PDA

View Full Version : Super Z & Bad Boy Measurements

puppypaws
07-02-2007, 09:08 PM
These measurements are in inches and were done by hand very precisely.

H-denotes Hustler and B-denotes Bad Boy

(Engine)
H= 18" long & 20" wide
B= 18" long & 20" wide

(Length From Front Of Front Wheel To Back Of Back Wheel)
H= 72" long
B= 69" long

(Length Full Machine)
H= 86"
B= 81"

(Rear Wheel Width)
H= 59"
B= 55"

(Main Frame Rear Height)
H= 6"
B= 8 1/2"

(Rear Motor Cover Height)
H= 10"
B= 15"

(Foot Platform Height)
H= 15"
B= 18"

(Deck Depth Left Side)
H= 5 7/8"
B= 5 1/2"

(Deck Depth Front)
H= 4 3/4"
B= 5 1/2"

(Deck Thickness)
H= 3/16"
B= 1/4"

(Seat Height From Ground)
H= 31"
B= 36 1/2"

(Foot Platform Height)
H= 15"
B= 18"

(Front Hub Bolt)
H= 3/4"
B= 1/2"

(Fork Thickness)
H= 1/2"
B= 3/8"

Anything else you want to know just ask!!!

TLS
07-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Remember, the BB is a 60" compared to your 66". Wheelbase and track width will be different.

If you want I can measure my 60" SuperZ if there is someone that wants to compare apples to apples.

Are the engines really that similar? With the Vanguard being only "taller"?

puppypaws
07-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Remember, the BB is a 60" compared to your 66". Wheelbase and track width will be different.

If you want I can measure my 60" SuperZ if there is someone that wants to compare apples to apples.

Are the engines really that similar? With the Vanguard being only "taller"?

Measure your 60" from outside rear tire to outside rear tire.

The Kohler is 14 1/2" high to the top of the fan shroud.

The Vanguard is 16 1/2" high to the top of the fan shroud.

The width and length of the engines are the same.

dwost
07-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Great info. One question, when I looked at their brochure and spoke to one of their reps they stated the forks were also 1/2" thick. Is this only on their non suspension models? When I demo'd their pup and lightning I only really looked at the forks on the pup without the bushings and they were definitely 1/2" thick. I didn't look close enough on the Lightning with the suspension but I'm wondering if they shaved some thickness due to the design? any feedback on this?

puppypaws
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Great info. One question, when I looked at their brochure and spoke to one of their reps they stated the forks were also 1/2" thick. Is this only on their non suspension models? When I demo'd their pup and lightning I only really looked at the forks on the pup without the bushings and they were definitely 1/2" thick. I didn't look close enough on the Lightning with the suspension but I'm wondering if they shaved some thickness due to the design? any feedback on this?

Look at the pictures I posted of the front suspension, it is double plated, the torsion rubber it is very strong and takes the stress off the metal. The 1/2" metal you are talking about would be on a standard fork. You can't damage the front forks on the Bad Boy Lightening unless you run head on into a tractor trailer.

TLS
07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Measure your 60" from outside rear tire to outside rear tire.

This would be the track width... mine is 54 1/2" wide here.

Overall length of machine 81"

Front of front tire to rear of rear tire 69 3/4"

puppypaws
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
This would be the track width... mine is 54 1/2" wide here.

Overall length of machine 81"

Front of front tire to rear of rear tire 69 3/4"

Really the same dimensions as the 60" Bad Boy, I mowed a 26 degree slope and my Super Z will not lose any traction (when it is dry) the Bad Boy will slide a little but very little and certainly not $2100.00 worth.

Envy Lawn Service
07-04-2007, 11:00 PM
So it is not as good on slopes then?

When I looked at them I figured as much due to the height.
But really hill performance and deck performance were the only real questions in my mind.

What is the price on the lightning unit?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PS> also just wanted to check to see if you got my last PM about the oil?

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 11:20 PM
So it is not as good on slopes then?

When I looked at them I figured as much due to the height.
But really hill performance and deck performance were the only real questions in my mind.

What is the price on the lightning unit?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PS> also just wanted to check to see if you got my last PM about the oil?

It is good on slopes but not quiet as good as the lower profile Super Z.

The cut is not for manicured grass but it would be productive in average grass but not as productive as the Super Z cutting at lower heights as I do.
The Bad Boy will leave a good percentage more uncut weed stems than the Hustler, even at lower heights. I think the deck being 5 1/2" in the front of the Bad Boy pushes over stemmed weeds more than the opened front of the XR-7 deck plus it just doesn't cut as clean.

I got the information on the oil and now I am trying to get a response from Kohler.

Envy Lawn Service
07-04-2007, 11:51 PM
That's understandable on the slopes.

I hate the stringers with a passion.
The trivantage leaves them, the command cut doesn't.

Both units are full depth all the way around... no raised skirt like Hustler or others.

This tells me it's not all about a raised lip.
Some decks just don't cut stems and such as well.

The only thing I can think of to check is the pitch/rake of the deck.
It might have too much.

I doubt you'll get that response you are looking for... admission of guilt.

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 11:59 PM
This tells me it's not all about a raised lip.
Some decks just don't cut stems and such as well.

The only thing I can think of to check is the pitch/rake of the deck.
It might have too much.

Tell me what to look for on the pitch and rake of the deck. What would be your guess of how it should be set. I've never had to adjust a deck so this is a little out of my league.

I thought the dealer would have a demo unit set up properly, if they know how.

I'm sorry I forgot to give you the prices, 32/60 is $8,295.00 and the 32/72 is $8,695.00.

I ask them if they came off list and they said "we don't have to because we have a much better price for more machine than any on the market".

webdrifter
07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
I was told that the bad boy lightning was a 15 mph mower, how is the speed of the bad boy compared to the super z ?

will it climb better without loosing rpm's than the super z ?

Envy Lawn Service
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, most mowers have a sweet spot somewhere between dead level and 1/4" lower in the front.

That said, you can check it by pulling it on a really smooth surface, aligning the left blade straight front to back and measuring from the front and rear blade tip down to the surface with a stick ruler. Repeat on the right side.

This will tell you what it is currently set at.
As for how to adjust the rake on a bad boy, I don't have a clue...

Few dealers are as good as yours. Most demos and new sales go out the door however they came off the assembly line.

12thKY
07-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Tell me what to look for on the pitch and rake of the deck. What would be your guess of how it should be set. I've never had to adjust a deck so this is a little out of my league.

You want your deck to be a 1/8" to a 1/4" lower in the front. The Bad Boy book says to run a 1/8" rake, but for my Bad Boy it seems to like a 1/4" rake with the Fusion (stock) blades. I have tried ExMark blades with a bigger sail that worked pretty good at the stock rake but still wouldn't pick all the grass up in the tire tracks, but with the 1/4" rake and the stock blades it improved the cut. You might try the 1/4" pitch, and be sure the blades are sharp.

The front of the deck has two linkages which are the same as a top link on a tractor's 3pt hitch. You simply loosen the nuts on each end and adjust a little on each side then tighten the nuts back. Be sure to adjust a little on each side and measure frequently on each side.

I cut at 3", and the only strigers I really have trouble with is limp grass like orchard grass, but I had that with my ExMark TriVantage deck. I never have had trouble below that height, but I rarely am able to cut wide open, that only yard I have that I can is over run with nutsedge which about any mower can cut it clean. So far the cut on mine is not quite as finished as the ExMark I had but it is close enough for me, and without the deck scraping which I hate.

puppypaws
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
You want your deck to be a 1/8" to a 1/4" lower in the front. The Bad Boy book says to run a 1/8" rake, but for my Bad Boy it seems to like a 1/4" rake with the Fusion (stock) blades. I have tried ExMark blades with a bigger sail that worked pretty good at the stock rake but still wouldn't pick all the grass up in the tire tracks, but with the 1/4" rake and the stock blades it improved the cut. You might try the 1/4" pitch, and be sure the blades are sharp.

The front of the deck has two linkages which are the same as a top link on a tractor's 3pt hitch. You simply loosen the nuts on each end and adjust a little on each side then tighten the nuts back. Be sure to adjust a little on each side and measure frequently on each side.

I cut at 3", and the only strigers I really have trouble with is limp grass like orchard grass, but I had that with my ExMark TriVantage deck. I never have had trouble below that height, but I rarely am able to cut wide open, that only yard I have that I can is over run with nutsedge which about any mower can cut it clean. So far the cut on mine is not quite as finished as the ExMark I had but it is close enough for me, and without the deck scraping which I hate.

Thank you very much for this information, I will check it out. The mower leaves a lot of Dallas grass stems uncut and Orchard grass also. I am use to cutting at 2.75" as fast as my Super Z will run and it very seldom leaves anything. This makes the Super Z a lot more productive because even with the BB Lightening being a 14 mph mower the speed is no good when the cut falls off.