PDA

View Full Version : lawn boy

bare spot
07-02-2007, 11:48 PM
saw a 21 in. commercial lawn boy today at a dealer today. was told it's new and just came out, was wondering if any seen this, or knows anything about these new mowers. it's a push model and don't know if any of these models are gonna have a drive system but looks like a good one. bare spot

LALawnboy
07-02-2007, 11:54 PM
did it have the honda commercial engine on it? and no staggered deck?

bare spot
07-03-2007, 12:14 AM
yes and no, forgot hp but yeah pretty sure commercial and believe six hp, not sure what mean about deck other than how lawn boy wheel base on some mower is staggered., this one wasn't,.. was told it's similar to a proline. it is a push and wondering if gonna make this model with drive. was checking their site earlier and couldn't find, but good looking mower

LALawnboy
07-03-2007, 02:19 AM
i like the look of it as well. although i still prefer the staggered deck (it's what i use daily), i sometimes wouldn't mind having a non-staggered wheel design. and i'm the same as you, i can't find anything about a drive system on this new mower.

Roger
07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
This may be the Insight commercial model that was scheduled for release in early Summer (by some accounts). If so, it should have the Honda X engine, the variable ground speed control (not sure what it is called these days, but patterned after the consumer models), non-staggered wheel design, rear bagger.

zak406
07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
my dealer has them in stock they look preety nice. i just wish they had blade control that would be even better. I also miss the staggered deck!

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Toro actually owns lawnboy. Before you commit to buy check out the aluminum deck Toro with personal pace drive system 3 in 1 mower. It bags, mulches and has a side chute mount for mowing the really tall stuff if you need to. $550-$650

Also check out Toros Proline series over $1100. Built like a tank Kawasaki powered however no personnel pace drive system. 3 speed left foot operated shifting.

Do Not buy the steel deck Home Depot or Lowes version :hammerhead: of this mower. Under $400

I believe the higher grade consumer aluminum deck Toro will hold up just fine for commercial use. The increased productivity of the personal Pace system will make up up for any reduction of long term durability when compared to the Toro Proline series for half the price. They also have the blade control in this series as well as an OHV engine.

YMMV

zak406
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM
the personal pace drive system is to easy to ruin.

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
the personal pace drive system is to easy to ruin.

This system is very similar to the Lawnboy as well. What exactly goes wrong with them and how much is it to fix? Not what a dealer would charge but in parts and user labor time. I've been looking for specifics on the long term reliability of the Personnel Pace drive system.

Awaiting for a detailed reply. :rolleyes:

bare spot
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
anyone know what this variable ground speed control (or what their calling it) is, is it just one gear?

bare spot
07-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Toro actually owns lawnboy. Before you commit to buy check out the aluminum deck Toro with personal pace drive system 3 in 1 mower. It bags, mulches and has a side chute mount for mowing the really tall stuff if you need to. $550-$650

Also check out Toros Proline series over $1100. Built like a tank Kawasaki powered however no personnel pace drive system. 3 speed left foot operated shifting.

Do Not buy the steel deck Home Depot or Lowes version :hammerhead: of this mower. Under $400

I believe the higher grade consumer aluminum deck Toro will hold up just fine for commercial use. The increased productivity of the personal Pace system will make up up for any reduction of long term durability when compared to the Toro Proline series for half the price. They also have the blade control in this series as well as an OHV engine.

YMMV
need a good bagger, have u used any of the toro's mention above for bagging, did u like?

Exact Rototilling
07-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Toro Super recyclers bag fair to good. Not the choice of mower I'd use for vacuuming damp leaves if I had my choice. AS long as your not bagging wet grass your fine with a Toro. A number of commercial operators in my area here use the Areins 21 with a Kawasaki engine. My dad owns one and it's great bagger and one fast mower. Speed = $. It is an excellent bagger but a horrible mulcher.

I have not used the Toro Proline 3 speed mowers so I can't really compare. I would consider it myself except for that foot operated speed selector. :cry:

Toro does have a Hi Vac bagger http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/hi%20vac/index.html I have never used it.

bare spot
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM
exact rototilling do appreciate u getting back, u had some good posts on these mowers i've read in the past. i am looking for mower that bags good and pretty sure honda would be best bet but don't want to go with that. and with this lawn boy mower being close to a toro (which never used) and hearing mixed reviews on this site about toro's for bagging i could use the help., but did like looks and do want to find out more. got the weight 87lbs. and as far as know there's a push and a drive model. happy independence day to all

Roger
07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
I have used staggered-wheeled LawnBoy mowers for a long time. The side bagger on the staggered-wheel design is the best bagger for my use. However, those days may be numbered. Mine gets used heavily every day, mostly for bagging.

I bought a Toro Proline 21" commercial between my LawnBoy mowers. It was used for about a season and half, but parked because of poor bagging capability. I tried everything I knew, but it would not bag well in heavy Spring growth. I took out the kicker plates, bought a high-lift blade, but the narrow neck of the bagging chute was a major problem. It was so bad in Spring 2004, we parked it, and bought a new LawnBoy, with side bagger. The Toro has been used very little since. For light bagging, it was fine. However, for wet or damp clippings, or for heavy growth, the Toro was very challenging. Another factor was the weight -- Toro about 110#, the LB about 80#. The cloth side bags on the LB are easy to use -- we use four bags with our mower. Working with multiple Toro bags is not easy. They cannot easily be packed away, not easily carried to the backyards, etc.

With regards to the new Insight LB, I have heard good reports from consumer experiences with the deck design and bag location. I take the good reports with a bit of salt, however. Consumers don't have to bag in difficult conditions, they usually wait until conditions improve. However, in looking at the design, the large chute and the large bag opening, the design should work pretty well.

The quality of cut of the staggered-wheel design will be very hard to beat. The results of the Toro are bad compared to the staggered-wheel design. How well the new Insight design works in terms of quality of cut, I don't have any information.

bare spot
07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
roger thanks, good stuff,. not sure where in pa u are but think i'm north of u cutting some of the same grass. not to familiar with the mower that days are numbered, but have been hearing how well liked they are. take it there not made anymore, think they would keep them around. on the insight it's good to hear they poss. made the machine a good bagging mower for some high grass, wet grass. question now are these drive systems and why they are easy to (if i read that right) ruin.