PDA

View Full Version : screwed over by my fellow mowing "buddy"...

Fleming Lawn Services
07-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Well i guess he really isn't a friend, found out this week from a commercial account i cut weekly that one of my so called friends tried to take it away from me. In this letter my "friend" said i wasn't fit to be in this business, because for one: my Dad does all my paper work and billing (this is a family ran business by the way), secondly, i still live at home (i just moved back home because for the past six years i have lived in Ohio, so i am trying to get situated still), and thirdly i have a bad reputation in the business.

Let me just tell you people that i am an honest christian man who actually graduated from Bible college and was planning on going into the ministry but i loved lawn work so much that i couldn't quit it, and all i want to do is build a respectable company which prides itself on honesty and character! Also this is my first year in the business(i grew up mowing lawns before i went to school in Cincinnati) and i have a handful of accounts and some commercial accounts as well and i have never heard anything bad from them.

So after reading this letter that he wrote to one of my properties, i felt pretty dejected yesterday and was pretty upset. My question is how would you guys deal with this and have you all had to deal with anything like this?

EJD Lawnpride
07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
just keep doing good work and move on. Your work will stand for itself. Don't talk to your friend anymore!

txgrassguy
07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, the Lord says to turn the other cheek.
I say to directly ask this individual if he really sent out this letter - you know he did - and if he lies to your face then cave it in with a shovel.
Provided he doesn't lie, then grasp him about the shoulders and ask a Brother on how to help a Brother in running a faith based business.
When he opens his mouth to reply, hit him in the head with a shovel.

Envy Lawn Service
07-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Boy... I don't know...

That was a lot of help huh?

Fleming Lawn Services
07-03-2007, 12:38 AM
after i read the letter i called to talk to him and unfortunately only got his answering machine, and then the funniest thing was he would only text message me and he just told me to get some thick skin. Unfortunately he doesnt hold to the integrity side of the business he is purely cut throat, which i have just learned!

Woody82986
07-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Don't let it bother you. Just let your work speak for itself. Obviously you still have the client he tried to snake from you. I feel that anyone who has to resort to trying to get clients by badmouthing the current LCO obviously doesn't have the kind of quality work and reputation to be able to get clients on his own.

robertsturf
07-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Don't let it get you down. Same thing happened to me last year. Some one from a local church called for a mowing estimate and was in a big hurry. So I shot him a price for 8 acres open mowing with very little trimming, Just exellent for our equipment. It's less than a mile from where we live. So I quoted him $500.00 per cut. They want it cut EVERY week and it's non irrigated. So what happened? He decided to go into the lawn business himself and under-cut me by $100.00. It takes him a full day to mow it and most times he splits it into 2 days!!. Oh by the way he is doing apps to with-out a license. As soon as I get his # off the truck I am turning him in to the Mo-Ag. Also he tried to buy a Stander using the churches tax exempt # to use in his business.

Currier
07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
In the grand scheme of things he will be but a tiny blip....Just go on hold up your head and do what you do for the reasons that you do it. Obviously you are being sucessful and he is wanting to take the shortcut and try to steal from you. Don't defend yourself. just do the work that you do and give the customer that "knowing smile" when they ask about some unverified claim by the desperate half-wit.

puppypaws
07-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Well i guess he really isn't a friend, found out this week from a commercial account i cut weekly that one of my so called friends tried to take it away from me. In this letter my "friend" said i wasn't fit to be in this business, because for one: my Dad does all my paper work and billing (this is a family ran business by the way), secondly, i still live at home (i just moved back home because for the past six years i have lived in Ohio, so i am trying to get situated still), and thirdly i have a bad reputation in the business.

Let me just tell you people that i am an honest christian man who actually graduated from Bible college and was planning on going into the ministry but i loved lawn work so much that i couldn't quit it, and all i want to do is build a respectable company which prides itself on honesty and character! Also this is my first year in the business(i grew up mowing lawns before i went to school in Cincinnati) and i have a handful of accounts and some commercial accounts as well and i have never heard anything bad from them.

So after reading this letter that he wrote to one of my properties, i felt pretty dejected yesterday and was pretty upset. My question is how would you guys deal with this and have you all had to deal with anything like this?

You went to bible college, then you know "vengence is mine sayeth the Lord".
Forget about it, I'll promise you he want, anger always hurts you worse than the jackass you are dwelling on.

HOOLIE
07-03-2007, 01:35 AM
In this letter my "friend" said i wasn't fit to be in this business, because for one: my Dad does all my paper work and billing (this is a family ran business by the way), secondly, i still live at home (i just moved back home because for the past six years i have lived in Ohio, so i am trying to get situated still), and thirdly i have a bad reputation in the business.

Jeez somebody actually thought that would be some persuasive info to include in a letter???? Either he has a very low IQ, or he is a budding politician :laugh:

Be thankful you are not him. How some people get thru life without inadvertantly killing themselves is amazing.

robbo521
07-03-2007, 01:47 AM
tell him you will be praying for him and it will all be fine.

Mowing Freak
07-03-2007, 01:59 AM
This is a perfect opportunity for you to witness to him. Just treat him the same way you always do. I have had sort of the same thing happen to me a few times, but just treat them nice and know that God will take care of you. If you get revenge, you have lost twice. One for a chance to witness, two, chance for God's vengence. There is numerous stories where the offending person has come to the offended person and ask what is up with them as they didn't get mad when they offended them. Bang! Witnessing opportunity just opened up before your eyes and possibly a good friend out of the deal! Yes, I have to remind myself of this daily too!!

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 03:28 AM
Do something special for him. Favorite food etc. Something about "heaping burning coals on his head" Biblical reference FYI :laugh:
:angel:

Frosty03
07-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Actually, in heaping some burning coals on his head...thank him.

Write him an honest thank you letter for helping you see things as they actually are. Wish him well and send him down the road.

Move on from there, the thank you will get to him.

Littleriver1
07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
I don't think you should do any thing. The real problem is the future. Every time you see him or any thing that reminds you of him may bring up some really bad feelings toward him. That would be a bad thing (sin). Some people carry bad feelings toward others around for years for less reasons. I know of one lady that hated another lady for over 50 years for dating her boy friend in high school. The guy has been dead for 40 years. The real crime he committed was putting hate in your mind. How do you forgive some one for that? That is not a way to go through life. He thinks he was going to steal a customer because of his greed. But satan was trying to put hate in your mind and it may have worked. Your problem as I see it is, to find out how not to hate the guy.

johnwon
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Well I'm not sure...but he may not plan on showing up for you to work any more. But if he does show up to work like nothing ever happened, I'd tell him that your business can't function well with that type of employee. Tell him good luck with starting your owne business.

newz7151
07-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Well I'm not sure...but he may not plan on showing up for you to work any more. But if he does show up to work like nothing ever happened, I'd tell him that your business can't function well with that type of employee. Tell him good luck with starting your owne business.

I don't think you understand the original post.

To the OP: If you have a copy of the letter, take it to court and sue him for lible/slander.

Nosmo
07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I can see that you may wish to forgive him and not pursue the matter. But from a practical side save that written message just in case he does it again.

It's one thing if a person verbily passes lies about you and it's called Slander. The more serious situation is if there is a permanent record (in the paper) (on TV) (in writing etc). This is Libel.

If he continues to do this you may want to see an attorney.

Nosmo

TCossuto
07-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Drop the bible for 30 mins and punch him right between the eyes. Or you can be a 'big man' and forget about it. I think I'd be to angry to though.

whiteslawnservices
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
you need to not wear your heart on your shirt sleve and just dont be friends with him he didnt value your friendship so you know whos really your friends

Vikings
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd be making anonymous phone calls to his customer...actually, since you're an american, file a law suit.

johnwon
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't think you understand the original post.

To the OP: If you have a copy of the letter, take it to court and sue him for lible/slander.
I guess your right...I thought that the dude mowed for him.

mverick
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
He just did you a favor.

Now you know who he is.

Keep working and laugh it off. See him at functions and be cordial. But, it's obvious he doesn't want to be friends.

walker/redmax
07-03-2007, 03:40 PM
I say to directly ask this individual if he really sent out this letter - you know he did - and if he lies to your face then cave it in with a shovel.
Provided he doesn't lie, then grasp him about the shoulders and ask a Brother on how to help a Brother in running a faith based business.
Haha! Jesus saves, my friend. Or you could throw a bible at his head and scream "the power of Christ compels you!!" and see what he says.

roguesuerte
07-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Smite Him! Damnit.

mattfromNY
07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
We have a guy in town that writes letters to commercial accounts telling them how their current LCO isnt doing a good job, etc... The funny thing is, his work isnt very good, and most of the places actually get a sour vibe from someone that acts this way. I dont think anyone would hire someone that goes about promoting themselves by pointing out others' faults.

lawnman_scott
07-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Actually that sounds like something a child would do, and he will never get a single account that way unless they already hate you and were looking to cancel. As far as the God smiting, and praying....... I think God is a bit busy to worry who is cutting whos grass.

mowisme
07-03-2007, 10:03 PM
forgive him- don't loose sleep over him- but,..do Pray for him as he is in for a long road for the only friends he will have are ones like him who'll do to him as he has tried to do to you. Even if down the road you see he seems very successful- Have peace knowing that your's is being made the honest way- The way you should as a Christian. My guess is many big guys are doing it just like you..hard work/ long days/and honest way of doing buisness. Remember.. goes something like this..Forgive them of their tresspasses as the father has forgiven yours. (close anyway) as mentioned- keep doing good quality work, and honesty and good character will be what your customers will take note of. Gene

johnnywill08
07-03-2007, 10:40 PM
i'd kill him. you could say something very religious at his funeral, then crap on his grave. oops, that's what i'd do and i'm an a$$hole. you should ask him to go with you to the third party and repet it right in front of you. he wont and then you can follow my previous instructions.

Vikings
07-03-2007, 10:42 PM
i'd kill him. you could say something very religious at his funeral, then crap on his grave. oops, that's what i'd do and i'm an a$$hole. you should ask him to go with you to the third party and repet it right in front of you. he wont and then you can follow my previous instructions.

Yeah:laugh:

The best of both worlds. You got the revenge thing AND the religious forgiving thing.

Mark in MD
07-03-2007, 11:58 PM
I believe what he did is illegal. Consider seeing a lawyer.

Chilehead
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Sounds to me like God is stretching your faith--and seeing how you handle the situation. WWJD? Forgive him, pray he becomes a believer, and go on with your work. Besides, your work should be your best reference and no bad-mouthing can change that. He really is just hurting himself by talking smack about you. Let it go and move on.

Darrin A.
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
I can see that you may wish to forgive him and not pursue the matter. But from a practical side save that written message just in case he does it again.

It's one thing if a person verbily passes lies about you and it's called Slander. The more serious situation is if there is a permanent record (in the paper) (on TV) (in writing etc). This is Libel.

If he continues to do this you may want to see an attorney.

Nosmo

Good advice here, remember, doing business his way will do nothing more than "screw" him in the end. Take pride in the fact that, the way you do business, you could never have even written that letter let alone send it. You can personally forgive him but, your business should be keeping track of it. Seems kind of hard to do this but, the only business, in my opinion, that should actually do business in a fully christian way, is a church. I don't think they would just simply fogive and forget either. Just my 2 cents.

puppypaws
07-04-2007, 01:47 AM
I believe what he did is illegal. Consider seeing a lawyer.

Yes, what he did may be illegal but the only ones that come out on top in a lawsuit is the attorney's (been there, done that). The one that wins the case is the one who has the attorney with the biggest fork in his tongue, kinda like a snake.

Now let me explain this to you because I have some legal knowledge from prior experiences.

I will put myself in the persons position that wrote the letter and receive a notice that I am being sued. I do not hire an attorney but you have, so now you are already deeper in the hole financially because you are paying the attorney (cheap one) $150.00 an hour.

We are now in court going through the jury selection process and all I am wasting is my time while you are losing time and attorney fees.

Now your attorney gets me on the stand in front of the jury and says to me, "Mr. so an so did you write this letter that I just read to the jury" I say yes sir I did. He then says "you wrote a letter to his customers knowing what you were writing was not true" I then say yes, "I did write the letter and to the best of my knowledge everything than was written is the truth".

People have a misconception about our judicial system, they think defendants are innocent until proven guilty. This is as far from the truth as anything you will ever see. You have to prove to that jury what you are suing me for is a law that has been broken and believe me what was in that letter a jury of twelve average people are not going to have a clue who is telling the truth and who is not.

What it boils down to is you cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that what was written in the letter is not the truth, especially when the plaintiff has already explained why some of the things that were written had taken place.

Now, gentleman tell me how much chance you have of winning a lawsuit against me.

Midwest Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 02:52 AM

:clapping: I like your thinking!:laugh:

Fordsuvparts
07-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I still think the idea of hitting him with a shovel is the best one yet. Give me his name and number and when one of my crews are in louisville again we can look him up to give us some mowing estimates, for properties we don't own of course, we will have him running all over town for nothing. Then at the last job he comes too we will throw him a trash bag party with shovels to the head.

Fleming Lawn Services
07-04-2007, 05:00 PM
i like where you head is at, just look up conner landscaping and you will find him my friend, good luck in your endeavors!!!