Mini and the 60" Hustler. I Purchased a 52" Super Mini in the spring and have not gotten it to cut well yet. I am returning the unit. The Super Mini handles extremely well but the deck is lousy. I have tried 3 different types of blades including doubles and I still have to go over 2 -3 time to clean up the lawn.

A dealer just dropped off a John Deere 60" 757 rider and a 60" 667A stand on to demo about an hour ago. I only tried it for about 2 minutes and so far the cut is much better. I don't like the feel of the machine though. The stick are very hard to move. I will see how it goes.

I learned my lesson. DEMO FIRST. DON'T BUY UNLESS YOU USE THE MACHINE ON YOUR LAWN(S) FIRST.

HS Football Rules
07-03-2007, 04:42 PM
point taken cyber, I've changed my mind again...
I'm buying a cropduster full of RoundUp, a twelve pack,,,
and then going fishin !!:cool2:

HS Football Rules
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
:usflag: bump:usflag:

elrojo63
07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
I would try adding some other hustlers into your choices. They really are better than the ferris. If your doing small hills the miniZ is a good buy. I'd also look at the Fastrak. It has an even lower center of gravity and comes in 48 and 54 inch decks with eitehr 19hp or 21hp engines. If theres plenty of room to maneiver around in and your hills dont meet at a 45 with the ground either the hustler Z or superZ would be an immense time saver. They're a lot more, but they're worth it. Also, before you buy always demo the model. Even if its not on your lawns at leasst at the mower shop. If you dont like it there, then you won't like it for the next few years using it all day.