PDA

View Full Version : DOT help in MD

lawnman757
07-03-2007, 06:54 AM
I am looking for the required information I must maintain in MD for DOT?
I am currently operating solo with a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup and 20 foot enclosed trailer. DOT stopped me the other day and told me to get a physical card (along with a ticket for it), DOT # and read the web site for the rest of the regulations. Any help would be greatly appreciated as they told me I would have an inspection within 3-6 months.
Lawnman757

EngineeredLawns
07-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Look Here. It appears that a commercial vehicle is any vehicle with a gross or combine gross weight over 10000 lbs. 1/2 ton pick ups can fall into this.

http://www.mdot.state.md.us/MMCP/FAQ.html

Mark in MD
07-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I think this is the gist of it, right here:

5. What is the definition of a commercial vehicle?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations have defined a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) as noted below. Maryland has adopted this definition for commercial vehicles that operate only within state boundaries (intrastate).

CMV definition:
Commercial motor vehicle means any vehicle operated in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 10,001 pounds or more, whichever is greater; or
(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
(4) Is used in transporting hazardous in a quantity requiring placarding.
<end>

Fortunately, I don't qualify for this headache.

unit28
07-03-2007, 11:52 PM
A USDOT number is required for those companies that operate in intrastate commerce of
a Minnesota based truck / truck tractor, having a gross vehicle weight in excess of 10,000
lbs. other than farm trucks.

I think this applies to all states as I see it.
Maybe I'm wrong.

chesie
07-04-2007, 12:55 AM
At the minimum in MD for your weight range you are looking at:

Truck lettered w/ DOT # + city/ state
Medical card
Fire exstinguisher
Flares
Triangles
As well as normal proper maintenance of your truck and trailer. (tires, lights, brakes, break away, weight, etc.)

lawnman757
07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is there a place on the internet to download the forms for the maintenance?

Mike33
07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Every thing chesie stated is needed, i have been fined on 2 of those items. Make sure every light on truck and trailer works, along with every thing else perfect. Load properly tied down, safety chains on trialer criss cross, tires, fire ext. bolted down. The trouble with our laws are we dont always get the news of some chicken ship law just passed and can pay the penalty. I also think some of the dot cops make up there own laws as they go.
Mike

lawnman757
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Mike, The fire extinquisher has to be bolted down in the truck? Or can it be in the back of the tool box?

unit28
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
It must be secure...and bungy cords do not count.
I am speaking from experience.....LOL

crash935
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Mike, The fire extinquisher has to be bolted down in the truck? Or can it be in the back of the tool box?

Must be secured, you can mount it in the tool box but the outside of the tool box must be labeled indicating that the fire ext is inside. Ext must also be charged fully.

razor1
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
lawnman757, just curious, what were the dot cops driving and were they state or county? Also, where were you at the time, back road or highway?
Did they come up from behind or were they sitting along side the road waiting? Thanks for participating in my DOT behavior study. R1

Ever since 9/11, this whole dot thing has become a real pita money grab imo. Big brother is watching. :cry:

Mike33
07-08-2007, 07:26 PM
They know where to sit, fool them no way. My funniest one came 3 years ago i knew i had a trailer light out and no name on my truck. I just got a new truck ( 6 months ) the other one had blown out lettering in gold leaf etc. I said bull ship to this. Any way i passed dot cop close to where bobcat was he had someone off, i told my employee he had to get bobcat quick 2 miles away and ill take a short cut. Took short cut to avoid him then 5 miles after that when i was with in 1 mile of job he came from behind and got me. This guy is tough and hated by all in my area but has always been fair to me. Well after inspection he told me i had a few items and was * MY TURN TO PAY THE STATE OF MARYLAND SOME MONEY * ( nice phrase ) It cost me only 50.00 for no name but got warning for taillight out, empty ext., and no tag light. So you never know where they will be, fool them no way.
Mike

lawnman757
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I got stopped on route 40 in Cecil County. They are DOT MD state cops and are usually in a SUV in this area (Ford Expedition). I see AWDIRECT sells a small tool box with flare, triangles, and a extinquisher that you can transfer from vehicle to vehicle. I really do not want to drill holes in my truck.

unit28
07-09-2007, 08:51 AM
This stuff really hit the fan here.
All I've seen pulled over are lawn trucks with trailers.
They say there must be a reason before pulling you over.

I was pulled over in a school zone by a local and on a busy road
by the sherrif. I told the sherrif I wasn't over weight and he said I'll see about that....he pulled the scales out of his trunk...LOL

Make sure you use turn signals at all times.

Mike33
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Im telling you they damn near make there laws as they go. One thing i was glad to see, where i live there is a stone quarry about 1/2 mile away. It used to be funny to watch neighbor joe go over and try to put 2 ton of crd on his 1/2 ton pickup. They would pull out looking like they was going to do a wheelie and no tarp. Dot boys started hitting them too.
Mike