PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy falls apart!

skinnydogz
07-03-2007, 04:59 AM
So my new Bad Boy Lightning, only 45 days old....with a little over 55 hours on it, had the bolt that holds up the deck....one on each side holds a chain that holds up the deck, broke......I then proceed to open up the "swing away" arms for access to the deck area a little easier and low and behold, the hinges that "swing away" both fall completely off.....they are rusted out....I was just stunned.....it's going back to the dealer today and hopefully get a loaner and to be replaced ASAP....if you own a BB, you might want to check your swing aways to make sure they are in working order and not having the rust problem I have.

rundm
07-03-2007, 07:40 AM
good thing about a warranty. RG

Allens LawnCare
07-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Wheres captin fluid film.....

Dave Carney
07-03-2007, 09:49 AM
I was wondering how the hinges would hold up, i wasn't thinking rust though, I was thinking the constant vibration and pounding of the machine would make them fail.

TLS
07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Need some pics!

Bolts are bolts...sometimes they fail due to manufacturing defects. Cant blame the mower manufacturer for this. But the hinge thing.... I need to see this.

daysel
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Then who to blame?? The bolt co.
No, you use a heavier grade bolt which they should have known.

TLS
07-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Then who to blame?? The bolt co. Well....yes. :rolleyes:
No, you use a heavier grade bolt which they should have known. Without pics, we don't know if they used the proper size bolt or not. BB seens to be similar to Hustler where they OVERBUILD the entire machine. Cant believe they'd scrimp on deck carrier bolt size. :confused:

tallimeca
07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
nothing lasts forever. No matter how much their company promotes them, things will break.

Hope your up and running soon.

Dano50
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Wheres captin fluid film.....

Captin Fluid Film is in the building! :laugh:

If rust is the enemy, Fluid Film is the cure! (I need to get a cape and tights. Okay, maybe just a cape.) :hammerhead:

DLCS
07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
nothing lasts forever. No matter how much their company promotes them, things will break.

Hope your up and running soon.

After 45 days with 55 hrs? :rolleyes:

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
07-03-2007, 07:20 PM

If rust is the enemy, Fluid Film is the cure! (I need to get a cape and tights. Okay, maybe just a cape.) :hammerhead:

How about a mask also.

jrc lawncare
07-03-2007, 08:10 PM
After 45 days with 55 hrs? :rolleyes: Exactly. Piss-poor IMO.

GreenT
07-03-2007, 09:09 PM
skinnydogz,

Please try to post some pics. You are describing wear and tear that should be on a 1500 hour machine not 55.

Also, please let us know what BB's response is, if you could.

I think more than a few guys here would like to know.

skinnydogz
07-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok guys...here's the scoop....my machine was taken back to the dealer today and as far as the deck chain goes, he took a brand new one off a machine he had and replaced it......all's good....now, I haven't had a chance to get a pic of the rust, but basically the weld was bad....the bolt didn't break, both hinges on the one side just plain snapped off....the metal behind was rusted....the dealer welded back the hinge to the doors and I will try and post a pic in the morning....he said he will contact BB and get two new swing outs as long as BB honors it.....he ordered one for the other side just in case....that was the first time the hinge had been opened...the other side has yet to even "swing away" yet.....I don't dare do it until the new ones come in just in case it's bad also.....but again, I will get some pics for you too see......

Mr Priceless
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM

How about a mask also.

and SPEEDOS!:weightlifter:

Grits
07-04-2007, 04:21 AM

I'll get you the number to my personal tailor.

bohiaa
07-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Need some pics!

Bolts are bolts...sometimes they fail due to manufacturing defects. Cant blame the mower manufacturer for this. But the hinge thing.... I need to see this.

NOT TRUE AT ALL...........

ever hear of harden bolts, aircraft quailty, poor enginnering,

Runner
07-04-2007, 01:53 PM

LOL! A little late.... This is like Superman swooping down and scooping up the pile of soup on the sidewalk from the woman that was falling from the building.:laugh: :rolleyes:

daysel
07-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Well....yes. :rolleyes:
Without pics, we don't know if they used the proper size bolt or not. BB seens to be similar to Hustler where they OVERBUILD the entire machine. Cant believe they'd scrimp on deck carrier bolt size. :confused:
Not the size of the bolt. The grade.
Why do you need to see it? Bottom line is it failed and could have been prevented.

DUSTYCEDAR
07-04-2007, 03:01 PM
a cape where? more like a old tarp lol
if the weld was bad it sounds like poor quality control to me it happens

lawnman_scott
07-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Not the size of the bolt. The grade.
Why do you need to see it? Bottom line is it failed and could have been prevented.No if you would read the thread you would see that the weld broke, not the bolt. So the bolt co is not to blame as the engineers that mow grass thought.

TLS
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
had the bolt that holds up the deck....one on each side holds a chain that holds up the deck, broke

What part of bolt don't you understand Scott?

rundm
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
origionally posted by skinnydogz
"basically the weld was bad....the bolt didn't break, both hinges on the one side just plain snapped off....the metal behind was rusted....the dealer welded back the hinge to the doors"

The bolts were not bad, the welds were. Quality control should have caught that one. RG

TLS
07-04-2007, 05:32 PM
The bolts I"m talking about were the bolt that broke that held up the deck. Not the hinge bolts/weld.

DLCS
07-04-2007, 05:33 PM
This thread is confusing.:dizzy:

TLS
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, the original poster had a problem with the deck chain support bolt breaking and when he went to fix that he opened up the hinge open gas tanks and the hinge for that fell apart due to a faulty weld/rust.

Thats how I read it.

My original post was that you cant blame a mower manufacturer if the bolt in question was the proper size/grade and was simply a faulty bolt.

KTO Enterprises
07-04-2007, 06:10 PM
NOT TRUE AT ALL...........

ever hear of harden bolts, aircraft quailty, poor enginnering,

A grade 8 bolt in this application would be more likely to break that a grade 5. grade 5 is used for applications where parts move and flex. A grade 8 is designed to have tensile stregnth but not as much shear stregnth. Grade 8 is best used for things like cylinder head bolts. grade 5 is best for chassis and structure applications.

I used to have a chart from Kar fasteners and I cant find it anywhere.

hared12
07-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Skinnydogz,

I notice you're in Warsaw, Mo. I'm in Marshall. Did you get your Bad Boy from the dealer in Sedalia? I got a PUP 60" from him a few weeks ago and am very satisfied with it so far. I'll be interested to see how the company stands behind your problem.

skinnydogz
07-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Hared, yes, Kleins in Sedalia.....John is great there...he plans on taking care of it with the BB rep.

Yes, two problems here....one the chain bolt that holds up the deck broke, then when I went in to open the hinged swing away to get to the bolt, the hinge broke off.....the dealer had the hinge welded back on until the BB rep gets a new swing away panel....we'll see how it goes....I still haven't gotten the pics...sorry, worked all day and now it's getting dark to take the pic...I'll try again tomorrow....but it seems most everyone reading understands which parts I am talking about so not sure if pics even matter

lifetree
07-04-2007, 11:45 PM

Or, the machine could have sat outside for a long time at the dealer !!

skinnydogz
07-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Or, the machine could have sat outside for a long time at the dealer !!

I picked the machine up as it rolled off the BB truck.....the driver was from BB and said he was there at the plant as they were finishing it up and then he loaded it on the truck....the mower was less than 24 hrs old and it was at my house.....so this was not an issue

jtrover
07-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Do you mow with your deck all the way up a lot across rough terrain.

skinnydogz
07-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Do you mow with your deck all the way up a lot across rough terrain.

we have alot of rock here so yes a few places I do

Dano50
07-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll get you the number to my personal tailor.

Thanks. Your cape is beautiful, although we can FORGET the speedos.You KNOW I will be wearing a mask, however, once that cape comes on.

Would you believe the boss actually tried to talk me into wearing one once for a promotion? I was like, uh, no! :dizzy: